Bears @ Titans - Week 9 - Official Game Thread - 11/8, Bears +6, 12:00 PM CT, FOX

adam

Bears getting 6 pts. Hard to see how the Bears pull this one out after the last two games. Offensive Line is decimated and we are not very good at stopping the run. Henry looks to have a big day.

Until they show anything, this is an L. The only way I can see them winning is if they get a Special Teams or Defensive score.

Titans 27-13.

• adam featured this topic

This is what the Bears have been up against this year, their 3 losses have come against teams with a top 10 Defensive DVOA, and the Titans come in with the 20th ranked Defensive DVOA. I feel like the opponent's defenses have not gotten enough credit for what they have done to the offense. I think we are going to see a better offensive game, even with the patchwork O-Line. I still have my doubts, but more optimistic than I was originally. I am going with Titans 27-23 and the Bears cover, but I can see the Bears winning this by a FG. 

A couple of key injuries for Titans, Clowney is questionable, Kern (their punter) is out, and Humphries, their slot WR is also out.

Defensive DVOA:
DET - 17 W
NYG - 18 W
ATL - 22 W
IND - 3 L
TB - 1 W
CAR - 25 W
LAR - 9 L
NO - 8 L
TEN - 20
MIN - 16

There must be offensive linemen on other teams practice squads better than the Bears are using today and probably all season. 

This must be the worst linemen historically the Bears have ever had. Gabe Carimi was bad  I don’t know if this bad.

This is embarrassing.

I think this season is done. I will keep watching but offensively we are inept  

Pathetic offense again.  Opportunity to at least get a fig before halftime nice return sets us up on the Titans side of the 50.  Dumb penalties strike again and we just go backwards.

At this point is there any reason to even try running?   We follow ups sack with a run up the middle for nothing. This has to be the worst offense we’ve seen in a long time. 

And Leno...the only guy who’s been on the line as a starter since last year... gets a  False Start penalty.  Followed with a Hands to the Face penalty by Ifedi. The only other guy starting on the line since the beginning of this year.  

Juan Castillo was supposed to be an improvement over Hiestand eh? 

I’ve been a Bears fan since I was in grade school so this encompasses part of the 70’s and this offense in terms of organization, coordination, and imagination might be the worse I’ve seen. Time for Nagy to go, he’s overmatched and what Pace has done to not address the offensive line is alone grounds for dismissal. 

What.a.joke. So the offense scores 17 and allows 7 for a net +10 pts, the defense allows 17 and lose. Both TD's against Skrine in coverage. Mack and Quinn still have not shown up on the stat sheet, yet again, but Edwards and Mingo are balling out?

Two fumbles on offense, one taken back for a TD.

This was all on Nagy, zero clock management. On the Bears last first TD drive, the Bears had the ball with 7:21 left at the TEN 30. Nick Foles threw an incompletion on 3rd Down from the 25 at 5:33. So 3 plays took almost 2 minutes!!!!! The Bears were down 3 scores, so have to score with well over 6 minutes left to give yourself a chance. Then, guess what happens, even after a Miller fumble, you still have enough time to score and do an onside kick. If you didn't waste 2 minutes, you could've kicked off to TEN and had a chance to win the game with about 50 seconds left, if the defense made another stop. Unbelievable. 

The Bears really have to look at a fire sale this offseason.

They need to move on from Mack (26.6M), Quinn (14.7M), Leno (11.3M), Graham (10M), Massie (9.3M), and Skrine (6.1M). Mack and Quinn would have to be traded, and I would try really hard to move at least one of them.

14 minutes ago, adam said:

They need to move on from Mack (26.6M), Quinn (14.7M), Leno (11.3M), Graham (10M), Massie (9.3M), and Skrine (6.1M). Mack and Quinn would have to be traded, and I would try really hard to move at least one of them.

I think it would be smart to move on from Mack at this point. This team is more than 1 or 2 players away from being a SB contender on offense, and by the time they find the quarterback that can get them there, a lot of their defensive players will be too old. Hicks, Mack, Quinn, Fuller maybe soon.. 

If they can get a early or mid 1st round pick for Mack this year, I'd think long and hard about it. I wouldn't do it for anything else, though. 

8 minutes ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

I think it would be smart to move on from Mack at this point. This team is more than 1 or 2 players away from being a SB contender on offense, and by the time they find the quarterback that can get them there, a lot of their defensive players will be too old. Hicks, Mack, Quinn, Fuller maybe soon.. 

If they can get a early or mid 1st round pick for Mack this year, I'd think long and hard about it. I wouldn't do it for anything else, though. 

They should probably do that mid-season next year. 

Mack and Hicks should go next. 

This offseason they need to move Fuller and Robinson, with Robinson on a tag and trade. 

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

Nagy & OL, and if you want to make the argument that this is on Pace, fine, fire him too.

First question for a new GM and/or coach hire - do you believe you can resurrect Leno? If they say yes, pass on them.

I'd fire Pace way before Nagy.  The OL is a dumpster fire and no way you can build any type of offense on what we've been seeing.  I'm going to do another breakdown tomorrow.  I'm starting to sour on a surprise player...

4 hours ago, adam said:

So you’re suggesting a rebuild? Right after posting how well the defense did against a pretty decent team in Tennessee?  And despite three straight losses are still 5-4? 

Yes I get the offense is a mess but not all of that is the construction of the team.  The o-line has been beat up by injuries and more recently COVID (which caused some issues this week).  Maybe if they instead can Nagy now, start playing a more balanced offense and get players in positions to succeed there may be a chance to salvage what’s left of this season. Yes I’d even go as far as put Trubisky back in when he’s healthy and hell I’d even be willing to see what Bray can do at this point.  I don’t see the season as a total loss...yet.  

I’d still like to know where the hell L. Miller is.  For what it’s worth Nall looked good in spot play; yes it was garbage time but it mixed things up a bit and looked more productive with him in.     

Edited by Alaskan Grizzly

12 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

So you’re suggesting a rebuild? Right after posting how well the defense did against a pretty decent team in Tennessee?  And despite three straight losses are still 5-4? 

Yes I get the offense is a mess but not all of that is the construction of the team.  The o-line has been beat up by injuries and more recently COVID (which caused some issues this week).  Maybe if they instead can Nagy now, start playing a more balanced offense and get players in positions to succeed there may be a chance to salvage what’s left of this season. Yes I’d even go as far as put Trubisky back in when he’s healthy and hell I’d even be willing to see what Bray can do at this point.  I don’t see the season as a total loss...yet.  

I’d still like to know where the hell L. Miller is.  For what it’s worth Nall looked good in spot play; yes it was garbage time but it mixed things up a bit and looked more productive with him in.     

AG, the main reason is the cap crunch for next season. The Bears are over the cap by 25M at a minimum, so there is not much you can do that this point. That's why ARob hasn't been or will not be extended, they can't fit him into the cap that is already grossly over the limit. There is no choice, this was the last year with Trubisky on his 4th year without a 5th year option and Foles in as the backup. It didn't work with this core and now you have too many guys coming up on new deals. 

This team is still a QB and a few OL away from being a true contender. The defense is good enough to keep you in games like yesterday but the offense is literally the worst in the league. The Jets have a better offense, that says a lot. 

The Quinn signing was a desperation signing that was not needed. Pace would've been better off signing 2 OL for the same price. The team would look completely different if we signed Conklin and Bulaga and had a line with those two, Whitehair and Daniels. Then you could've kicked Massie or Leno inside or tried to trade them for anything (even if you had to retain some salary). I think we are a 7-8 win team with those two at tackle and without Quinn. Mingo and Edwards have played great for vet minimums. Urban too. It's unfortunate because this defense was very solid.

1 hour ago, adam said:

This team is still a QB and a few OL away from being a true contender. The defense is good enough to keep you in games like yesterday but the offense is literally the worst in the league. The Jets have a better offense, that says a lot. 

Sure I get that and understand the concerns about next year’s money.  I’m just not quite ready to give up on this year. Especially since our team is still 5-4 and just went through one of the roughest patches of it’s schedule. Will they make changes this year to adjust the offense?  Enough for it to win or at least stay in the game?  I’m hoping so.