Pagano Neutered Leonard Floyd

Mongo3451

I'm watching Leonard Floyd and he's everything we wanted him to be.  Last year of Fangio, he had the hand injury and got 4.5 sacks.  Under two years of Pagano, he got 7.  He has eight this year while competing with Aaron Donald.  Great job Pace and Pagano for giving us an older Quinn at a higher price and an older age.  Bravo!  What a cluster f$&k!

On 12/10/2020 at 9:59 PM, Mongo3451 said:

I'm watching Leonard Floyd and he's everything we wanted him to be.  Last year of Fangio, he had the hand injury and got 4.5 sacks.  Under two years of Pagano, he got 7.  He has eight this year while competing with Aaron Donald.  Great job Pace and Pagano for giving us an older Quinn at a higher price and an older age.  Bravo!  What a cluster f$&k!

I wouldn't say Floyd is everything we wanted him to be, but he is light years ahead of Quinn who got lazy once he got paid.

The scheme really makes a difference, but so does having arguably the best interior lineman and perennial DPOY on that line. There is a huge difference between having to worry about interior pressure vs edge pressure. With Mack on the other edge, you can always chip with the TE and RB as well as shift protection to that side. However, on an interior guy like Donald, you basically lose the RB chip and any TE help. 

It is interesting to look at what Quinn did with Donald, from 2014-2017 he basically averaged 10 sacks per 16 games with Donald (9.7 to be exact) and Floyd is on pace for 9.2.  

Floyd has consistently been an underachiever even before Mack on the Bears. I think the change of scenery has pushed him so he can get a nice hefty contract. I bet he does and I bet his performance dips once he gets paid.

He didnt shine while Fangio was here either. I think sometimes going to another team motivates a player and probably would not be much difference this year than before. He is making 6.6 mil this year in LA. If we kept him he was up to be paid in the 10 mil range and that is why Pace gave up on him. A different scheme , more aggressive would definitely mattered for this team this year. I think Pagano is a big part of the problem. Also , you're right Quinn relaxed, in Dallas he was playing for a contract last year, he got it here.