Draft’mas Eve - will GM Pace finally deliver a QB?

ParkerBear7

As always I’m amped up for the Draft here on the eve of the 1st round just like a kid the night before Christmas!  

Will Pace do right by the team or will he get selfish and greedy like the grinch?  Gamble  the Bears future with a huge Trade up, stay put, or trade back and infuse team with more potential talent? These are among just a few of the questions and draft scenarios we all ponder.

Here is my final Mock that addresses current and future needs!

LB Tulsa
    OT Notre Dame
    OT Michigan

QB Stanford

QB Georgia
    WR Florida

EDGE Florida State

WR Stanford

CB Oregon

WR San Jose State

DT Florida
    S Illinois State

Or this mock!

EDGE Miami (FL)
    OT Notre Dame

OT Michigan
    QB Texas A&M
    QB Stanford
    WR Louisville
    CB Oklahoma State
    S LSU

WR Stanford

CB Oregon

WR San Jose State

7 hours ago, jason said:

I’m actually intrigued by the double WB approach. Kind of genius to be honest. Protect Dalton for a year with two monsters, and then roll the dice twice on rookie QBs. Put pressure on them to prove their worth.

Precisely! Washington did this a few years ago when they drafted RG3 and Cousins!  It ultimately was Cousins who became the dependable starter.  In my opinion, GM’s are putting too much weight on getting that 5th year option and more often then not they are reaching for QB’s in round 1.  I certainly understand why they do this but if they could just do the opposite and only select first rounders based on merit; then players who need to be developed can do so under the tutelage of NFL coaches.

What’s the worst thing that can happen?  You either draft a player in his accurate slot  / round commensurate with his current skill level to be developed as a bargain or GM’s can continue to chase and overpay when the player is clearly not ready to start while paying the first round price tag. I’ll call this the Mitch Trubisky effect! What good is the fifth year option if a player is not a star?  Proven talent especially at QB will always be paid and there is no way getting around this; but why put all the house money and future at risk on one round?  

That is why in my mock I chose to move down to solidly the offensive line (OT’s) and then chose to draft back to back QB’s to carry a clipboard and be developed!  Hopefully, one QB be will emerge and overtake the veteran as the future starting QB!  If somehow both QBs develop as hoped then this strategy will pay dividends 10 fold and set the franchise up for sustainable success.

I’m with Jason.  At first I thought ‘drafting two QBs’?!?! What is he crazy?  But then I thought not a bad idea at all.  Your explanation of how Washington did it a few years ago was spot on.  Amd really the team isn’t in desperate need anywhere else (assuming as you did by addressing the oline positions earlier).  

Like you said, the worst that’s going to happen is one won’t pan out.  But if both do, draft capital before that 5th year.  Nice!  

You better be calling Pace right now with your idea!  😎👍

I think that if we admit that there is a lot of fog around which players will pan out int he NFL, then the shotgun approach at a position makes a lot of sense. Of course it costs two picks instead of one, but so does trading up for a more sure single bet.

It's kind of like the math between kicking an extra point or going for 2. If you convert 95% of your kicks, and only 60% of your two point tries, then you should go for two every time. Sure it takes you more tries on average to convert, but the payoff over time is bigger when you do.

Similarly, you can package multiple picks to move up, or you can spend those multiple picks multiple players at the same position to improve your chances.

Would you rather have Trey Lance, or Kellen Mond and Davis Mills? What if the price was the same?

Not to mention that if both play well, you can trade one later for more than you spent to get him.

I suppose the modified version of this is to draft QBs in years you don't need one. You shouldn't need 2 in the same year, but look at what the Packers and New England have done, they took QBs when they didn't need them, and then traded them for future picks, while assuring that their QB position would be strong.

Pace told us he would draft a QB "every year" and he surely hasn't done anything like that. If QB is important enough to trade up for, then it is important enough to use a 3rd or 4th round pick on every other year or so.

Jason's double QB draft was shocking and eye opening, but if you spread it over two years it's absolutely something good teams do all the time. And in the position we are in now, it'd be novel, but I wouldn't hate it.

2 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

Pace told us he would draft a QB "every year" and he surely hasn't done anything like that. If QB is important enough to trade up for, then it is important enough to use a 3rd or 4th round pick on every other year or so.

Jason's double QB draft was shocking and eye opening, but if you spread it over two years it's absolutely something good teams do all the time. And in the position we are in now, it'd be novel, but I wouldn't hate it.

So picking two Qbs this year would make up for the Qbs he didn't pick in previous years right?  

And it was actually ParkerBears' mock draft.  He is the true architect of the idea.  

7 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Here is what lucked into.  I had a scenario where there were many players that other teams wanted more than I did, so I got 4 trade downs in the first round.  I love the result.  Also, some of the picks I love the most got the worst grade...

Screenshot_20210429-092835_Chrome.jpg

Oohhh.... Travis Etienne that late in the draft would be spectacular!  Again, for the Bears not an immediate need (IMHO) but would an absolute steal that late in the game.  

6 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

So picking two Qbs this year would make up for the Qbs he didn't pick in previous years right?  

And it was actually ParkerBears' mock draft.  He is the true architect of the idea.  

yes. although if you stagger them you can develop them more I think.

But basically i was saying its not SO crazy and that with a year's offset it's basically what some teams routinely do.

I want Mond :)