Bears post draft depth chart

50england50

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2020/4/29/21238672/chicago-bears-2020-nfl-draft-previewing-bears-depth-chart-cole-kmet-nick-foles-mitchell-trubisky

See the link above it’s a good depth chart breakdown and to easily see where all the players line up. I think it’s time for Bush to step up at strong safety because there are players left in free agency with significantly more defensive snaps. As you can see below his defensive snaps have been low and his base salary is $1,262,500 which seems a lot of money for a special teamer  

Defense Special Solo Assist Sacks Yards TFL QB Hits Pass Def. INT Yards Forced Rec. Yards
2016 11 2 3 31.0% 18.2% 17 5 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
2017 13 3 1 8.1% 43.7% 4 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2018 15 1 0 14.4% 45.7% 8 0 1 7 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0
2019 15 0 1 5.4% 62.2%

It’s pretty stark when you see some of this ‘on paper’.  Especially when your talking depth at the RB, ILB and Safety positions. 

With really only Monty, Cohen and Nall as your vets on the roster you have to think they aren’t done with just adding Pierce and Maxwell.  The fact that Nall has yet to crack any measurable significant game time after three (?) years makes me think he could be expendable.  

I’m personally happy to see Ridley listed as the potential ‘Z’ receiver but not sure he’s ‘there’ yet.  Even though a bigger body I still like Wims there; more polished ... right now.  

Not that we need more TEs but frankly I’m surprised they haven’t looked at Patterson as a possible U or Y TE (whichever the one is that catches more).  Maybe due to his value as a ST player is such that they don’t want to use him more than they do?

With the loss of JPL and Kwit the depth at ILB fell off pretty quick.  Haven’t seen alot from Woods and Iggy to think they are the solution at backup.  Someone in this group will need to be ready if Trevathan slows. Someone else suggested the idea of trying  little Mack out at ILB?  That might not be all that bad of any idea.  

And safety.  Wow...scary...at least in the SS role.  Agree that our full time starter (for at least this year) isn’t probably on the team right now.  But if he is, he might be located somewhere in the CB depth (Denmark or Vildor).   Personally I’m not a believer in Bush... yet.  And what a drop off from Jackson in the FS depth to DHC.  As with the SS I suspect we’ll see one of those guys currently listed as a CB move over to help there.   

Don't forget they talked about using Patterson more as a RB.  Something he was successful at in NE. 

Woods and Iggy didn't play much because of Kwit and JPL.  It's there time to show they belong  or be cut. The 2 ILBs we got as UDFAs were very productive in college.  Maybe they get a shot. 

The Offensive Line battle is going to be a good one, the team will only keep 8-9 on the 53-man:

LT - Charles Leno Jr., Jason Spriggs        
LG - James Daniels, Arlington Hambright (R), Lachavious Simmons (R)        
C - Cody Whitehair, Sam Mustipher     
RG - Germain Ifedi, Alex Bars, Corey Levin, Dieter Eiselen (R)    
RT - Bobby Massie, Rashaad Coward, Badara Traore  

I think the 6 in bold are locks, leaving 2-3 spots for the rest. A few guys will slide onto the PS. Spriggs either makes the team or is released.

11 hours ago, adam said:

The Offensive Line battle is going to be a good one, the team will only keep 8-9 on the 53-man:

LT - Charles Leno Jr., Jason Spriggs        
LG - James Daniels, Arlington Hambright (R), Lachavious Simmons (R)        
C - Cody Whitehair, Sam Mustipher     
RG - Germain Ifedi, Alex Bars, Corey Levin, Dieter Eiselen (R)    
RT - Bobby Massie, Rashaad Coward, Badara Traore  

I think the 6 in bold are locks, leaving 2-3 spots for the rest. A few guys will slide onto the PS. Spriggs either makes the team or is released.

I like the Bears inside oline depth. I think Hambright makes a case for himself too.  He started in 3 different schemes/systems from juco, OKL, and then Colorado. He can play pretty much any position except C too. If they can establish the RG position early on and then shuffle the remaining pcs after, they could have Massie/Leno pressing with the leftovers (Ifedi, Spriggs, Cowherd, Bars, Hambright, Simmons) knocking on their door.  Oline coach Castillo like his players aggressive, little different approach, so it will be interesting battle. 

Next year they can shed Massie and Leno and use their cap savings to extend Ifedi and Spriggs if they earn their spot. They will also have high draft picks to address a spot along the oline.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2020/4/29/21238672/chicago-bears-2020-nfl-draft-previewing-bears-depth-chart-cole-kmet-nick-foles-mitchell-trubisky

The depth has been updated. I suppose the only areas which could be improved is the 2nd running back and an improvement at the tackle position although I can’t see the later being addressed. 

I think on paper this projected depth chart looks better than last year. The only issue going forward is when will the season start and how will this look. I think sport will look vastly different when the country’s come out of lock down at least until a vaccine is found. 

If we wait until they find a vaccine that will be 12-18 months of shutdown.  That won't happen.  MLB is working out  a system starting July 1st. I think the NFL is planning on a normal schedule maybe minus crowds at first.  As soon as one sport starts up there all going to jump back in. May is going to be the determining factor on what happens going forward.