Cole Kmet

adam

I was shocked, but Cole Kmet led all receivers (from both teams) in receptions and yards on MNF. For the season, he now has 49 receptions (10th among TEs) for 490 yards and is on pace for over 60 receptions and 600 yards. 

I didn't expect him to be a top 10 TE for how bad our passing offense has been, which seems to make his stats even that much more impressive. However, on eye test, he is a great blocker, but is not an elite pass-catching TE. I feel like he needs to spend the offseason on the jugs machine and working on small area quickness.

The only good thing is he is super young, still only 22, so there is still some room for improvement based on other recent TEs (who don't seem to hit their peak years until their mid-20s. 

I was souring on him lately, but the whole offense has been so bad, I might have been too harsh on him and Mooney lately. 

I'm old enough to remember similar conversations about a guy named Greg Olsen.  I can even remember when fans weren't too happy with Charles Tillman in his early years.  We have to give players time to grow and improve when the arrow is pointing up.   Remember too that Kmet has had just one training camp.  

I agree with Michael Irvin... jugs machine doesn't help when it comes to catching while running.  I hope he joins the Mooney/Fields workouts this offseason.  

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I'm old enough to remember similar conversations about a guy named Greg Olsen.  I can even remember when fans weren't too happy with Charles Tillman in his early years.  We have to give players time to grow and improve when the arrow is pointing up.   Remember too that Kmet has had just one training camp.  

I agree with Michael Irvin... jugs machine doesn't help when it comes to catching while running.  I hope he joins the Mooney/Fields workouts this offseason.  

I was always a fan of Olsen and never saw him like Kmet. Olsen was Cutler's security blanket and was scoring a lot of TDs even early on. The only reason they traded him was because of Mike Martz. Kmet is not going anywhere, I would just like him to improve his game.

I agree that it doesn't help you catch while running but he needs all the help he can get catching the ball. Too many easy drops.

7 hours ago, adam said:

I was always a fan of Olsen and never saw him like Kmet. Olsen was Cutler's security blanket and was scoring a lot of TDs even early on. The only reason they traded him was because of Mike Martz. Kmet is not going anywhere, I would just like him to improve his game.

I agree that it doesn't help you catch while running but he needs all the help he can get catching the ball. Too many easy drops.

The criticism of Olsen was that he couldn't block and thus would never develop into a full-time TE.  Pass catching was never an issue.  I'd rather not talk about Mike Martz.  

The ignorance of Nagy never ceases to amaze. 

If he doesn't start absolutely force-feeding Kmet the rest of the year, throwing him post-up curl routes and end zone jump balls, then he's just stupid. The season is over. It's time to improve young players, and specifically, ensuring Fields is incredibly comfortable with his TE as a bailout option.

10 hours ago, jason said:

The ignorance of Nagy never ceases to amaze. 

If he doesn't start absolutely force-feeding Kmet the rest of the year, throwing him post-up curl routes and end zone jump balls, then he's just stupid. The season is over. It's time to improve young players, and specifically, ensuring Fields is incredibly comfortable with his TE as a bailout option.

🔥🔥🔥

On 12/21/2021 at 12:33 PM, adam said:

I was shocked, but Cole Kmet led all receivers (from both teams) in receptions and yards on MNF. For the season, he now has 49 receptions (10th among TEs) for 490 yards and is on pace for over 60 receptions and 600 yards. 

I didn't expect him to be a top 10 TE for how bad our passing offense has been, which seems to make his stats even that much more impressive. However, on eye test, he is a great blocker, but is not an elite pass-catching TE. I feel like he needs to spend the offseason on the jugs machine and working on small area quickness.

The only good thing is he is super young, still only 22, so there is still some room for improvement based on other recent TEs (who don't seem to hit their peak years until their mid-20s. 

I was souring on him lately, but the whole offense has been so bad, I might have been too harsh on him and Mooney lately. 

If we had a average offense this year, he would have 60 receptions and Mooney would have over 1000 yards by now.  No discipline, bad play calling, and poor leadership affects everyone's stats.