Bellamy vs. White

Connorbear

5 hours ago, 50england50 said:

I can’t get the tribunes article in Europe due to GDRP (data protection law). Can anyone take a screen shot of the tribune article and post it

Here ya go:

Among those who have followed the Bears closely since Kevin White was drafted at No. 7 in 2015, there is a natural curiosity about how he might contribute to Matt Nagy’s offense now that the receiver has been healthy for the longest stretch of his professional career.

Meanwhile, that curiosity does not apply to fellow receiver Josh Bellamy, who steadily but unevenly has contributed as a reserve over the same three-plus seasons.

Their opportunities continue to attract outside scrutiny, even though White and Bellamy play different positions within the receiver group. White is a split end, or “X” receiver, behind Taylor Gabriel, while Bellamy is predominantly a flanker, or “Z.”

For a coach who values position versatility, White has played more snaps than Bellamy — 90 to 65 — but Bellamy has more targets — 6 to 2 — and catches — 3 to 2.

To help ease some of the outsiders’ consternation on the matter, Nagy was asked Friday what important distinctions between White and Bellamy stand out and compel him to use them differently.

“To me, they’re different receivers,” Nagy said. “Right now, Bellamy is playing more positions. He’s able to play all three. He moves around. He’s more of a slot. He can get away playing the slot. He can play outside playing the ‘Z.’ And if he has to go in and play the ‘X,’ which is Kevin’s spot, he can do that too.

“But Kevin has the size, and so you’re able to use what he has. And so they’re a little bit different but similar in the fact that they both are … that fifth-receiver-, fourth-receiver-type guy that’s battling.

“The easiest way to answer that is that they’re a little bit different, with the difference being one plays three positions and the other one plays one. Having somebody that plays more positions there’s more flexibility.”

Now it’s clear: Nagy prefers Bellamy’s versatility. That said, Nagy and Helfrich were critical this week that Bellamy at least did not force an incompletion on the interception that was intended for him near the right sideline on a scramble-drill play Sunday against the Patriots.

With Allen Robinson fighting through a groin injury this week, we’ll see if Bellamy continues to be the next man up at “Z” if Robinson is limited or sidelined.

Nagy reminded media Friday that Bellamy entered the league as an undrafted free agent in 2012 with the Chiefs. Then in 2013, Nagy joined their staff under coach Andy Reid, and Bellamy was with the team through that preseason. Since then, he has 65 catches in 65 career games with the Redskins and Bears.

“He understands where to be at within the concept,” Nagy said. “He has a little bit of an advantage with our offense in the fact that we were in Kansas City together for a short period. So he has a little bit of that. But he’s smart and he’s reliable. He can play multiple positions, and not every receiver can do that ... so that gives us an advantage when he's in there. He has been having a good week of practice, and I like where he's at.”

As for White, who is preparing to play just his 12th NFL game, Nagy acknowledged it’s challenging for him not be targeted as much as he had hoped.

“There’s a frustration part that can happen, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that,” Nagy said. “So when you’re in practice, sometimes your emotions or your actions show you might be down a little bit or frustrated.

“But we have communicated with each other. We talk. I’ve told you I’m big with that, and he has done that. He has turned it. He has flipped that, and now he understands that he just needs to worry about him. And if he does that then good things will happen.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-kevin-white-josh-bellamy-20181026-story.html