On Trubisky

Connorbear

MItch is a heck of a teammate. He's a really good dude and it's easy to root for him. He's also better than 99% of the people that play QB in the world. However, he's not better than the vast majority NFL starting QBs. I wish it would have worked out for him but it didn't. Where he was drafted was not his fault. I wish him all the best going forward.

Drafting QBs is a crapshoot. The year Cade McNown was drafted, there were 5 QBs taken in the first 12 picks (Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Donovan McNabb, Dante Culpepper and McNown). Three of the five were complete busts. 

All the draft analysis I read had Trubisky as a top-10 draft pick. Pace obviously loved all the leadership traits that Mitch showed and probably felt they could fix any technical issues he had. They obviously got it wrong. 

The larger problem is Pace has not drafted any other QBs anywhere in the draft. Tyler Bray is in his 3rd year as the 3rd string QB. He'll be 29 at the end of the season. He's not a developmental player. 

When the Packers had Favre, they drafted Mark Brunnell, Matt Hasselback, Aaron Brooks and Aaron Rodgers. Brunnell and Hasselback were both traded. You have to invest in the position and, once you realize you've made a mistake, move on.

Peace

1 hour ago, Connorbear said:

You have to invest in the position and, once you realize you've made a mistake, move on.

Didn’t Pace say he would draft a QB every year when he started?  Seems by now he’d of found a good developmental player. For example; Jalen Hurts this year would’ve been a great option.  

17 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Didn’t Pace say he would draft a QB every year when he started?  Seems by now he’d of found a good developmental player. For example; Jalen Hurts this year would’ve been a great option.  

On investment, Pace has wasted two drafts worth of players reaching for greatness.  That's a solid OL and backups at every key skill set.  Playing Monday morning QB, I agree with some,  but not all.  Future drafts and cap are crucial.  3-0 baby!

It's a damn crime that Pace has only drafted 1 quarterback since taking over the team. I don't care who is quarterbacking your team, if you only draft one quarterback in 5 years, or however long it's been, that's terrible. 

I said at the end of last year my plan was to double down on quarterbacks in the offseason: draft one and sign/trade for one. They got the guy I wanted (after Brady, of course), but then failed to draft a developmental guy in the draft, so we end up getting stuck with Tyler Bray again... 

How fun would it be right now if the Bears had Foles AND a young quarterback behind him that you could have as an option in a worse-case scenario? I look at a team like the Chargers who drafted Justin Herbert and seeing how well he's been playing for them lately. I watched Jacksonville do it last year with Minshew.. To me, it makes almost no sense to not draft a quarterback almost every year, just to have developing behind your starter. Hell, you can even use those guys as trade tools down the road, depending on how good your starter is. Think about Jimmy G. Even if they aren't going to play for you, they can become an asset.

44 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

Well we will draft one next year for sure.

Yeah - they are going back to QB well and if there is one thing that we've learned - the best QB doesn't always go first, so you never know - picking (hopefully) later in the 1st shouldn't necessarily prevent the team from finding an awesome QB.  

I say - Bears might have been lucky in the sense that they got a clear answer on Mitch vs. the Texans who just paid Watson a massive amount of money. 

13 hours ago, Connorbear said:

MItch is a heck of a teammate. He's a really good dude and it's easy to root for him. He's also better than 99% of the people that play QB in the world. However, he's not better than the vast majority NFL starting QBs. I wish it would have worked out for him but it didn't. Where he was drafted was not his fault. I wish him all the best going forward.

Drafting QBs is a crapshoot. The year Cade McNown was drafted, there were 5 QBs taken in the first 12 picks (Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Donovan McNabb, Dante Culpepper and McNown). Three of the five were complete busts. 

All the draft analysis I read had Trubisky as a top-10 draft pick. Pace obviously loved all the leadership traits that Mitch showed and probably felt they could fix any technical issues he had. They obviously got it wrong. 

The larger problem is Pace has not drafted any other QBs anywhere in the draft. Tyler Bray is in his 3rd year as the 3rd string QB. He'll be 29 at the end of the season. He's not a developmental player. 

When the Packers had Favre, they drafted Mark Brunnell, Matt Hasselback, Aaron Brooks and Aaron Rodgers. Brunnell and Hasselback were both traded. You have to invest in the position and, once you realize you've made a mistake, move on.

Peace

Can't argue with any of this and that was my first thought when he was pulled and Foles was put in.  Mitch's time is done here, I have a lot of respect for the kid, just too bad he's not better at football.