Alaskan Grizzly

I thought I'd throw a shout out to the veterans in the room with the title of this thread, although I know I'm mixing terminologies with the Hot Wash and SITREP meaning essentially the same thing.  What can you expect from a Navy guy?

Anyhow, I wanted to start a thread on overall post-season thoughts (sadly yes that's where we are) and most notably something I'm sincerely concerned about; where will Fangio end up next?  I can only hope back in Chicago...

I still love watching football and although the beloved are no longer in the mix as a fan of the sport, I'll still watch and cheer for a team (or two) that I think are deserving.  For now my pick for this years Championship will be New Orleans versus Kansas City.  Why KC?  Well for one, I can't bear the thought of seeing NE in another Super Bowl...they've had enough.  And the other, I'm really believing Andy Reid is due.  Yes I know he's been there before but the guy is due a championship at least once.  If for nothing else his 'coaching tree' has proven more successful, so far, than even Bill Belichek's.  I mean if you include Reid, until last night there were four coaches (Reid, Nagy, Pederson and Reich) from the Reid School of Coaching. That's pretty damn impressive.  And based on what I've seen with Nagy and heard about Reid, he's a damn good human being (besides being a solid coach).

On the other side and sticking with the 'human' factor, how can you not pull for Drew Brees?  This guy has done it all with relatively low recognition.  Won a Super Bowl AND been chosen as the NFL Man of the Year without ever getting an MVP for the season or Super Bowl.  The guy is a true legend in not just his play but his relation to his team, his community and his fellow man.   Someone you really encourage young players to emulate.   Good luck KC and NO.

1 hour ago, Elgin Slim said:

With Bowles and Pettine already hired, where do the Bears go for a DC if Fangio gets the Denver job? I was thinking about their personnel and there is no way in hell they could go back to a  4-3 if they had to, as their front 7 is very clearly 3-4 personnel. 

Well I would have suggested Mel Tucker as an option but it looks like he got the job as HC of Colorado if you can believe that.  I certainly didn’t when I read it.  https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/who-will-smart-hire-replace-tucker-defensive-coordinator/Fhjj8E1N8agUrNEVDcJeOO/

I of course kid due to him being a hot mess when he was in Chicago before.  Although he did turn out some pretty stout defenses while as DC in Georgia and produced players like Smith and Floyd so maybe he’s reformed? 

I digress...  Id think maybe an assistant like Pires or Donatell might be convinced to stick around?  At least they have some of the institutional knowledge already in place.  Or I had thought before that Steve Wilks could be a possibility.  He’s used 3-4 base defenses in other places he’s been and been a Chicago assistant coach in the past.  

I think it was Stinger that made the point now that Chicago is where they are, there will be good people who want to be a part of its growth so we may even see someone who were not considering ourselves.  

But really...deep down in my heart I’m hoping Vic says ‘nah thanks, I like where I’m at.’  Here’s to dreaming...

Vic already knows that Elway is an ass to work for, so this may be token interview for him.  You gotta keep your name in the press if you want to stay relevant.  If he turns Elway down, another shot will come and his stock will go up after we win the Superbowl.  That's my gut thought on what happens.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Vic already knows that Elway is an ass to work for, so this may be token interview for him.  You gotta keep your name in the press if you want to stay relevant.  If he turns Elway down, another shot will come and his stock will go up after we win the Superbowl.  That's my gut thought on what happens.

Man I wish you were right but just saw the announcement.  I was thinking the same thing about the chemistry of Elway and Vic.  To me it didn’t make sense and can’t see Vic wanting to put up with it but... here we are...looking for a new DC.  

Gosh I hope this doesn’t screw up the team. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

EX Navy guy myself and have no idea what your talking about.  Hot Wash SITREP. But then I was a snipe and no one ever talked to us.  LOL

Im kinda looking forward to a new DC.  Happy for Vic so lets see where the new guy takes us.

Ha! Us ‘Deck Apes’ didn’t talk to anyone because we had difficultly formulating complete sentences. Of course I did eventually learn to talk and wander into the world of MA.  

You’re right about the future.  Kinda cool to think about.  No doubt we have the personnel in place; just curious who will be  managing them.  

This falls into the category of SITREP but just heard on Bears news that Mack has an injured knee and won’t be participating in the Pro Bowl.  Story about it below.  Appears to be of the sprain category so hopefully all he’ll need is a nice restful offseason to get back to form.  

Explains why he looked a little slow in the game against Philly.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/bears-khalil-mack-drops-out-of-pro-bowl/