Buster Skrine, CB to Bears

adam

Looks like they found Callahan's replacement. Hopefully comes in cheap.

Update: not cheap, I do not like this signing. Skrine has been one of the worst CBs and most penalized CBs in the league. I don't know what Pace is thinking here. Over paid IMO.

3/$16.5 with $8.5 guaranteed seems steep for a perennial under performer. We will see what they get out of him but it seems like another Cooper signing. 

Evidently, the Bears see something in him:

Bears coach Matt Nagy spoke highly of Skrine before his team's October matchup with the Jets.

"He’s one of the better nickels in this league, if not the best," Nagy said. "I mean, he’s good. He’s a good nickel in there."

They just didn't draw a name out of the hat and say let's pay him. We will see if it turns out well.  The only way we know this is successful is when he plays. Pagano is a DB guy, I suspect he had some input in this , Pace does make some mistakes,  we don't know if this is one of them.

16 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

They just didn't draw a name out of the hat and say let's pay him. We will see if it turns out well.  The only way we know this is successful is when he plays. Pagano is a DB guy, I suspect he had some input in this , Pace does make some mistakes,  we don't know if this is one of them.

I suspect Pagano had a ton of input into this.  I don't know much about Skrine but his little highlight clip from a few years ago shows he's going to play with some attitude.   Which probably generates some penalties. 

I'm not surprised Pace had his plan B set and pulled the trigger early.  I assume the word is Callahan is drawing significant interest and quickly priced himself out of contention for the Bears.  Pace wasn't going to wait around and then lose out on the best tier 2 FA NB, at least the one he wanted.   Most here wanted Callahan back over Amos (assuming we can't have both) because we viewed the NB spot more critical to the success of the defense than SS.   In a way Pace validated that assessment even if Skrine is a downgrade.  

I seen a breakdown of both Skine and Callahan, stactisiclty They match up well. The biggest advantage to Skine is only missed 5 games in 4 yrs.  Has an attitude and Nagy deemed him the best nickelback in the league when we played the jets. With the 9 starters coming back,  he should fit in well. Played on bad teams the last few years.

13 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

He played on a crappy team.  Wait until he has our front seven wreaking havoc for him.

Good point.  He was on the Jets.  He'll be coming into a much better situation here.  Let's hope he pans out.  I was hoping we'd keep one of Callahan or Amos now it seems likely we'll keep neither with Amos gone and likely a lot of interest in Bryce.  If it were me I'd have a hard time leaving Chicago and what is being built here and not be a part of it.  But on the other hand both could have had their peak season and it's an opportunity to cash in and make the most of it.  Amos for sure is going to have a significant downgrade in talent around him.