Simple great break down of fields

Bill

Watched this the other day, very good detailed breakdown.  There is a 2 of 2 film study on YouTube as well.   Kurt has a great way of explaining what's going on in the film study and I like that he talks about the difference in how he would read a play vs how QB's are taught read (outside in, vs inside out).  Excited to see what this kid can do.  He's got things to work on just like any other rookie coming in.  

Chris Simms liked Mond more than Lance and Fields coming out, but this is absurd. Here is his bottom 5 of his top 40:

36.    Marcus Mariota, Las Vegas
37.    Kellen Mond, Minnesota
38.    Trey Lance, San Francisco
39.    Justin Fields, Chicago
40.    Case Keenum, Cleveland

He said, "It’s about what you can do for me this year."

So tell me how Mond, who is behind Cousins is going to be anywhere near as valuable to the Vikings this year as Fields is for the Bears? I know he is just sticking to his original rankings, but man, he is going down with the ship here. Fields, at worst is a top 25 QB this year. There are some bad starting QBs out there, and there is no way Fields can come out and be worse than every starter and 6 backups. 

https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2021/05/24/rookies-justin-fields-trey-lance-kellen-mond-lead-off-chris-simms-top-40-nfl-quarterback-rankings-now-on-chris-simms-unbuttoned-and-pro-football-talk-live/

Yeah, this list doesn't make sense.  Mond won't see the field unless Cousin's get's injured.  Fields will likely start the season from the sidelines and at some point replace Dalton.  Most annalists had Fields as the top 2 or 3 QB in the draft.  Even Lance will likely start at some point.  Mond has potential and I will say that had things not gone the way they did I would have been ok if we ended up with Mond.  He's got potential and talent, but a little raw, he would have been my choice of the second tier of QB's in the draft.  But to rank him behind a QB in Fields who could have gone as high as 2 or 3 in the draft is absurd.  Time will tell but at this point this ranking makes no sense.

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

How about this for Fields? 

I like when he says "yeah, to the wrong team". "Packers".  The kid gets it that we the fans hate the Packers and want our team to treat them like the enemy.  It's part of saying the right things, here's hoping Justin helps us stick it to the cheeseheads twice a year.

• 4 weeks later...

Not to belabor this topic, but has anyone actually looked at Trey Lance's game logs? 

Please let me know if anyone else knew any of the following:

1. He only had 1x 300-yard game his entire college career (vs Western Illinois).
2. He only had 1x game with 24 or more passing attempts (31 vs Missouri State) where he ironically threw 0 TDs.
3. He had 2x games with more rushing yards than passing yards (76-62 vs SDST and 166-72 vs James Madison).
4. He only had one game with 4 or more TD passes (Butler - opening day 2019). 
5. He had a total of 318 passing attempts his entire college career (Fields had 354 in 2019, Trubisky had 447 in 2016 just for perspective).

I knew he was raw and he has an elite running game, but that seems like a huge risk at #2, especially trading up and giving up what they did to do that.

53 minutes ago, adam said:

Not to belabor this topic, but has anyone actually looked at Trey Lance's game logs? 

1. He only had 1x 300-yard game his entire college career (vs Western Illinois).
2. He only had 1x game with 24 or more passing attempts (31 vs Missouri State) where he ironically threw 0 TDs.
3. He had 2x games with more rushing yards than passing yards (76-62 vs SDST and 166-72 vs James Madison).
5. He had a total of 318 passing attempts his entire college career (Fields had 354 in 2019, Trubisky had 447 in 2016 just for perspective).

I knew he was raw and he has an elite running game, but that seems like a huge risk at #2, especially trading up and giving up what they did to do that.

He may excel, and he may bust, but at this point it feels a lot like the Trubisky reach, which also at this point was unknown. Lance will flip his own coin, he won't be tied to Trubisky's, but it's kind of like betting before you know what the next card is gonna be. I think Fields was a much safer choice, and Lance is all potential without the performance.

Maybe San Fran really did want to trade up for Trubisky, and Pace beat them to it. Now Pace has learned, and SF is still reaching at #2. Interesting how it all works out.

2 hours ago, adam said:

I did not know his stats but I did know he has very little playing experience.  Why many have asked how can he sit another year and not get any playing time in two years.  

I'm getting old because I don't follow your last sentence.

11 hours ago, Bill said:

I did not know his stats but I did know he has very little playing experience.  Why many have asked how can he sit another year and not get any playing time in two years.  

I'm getting old because I don't follow your last sentence.

So Lance had 1100 rushing yards and 2786 passing yards in 2019, thus he has an elite running game. His legs are probably better than his arm. So with a raw arm, I felt he was a huge risk at #2, especially for what SF gave up to move up to get him (Pick #12, 1st Rounder in 2022, 1st Rounder in 2023, and a 2022 3rd Rounder). 

I would think you would trade up to pick someone like Fields for that type of return. Miami is set up with multiple first-rounders for 2 more years. 

14 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

Maybe San Fran really did want to trade up for Trubisky, and Pace beat them to it. Now Pace has learned, and SF is still reaching at #2. Interesting how it all works out.

See the old man is coming out.  I hit the wrong link it was NYC whose last sentence I did not understand not yours sorry.   "What a drag it is getting old". Even more annoying knowing a 20 something wrote that line.

Ah what Im saying is that Lance feels a lot like the Trubisky situation. A lot of upside, not much production or playing time.

Last time, it was the Bears trading up for Trubisky, and SF staying patient. We learned that wasnt a great idea, nad now it is SF doing what we did.

Not saying Lance will end up like Trubisky, but the parallels are interesting.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

See the old man is coming out.  I hit the wrong link it was NYC whose last sentence I did not understand not yours sorry.   "What a drag it is getting old". Even more annoying knowing a 20 something wrote that line.

I don't understand the NYC statement as we traded with SF from 3 to 2. There were several teams interested in Trubisky, and it would've been interesting to see how it all played out if we just stayed at #3. 

3 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

Ah what Im saying is that Lance feels a lot like the Trubisky situation. A lot of upside, not much production or playing time.

Last time, it was the Bears trading up for Trubisky, and SF staying patient. We learned that wasnt a great idea, nad now it is SF doing what we did.

Not saying Lance will end up like Trubisky, but the parallels are interesting.

FWIW I understood what you were getting at and I agree that there were some eerie coincidences.  The move that SF made this year for Lance seemed like Trubkisky 2.0.  I'm not sure that SF was as intrigued with Trubisky as they seem to be with Lance but instead duped Pace into thinking they were.  Maybe they were trying again this time and Pace got wise?  

On 5/29/2021 at 8:05 PM, adam said:

Chris Simms liked Mond more than Lance and Fields coming out, but this is absurd. Here is his bottom 5 of his top 40:

36.    Marcus Mariota, Las Vegas
37.    Kellen Mond, Minnesota
38.    Trey Lance, San Francisco
39.    Justin Fields, Chicago
40.    Case Keenum, Cleveland

He said, "It’s about what you can do for me this year."

So tell me how Mond, who is behind Cousins is going to be anywhere near as valuable to the Vikings this year as Fields is for the Bears? I know he is just sticking to his original rankings, but man, he is going down with the ship here. Fields, at worst is a top 25 QB this year. There are some bad starting QBs out there, and there is no way Fields can come out and be worse than every starter and 6 backups. 

https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2021/05/24/rookies-justin-fields-trey-lance-kellen-mond-lead-off-chris-simms-top-40-nfl-quarterback-rankings-now-on-chris-simms-unbuttoned-and-pro-football-talk-live/

To be fair, there is a chance Justin Fields sees very minimal time on the field this year. Dalton is no scrub. He's arguably the best QB the Bears have every had on roster. Similar career stats to Cutler, but without as many interceptions. If he does well, and performs similar to his Cincy years, there will be no reason to rush Fields.

1 hour ago, jason said:

To be fair, there is a chance Justin Fields sees very minimal time on the field this year. Dalton is no scrub. He's arguably the best QB the Bears have every had on roster. Similar career stats to Cutler, but without as many interceptions. If he does well, and performs similar to his Cincy years, there will be no reason to rush Fields.

Very interesting comparison:

Dalton - 10 seasons, 74-66-2, 33764 yds, 234 YPG, 62.2%, 218 TD, 126 INT, 7.1 Y/A, yrs with QBR over 50: 5, Pro Bowl: 3, 4K Yard seasons: 2
Cutler - 12 seasons, 74-79-0, 35133 yds, 229 YPG, 62.0%, 227 TD, 160 INT, 7.1 Y/A, yrs with QBR over 50: 7, Pro Bowl: 1, 4K Yard seasons: 1