Starter continuity

adam

Depending on how you look at it, we lost 2-3 starters from the core roster this offseason (Howard, Amos, and Callahan). Callahan is debatable based on the number of snaps and games played. What I find very interesting is that we will go into next offseason with even less turnover, which is incredible. We will more than likely extend Whitehair, and with Floyd's 5th year option a done deal, that only leaves Trevathan and HHCD as the only starting 22 not under contract for 2020.  With Jackson's contract extension looming in 2021, I assume they will extend him in 2020 with a long term deal. With the cap going up and Trubisky under his rookie deal thru 2021, it looks like they could pay Whitehair and Jackson, but will more than likely have to part ways with HHCD and Trevathan unless they take a team friendly deal. 

Players with expiring contracts after 2019:
1. Chase Daniel
2. Bradley Sowell
3. Cody Whitehair - *starter*
4. Jonathan Bullard
5. Roy Robertson-Harris
6. Aaron Lynch
7. Danny Trevathan - *starter*
8. Nick Kwiatkoski
9. HaHa Clinton-Dix - *starter*
10. Sherrick McManis
11. Deon Bush

10/11 Offensive starters signed thru 2020 (Whitehair)
9/11 Defensive starters signed thru 2020 (Trevathan, Clinton-Dix)

On 4/2/2019 at 8:20 PM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

We most likely lose Trevathan and Dix but will have a plethora of draft picks to address the S.  I thing Iggy may replace a Trevathan. We have cap to get Floyd and Whitehair under wraps early which can hell future years. 

Yeah, just saying that we are in really good shape and will have even less turnover next offseason. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

Yeah, just saying that we are in really good shape and will have even less turnover next offseason. 

It is a great sight to see.  Not sure why I repeated everything you said, ha.   With the team set like that, I can see Pace making some draft moves to get the RB they envision.  As of now, they won't need 8-9 players added in the 2020 draft. Maybe he uses one or two of those to move up.

1. Chase Daniel
2. Bradley Sowell
4. Jonathan Bullard
5. Roy Robertson-Harris
6. Aaron Lynch
8. Nick Kwiatkoski
10. Sherrick McManis
11. Deon Bush

Good teams draft for the replacement of these guys this year.  Unfortunately, we are not in that position.  Of course, some will sign long term deals, while others are year to year.

23 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

1. Chase Daniel
2. Bradley Sowell
4. Jonathan Bullard
5. Roy Robertson-Harris
6. Aaron Lynch
8. Nick Kwiatkoski
10. Sherrick McManis
11. Deon Bush

Good teams draft for the replacement of these guys this year.  Unfortunately, we are not in that position.  Of course, some will sign long term deals, while others are year to year.

The good news is we have 10 draft picks next year. We can easily flip one or two to move into this draft (if needed), or wait and use them all next year to restock some of these role players.

3 minutes ago, adam said:

The good news is we have 10 draft picks next year. We can easily flip one or two to move into this draft (if needed), or wait and use them all next year to restock some of these role players.

Ive been looking all over for this info, and I dont doubt you, but can you provide a link that shows we have 10 picks? Are some of them assumed compensatory picks?

1 hour ago, adam said:

I'm patient.  Moving picks from year to year is costly.  Once we get a solid reputation of developing players, our free agents will be even more desired.  It will be more important to have all of the picks.

2 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

Does anyone know where to find a list of our 2020 picks? Ive looked all over and cant find them - weird, it's the internet and everything.

I could not find a list.  I doubt we have 10 picks in 2020.  The Khalil Mack trade demanded that we give up 2 first round picks for 2019 & 2020.   A 2nd in 2019, a 6th in 2019,  and a 3rd in 2020.  We receive a 2nd in 2020 and a conditional 5th in 2020.  

What were the conditions of the 2020 5th round pick???  That he’s terrible or doesn’t play?  I’m skeptical we see that.  

At most we have 8 picks in 2020.  No #1.  Our #2, Oakland’s #2,  No #3, Our  #4, Our #5, maybe another #5 from Oakland, Our #6, Philly’s #6 for Howard and our #7.

Thanks Adam!

I'm not sure we will get any compensatory picks tho, and I doubt very highly we get the conditional pick from Oak, Mack has played well.

I think a likely reality is:

2nd (oak)
2nd
4th
5th
6th (from howard)
6th
7th

And maybe some low value compensatory, but I wouldnt be counting on another 4th at all.

I read where we are getting a 4th round comp only. Also players may be on the roster already to replace the expensive free agents. Joel Iggy  could be taking Trevathans place if he continues to develop.  A sure drop off but you have to have some cheap contracts with Trubisky contract coming in 20. I think we draft a CB and S as potential Dix and Prince replacements next year. Also tolliver and Joseph are still here. As some newer players get better , cheaper ones will be replacing expensive vets, just the way it works. 

I would not be surprised if Pace moves a pick from 2020 to pick up another pick this year. The nice thing is we have options and some cap flexibility to continue to re-sign 3-4 of our core players every year. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

I would not be surprised if Pace moves a pick from 2020 to pick up another pick this year. The nice thing is we have options and some cap flexibility to continue to re-sign 3-4 of our core players every year. 

I agree.  Everything is on the table when Pace is drafting.  Even if he's trading the pick he got in exchange for Howard to draft a kicker in Rd 7.  

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think the possibility exists we could move back in the 3rd and pick up a 5th or 6th round pick. I'm to lazy to look up the trade value is.

Depends on how far we move back, it could be a late 5th or early 6th.