Is this ridiculous?

fudgeripple2000

I am very uneasy with Pace saying that Trubisky is the quarterback going into next year.  I understand firing the O-line coach and the "OC".  I am looking at the quarterback position.  I am making the following argument as a potential win/win/win aka cover our ass scenario

Trubisky-we can blame the play calling, o-line, running game, blah blah blah.  Truth is this result is not entertaining.  And this teams sole purpose is to distract us from reality and entertain us.

17/10 (TD/INT) 63% completion.  3138 yards.  Sacked 38 times.  40.6 QBR

I never liked Cutler because he just didn't look like he cared.  Trubisky I think my be a little too soft.  Pace isn't done with him.  Would it be so bad, as many have said to bring in a vet to challenge him (he'll lose).  The vet that I have in mind can MAYBE show him something.  Draft a quarterback to develop.  So here is the win/win/win

WIN- (this year)vet beats out trubisky.  Mitch sits/watches/stews/earns his damn job.

WIN- (next year) mitch MAYBE wins job back

WIN-(2 years) developed quarterback challenges Mitch.

The vet I keep coming back to is Philip Rivers.

23/20 (TD/INT) 66%  4615 yards. Sacked 34 times  48.6 QBR

I am being realistic with this one.  Yes, the interceptions are bad.  Picking up Mariotta just doesn't make sense to me.  Rivers is a tough and proven winner.  All the other free agents we can't afford or would make a natural PR transition for Mitch potentially getting the job back.

Drafting a quarterback in the latter rounds will be there.  Especially if we look at them as a project.  With that in mind I would continue with the idea of drafting mobile quarterbacks that have more starting experience than Mitch did.

Jordan Love--Utah State

Tyler Huntley--Utah

Sam Ehlinger--Texas

I think that if they were:

1) planning on sticking with Trubisky,

2) bringing in competition while giving Trubisky a decent shot at being the starter

3) overhauling the QB position entirely and getting rid of Trubisky

that they would have said exactly the same thing, so I dont know if we can really say what the plan is at this point from what we know.

let's hope it's at least #2...

Pace is not going to show his hand. The minute he shows doubts in Trubisky, every free agent QB will have the leverage. 

If you watched the press conference, Nagy is much worse at dead panning than Pace. Nagy was curling his lips, biting his lips and was visibly uncomfortable when Trubisky questions were being asked or when Pace was answering them. 

All the offensive staff firings were pretty clear the direction the team is going in.

I am good with bringing in someone to compete with Trubisky. Let the best QB win.

6 hours ago, adam said:

If you watched the press conference, Nagy is much worse at dead panning than Pace. Nagy was curling his lips, biting his lips and was visibly uncomfortable when Trubisky questions were being asked or when Pace was answering them. 

I watched the presser again today and it really looked like Nagy and page we were on the same page.  They were both very non committal, except for their support of Mitch.

7 hours ago, adam said:

I am good with bringing in someone to compete with Trubiksy. Let the best QB win.

Saw on another site a guy wondering if Alex Smith might not be a bad option to bring in for next year? Says his contract isn’t too awfully bad and would be something the Bears could absorb . Might be the perfect option as a veteran challenger to Trubiksy given his understanding of the system.   That is provided his leg is healed.  

There are a few articles on it too.  
https://heavy.com/sports/2019/12/chicago-bears-alex-smith-2020/

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2019/12/30/if-perfectly-healthy-alex-smith-is-a-fantastic-short-term-fit-for-the-bears/

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Saw on another site a guy wondering if Alex Smith might not be a bad option to bring in for next year? Says his contract isn’t too awfully bad and would be something the Bears could absorb . Might be the perfect option as a veteran challenger to Trubiksy given his understanding of the system.   That is provided his leg is healed.  

There are a few articles on it too.  
https://heavy.com/sports/2019/12/chicago-bears-alex-smith-2020/

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2019/12/30/if-perfectly-healthy-alex-smith-is-a-fantastic-short-term-fit-for-the-bears/

This seems like a lot of speculation right now because Smith is still learning how to run again.  He may never be the running QB he once was and we have to consider how he can adapt when that part of his game is missing.  If healthy and for a cheap price I'd take him over Daniel but the contract is a big sticking point.   Nobody knows what Rivera thinks of him and Haskins either.  Right now he has a $32mil dead money but could free up $10mil in cap space for them if they cut him.  We're not going to trade for him and eat up $21mil in cap space to watch him learn how to play again.  I'm just not sure how this happens unless he is flat out cut and the Redskins give Rivera free rein over choosing his QB.     

12 hours ago, AZ54 said:

He may never be the running QB he once was and we have to consider how he can adapt when that part of his game is missing

Alex Smith was a running QB?  I don’t recall that ever being a huge piece of his game.  But if Teddy Bridgewater can return from the “gruesome” leg injury he had then possibly so too could Smith.  

Yeah I’m not sure on the contract piece other than the speculation of it not costing a lot for the Bears to absorb.  I think one scenario I saw had them trading Smith for Trubisky.  

And as much as I like Rivera, I have to believe Dan Snyder is the same as Jerry Jones in that what he says goes.  Wasn’t there something about former Skins coach Gruden not wanting to draft Haskins?  If Snyder wants Haskins as the starter then he will.  And besides that, isn’t it possible Haskins reminds Rivera of a young Newton?  What’s to say he doesn’t try to make a deal for Newton to Washington as a mentor to Haskins? 

Sure a lot of speculation but that’s what the off-season is all about. 

On 1/3/2020 at 8:08 AM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Alex Smith was a running QB?  I don’t recall that ever being a huge piece of his game.  But if Teddy Bridgewater can return from the “gruesome” leg injury he had then possibly so too could Smith.  

Yeah I’m not sure on the contract piece other than the speculation of it not costing a lot for the Bears to absorb.  I think one scenario I saw had them trading Smith for Trubisky.  

And as much as I like Rivera, I have to believe Dan Snyder is the same as Jerry Jones in that what he says goes.  Wasn’t there something about former Skins coach Gruden not wanting to draft Haskins?  If Snyder wants Haskins as the starter then he will.  And besides that, isn’t it possible Haskins reminds Rivera of a young Newton?  What’s to say he doesn’t try to make a deal for Newton to Washington as a mentor to Haskins? 

Sure a lot of speculation but that’s what the off-season is all about. 

Yes, Alex Smith was a pretty good runner very similar to Trubisky coming out of college.  One of the criticisms he had early in his NFL career was that he left the pocket too quickly.  Of course later he was benched by Jim Harbaugh for Kapaernick because Kap was a better runner.   All that has slowly evolved into the read-option stuff we see a lot of today across the league.  

I had similar thoughts about Rivera struggling with Snyder's meddling ownership.  I wonder how their conversation about Haskins went.