Expectations.

Bill

Almost 60 years of watching the Bears.  I told myself I would not say anything anymore after Monday night.  But here I am.  I have infested more time and emotions than I want to say,   And still have had my heart ripped out for all but one season   If my mind was not so weak I would list all the games I have watched since the 70's, 80's 90'  into the next century when they did not close the season.  Still they are not the Lions, Minnesota, or any of a dozen teams who have not won the big one.  They are and will always be the most storied franchise in NFL history   

Then I read a story on on the Bears web site.  

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/chicago-bears-offense-continues-to-work-on-forging-identity-nick-foles

Went to the Chincy web site and though they don"t have the record the Bears have they have scored ten more TD's.  All new coaching and everything.  Rookie QB and they still have a better offense then the Bears have.  

Old, tired, and done.

Bill although I haven’t been watching the Bears quite as long as you, I totally get what you’re saying.  It has been a long time since 2006 and an even longer time since 1985.  We were ‘this close’ (or so it seemed) two years ago then stopped because a kicker couldn’t get it through the uprights.  Not once but twice...on the same kick.  So goes Bears football.  And so too go Bears fans.  As you said, this is a storied franchise and frankly I’m proud to be a Bears fan regardless of how well they do or don’t do.  The NFL has done numerous polls and over the years Bears fans generally aren’t only  found to be the smartest when it comes to football but the most loyal and true fans.  Look in most away games (when we’re not in a pandemic) and you’ll find the stadium packed with Bears fans. That’s pretty damn cool.  Speaking of ‘damn cool‘ check out this photo I attached below.  That’s 5th round Rookie pick Darnell Mooney going up top to catch a pass.  He’s in it to win it.  I think things will look better before they get worse this year.  I haven’t lost faith...yet.

AD51136C-A62F-4FD7-BAE8-9BAD6A5A33E9.jpeg

I have been watching since the late 70s (the earliest season I can remember is 78) so I understand your frustration. Unfortunately, it has always come down to the QB. Without one, you can only be so good on offense. 

There were so many times the Bears missed on QBs, it kills me. How about Aaron Rodgers? The Bears drafted Grossman 23rd in 2003, but started Hutchinson, Krenzel, and Quinn in 2004, which ultimately gave the Bears the #4 pick. Instead of going with who some thought was the best QB in the draft, went with Benson. Rodgers went 24th, and GB didn't even want him, but couldn't pass up on the value. Jason Campbell went one pick later to Washington. If GB doesn't pick Rodgers, he would've been a Redskin. 

For now, it is an indictment on Pace. He drafted Trubisky with Watson available. That to me to this day is still inexcusable. It would've been different if Trubisky was the only 1st Round QB picked or the Bears didn't trade up to get him. That to me was a double down. It didn't work, the Bears need to move on and find a GM that can find a QB. 

Compare that pick to what Washington did in 2019. They picked Haskins, it hasn't worked, but he was the 3rd QB picked. Not the first, and they didn't trade up to get him.

Then you look at his year, Burrow, Tua, and Herbert. They all may turn out to be good. The 4th QB taken in the first round? Jordan Love to the Packers. Who knows if that will work out.

Also, Pace traded up for Monty, traded into a year prior draft for Miller when guys like McLaurin and Metcalf could've been picked the next year with the original pick. Pace is one of those guys that thinks he is the smartest guy in the room, then looks like a complete ass when his ideas end up like the jump to conclusions mat.

These jobs are not that hard. With today's analytics, it is much easier to project what players will do over the course of a season and career than ever before. Even with play calling and play design. Since the offense is the only one who knows what the play is, there should be someone open on every play. If the defense adjusts to take that away, you audible into something else. 

My problem with Pace is that he's an emotional drafter.  Nobody can tell me that Trubisky was rated so my much higher than Watson and machines that he needed to give up what he did.  The thing is, he loved Mitch and had to have him at all cost.  He loved Shaheen, Monty, Cohen, Floyd and Miller the same way.  Too many draft picks lost because he was invested in these guys.  As a GM, you have to treat it like inventory.  No more trading picks, as we are going to suffer the next few years.