Loser Bowl 2.0 Watson vs Developmental QB Game of the Week, On sometime, on some channel

adam

Imagine if they won last week, what we'd be saying about this team?

The way this season is going, they're going to win out and miss out with a 9-7 record. AZ only has 6 losses, and I think hold the tiebreaker against the Bears, which means they'd need to lose 2 of their next 3 to miss the post-season. They've got PHI, SF, and LAR remaining on their schedule.. In other words, not likely.

Instead, they'll just freak up their draft position in typical Bears fashion and we'll get one more run it back year with Pace and Nagy, probably without Mitch.

Credit to Trubisky for playing his best game of the season, though. He's played pretty well since returning as the starter, and I thought today was even better than last week. When he gets a running game and doesn't have to throw it downfield, he can be a pretty efficient quarterback. I thought the 1st half playcalling was really good, but I was frustrated in the 2nd half to see them only able to muster up 6 points in the 2nd half while they were blowing HOU out. 

4 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Imagine if Trubiksy were in Kyle Shanahan’s offense.  

Yes. I've been saying for a while now that Trubisky's ceiling is probably what Jimmy G was last year, and that he belongs in a Kyle Shanahan-style offense, because of all the roll out stuff. 

If only we had a coach here who would wake up and see what everybody else has been saying for the past two years. When Mitch gets in a groove, he's usually using his legs as a weapon, both in the run and pass game. 

2 hours ago, 50england50 said:

Well I’m still hoping that the Eagles beat the Cardinals, we win out and if necessary the Rams beat the cardinals in their last game. 

wonder how the season would have gone if Nagy hadn’t tried his Foles experiment. Thought the benching of Mitch was harsh anyway. 

After seeing what Philly did to NO, an ARZ win is not a lock for next week. SF always plays them tough and the Rams are still in it from a bye perspective.

13 hours ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

Imagine if they won last week, what we'd be saying about this team?

The way this season is going, they're going to win out and miss out with a 9-7 record. AZ only has 6 losses, and I think hold the tiebreaker against the Bears, which means they'd need to lose 2 of their next 3 to miss the post-season. They've got PHI, SF, and LAR remaining on their schedule.. In other words, not likely.

Instead, they'll just freak up their draft position in typical Bears fashion and we'll get one more run it back year with Pace and Nagy, probably without Mitch.

If the Bears win out and ARZ loses one, they would have the same record, conference record, but the Bears would have the tiebreaker with common games.

ARZ wins against NYG, losses to LAR, DET, CAR, and one remaining against LAR, max 2-3 in common games, or at worst 1-4.

CHI wins against NYG, DET, CAR, losses against DET, LAR, 3-2 in common games.

If MIN loses to CHI and CHI wins their remaining games, MIN can finish no better than 8-8.

The Bears have to beat the Vikings this week in Minnesota, or none of it will matter. The team that loses is basically eliminated based on tie-breakers and would need ARZ to lose their remaining 3 AND the winner of Bears-Vikings to lose their last 2 to get in.

Here is the remaining schedules:

ARZ - PHI, SF, @LAR
MIN - CHI, @NO, @DET
CHI - @MIN, @JAX, GB

15 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Imagine if Trubiksy were in Kyle Shanahan’s offense.  

I don't know how much better he would be. Would he be better, yes, not by much. Is he more mobile than a traditional pocket passer, yes, but it's not like he is elusive or truly a mobile QB. Speaking of that vaunted SF offense, their starting QBs have 4 of the lowest QBR's for a game this season. 

Trubisky posted the Bears' highest QBR for the season at 67.8, and yet it's only the 24th highest for an NFC North QB this season. Rodgers has 11 games better, and Stafford and Cousins both have 6. That is how far the QB position has come back down to earth after 2018. Trubisky only had one start better than 67.8 in 2019, the Week 14 win against Dallas (83.3). In 2018, Trubisky had the top 2 NFC North QB performances, 4 out of the top 5, AND 6 out of the top 10 with 6 games with an 83.0 or higher. He had 9 starts with a QBR of 68.0 or higher in 2018, and 2 since.

7 hours ago, adam said:

The Bears have to beat the Vikings this week in Minnesota, or none of it will matter.

This is why you always play to win...all the way to the end.  You never know what will happen.  

Earlier this year you pointed out that GB having their bye so early would be an advantage to us.  Didn’t quite work out that way BUT the season isn’t over yet.  They’ve been going a long time without a break.  Detroit played them tough yesterday but lost Stafford when they most needed him. No we won’t catch them but I’m fairly comfortable they won’t last long into the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

I don't know how much better he would be. Would he be better, yes, not by much. Is he more mobile than a traditional pocket passer, yes, but it's not like he is elusive or truly a mobile QB. Speaking of that vaunted SF offense, their starting QBs have 4 of the lowest QBR's for a game this season. 

Garaoppolo would be better but injury has gotten the best of him.

I think Shanahan is much better at running and calling the offense than Nagy is.  Kyles offense is very similar to how his dad ran his offensive schemes.   You can literally plug and play a RB and get a 1,000 yards from them.  His zone blocking would play better to Trubiskys strength of being mobile.  Problem in Chicago is you don’t really have zone blockers.  Your tackles have to be as mobile as your interior linemen for it to work.  Ifedi at RT is more mobile than Massie is for sure. Maybe part of why they looked a little better.  Won’t really know until they play a better team.  

10 hours ago, 50england50 said:

Wonder how the season would have gone if Nagy hadn’t tried his Foles experiment. Thought the benching of Mitch was harsh anyway. 

Hindsight being what it is, yes the benching was a bad choice.  However Trubiksy had just thrown a horrible INT and Foles coming into the game gave the whole offense some life.  You saw that for a few games afterward but then opposing teams figured it out.  That being the oline isn’t very good for a true pocket passer like Foles and just started rushing him more and took him off his game.  

You pair that with the loss of half their starting line about halfway through the season (injury and COVID protocol) and the defense basically giving up, it was bound to all fall apart.  They’ve been piecemealing the offensive line since about 3-4 weeks ago and may have finally found their best combo with Leno, Whitehair, Mustipher, Bars and Ifedii...and the return of Trubisky.  We’ll see how it plays out.  

15 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

This is why you always play to win...all the way to the end.  You never know what will happen.  

Earlier this year you pointed out that GB having their bye so early would be an advantage to us.  Didn’t quite work out that way BUT the season isn’t over yet.  They’ve been going a long time without a break.  Detroit played them tough yesterday but lost Stafford when they most needed him. No we won’t catch them but I’m fairly comfortable they won’t last long into the playoffs. 

I agree that you play to win until officially eliminated because you can't predict the order of the wins and losses as they come in.

PIT and TEN got their Week 4 game postponed, then DEN, DET, GB, and NE had byes in Week 5. TEN started 5-0, and is 4-4 since without a break. Obviously, PIT won 11 straight and has now dropped 2 straight and don't look particularly good for the best record in the NFL.

GB has now played in 9 straight weeks, and that will eventually catch up to you.

18 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Garaoppolo would be better but injury has gotten the best of him.

I think Shanahan is much better at running and calling the offense than Nagy is.  Kyles offense is very similar to how his dad ran his offensive schemes.   You can literally plug and play a RB and get a 1,000 yards from them.  His zone blocking would play better to Trubiskys strength of being mobile.  Problem in Chicago is you don’t really have zone blockers.  Your tackles have to be as mobile as your interior linemen for it to work.  Ifedi at RT is more mobile than Massie is for sure. Maybe part of why they looked a little better.  Won’t really know until they play a better team.  

The O-Lines do make a huge difference. 

What is weird about Shanny's perception vs reality is he has yet to have 1,000 yard rusher in SF as the HC (in 4 years) and is 28-33 as a HC with what looks like to be his 3rd losing season out of 4. Every team has injuries, but SF and Shanny seem to get some of the biggest benefit of doubt with them than any other team in the league. 

20 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Hindsight being what it is, yes the benching was a bad choice.  However Trubiksy had just thrown a horrible INT and Foles coming into the game gave the whole offense some life.  You saw that for a few games afterward but then opposing teams figured it out.  That being the oline isn’t very good for a true pocket passer like Foles and just started rushing him more and took him off his game.  

You pair that with the loss of half their starting line about halfway through the season (injury and COVID protocol) and the defense basically giving up, it was bound to all fall apart.  They’ve been piecemealing the offensive line since about 3-4 weeks ago and may have finally found their best combo with Leno, Whitehair, Mustipher, Bars and Ifedii...and the return of Trubisky.  We’ll see how it plays out.  

I think the expectation was for Foles to be somewhere between what he did in ATL and what Trubisky did. I don't think anyone expected him to be that bad. Then when you should probably go back to Trubisky, he was injured, so you wait a few more weeks, but by then it is almost too late. I know the bye seemed like the best option, but it would've been nice for him to get some live reps after being out that long before the GB game.

4 hours ago, adam said:

what looks like to be his 3rd losing season out of 4.

But one season removed from going to the SB.  He has had a pretty bad go with injuries and COVID this year.  One week they had to work out of Arizona for a week because of it.  Not saying that doesn’t happen to anyone else just that it’s a disruptor.  I don’t think Mullens is all that good a QB.  Rumors are he’s (Shannahan) looking for a QB in the draft.  Wouldn’t it be curious if he ended up with Trubisky somehow? 

19 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Wouldn’t it be curious if he ended up with Trubisky somehow? 

Now that would be a serious full circle, but I wouldn't put it past them. Like you said, he is a better fit in that type of offense and is "good enough" with the right pieces.