This season is going PERFECTLY

jason

Several times during the Lovie years, we saw pointless wins that allowed the team to misleading hope, while simultaneously submarining any chance of stockpiling draft capital that helps build franchises. The team has hovered around .500 year after year since 2000. Since 2000, believe it or not, the team has an average of 7.9 wins per season. Of the 22 seasons, 12 have been +/- 2 wins of .500. That's treading water; it's not building a franchise. For 30+ years I have heard about how the meaningless wins help in some way, whether it be cohesion, camaraderie, or confidence. But for the Bears, that doesn't appear to hold true.

That's why I think this year is so perfect. The team is deceptively better than their record and stats show. They are hanging in games, showing true offensive spark, and all the while losing. Theoretically, this should bear fruit and build the franchise, which is a refreshing angle the Bears really haven't shown for 20+ years. It's also probably creating a desire in players, because they realize they are closer than others believe.

Side note: There have been a few anomalies during the last 22 years.

• 2002: A 4-12 season gave the Bears the 4th pick, and they traded back to pick Michael Haynes🤢 and Rex Grossman😑. Ignore that many others called for a WR or OL for Shoop's horrible offense. Hey, at least the Bears got Tillman🥜 and Briggs.
  • 2005: The team was starting to turn into a monster because of a collection of defensive talent. Looking back, we didn't realize what we had. Urlacher, Briggs, Tillman, Brown, Harris, Hillenmeyer, Vasher, Ogunleye. Wow!😲
  • 2006: That collection of players all fit together to build a historic defense, and a wild card pick in Devin Hester turned into the best returner ever🐐. Truly magical season, but misleading because absolutely everything went right that season, and collapsed afterwards (i.e. 7-9, 9-7, 7-9).
  • 2010: The Julius Peppers boost🙄. His signing was thought to be the difference maker, and there was new life on defense. Then that NFC Championship game against GB took our soul.
  • 2018: Nearly a 2006 repeat in terms of magic. We all knew it was a fluke because of Nagy's flaws, but it was an incredible ride. The Khalil Mack trade! Roquan Smith was a great pick. Eddie Goldman played 16 games for the only time of his career. Prince Amukamara played arguably the best season of his career. Kyle Fuller and Eddie Jackson had 7 INTs & 6 INTs, respectively, and the only All Pro seasons of their career. Again, unsustainable fortune like 2006.

Thanks for reminding me how old I am and how many challenging (trying to avoid using depresssing) years we've been through. 

I do like this coaching staff so far.  They've had missteps but they've also coached numerous rookies to being competitive on the field.  We're starting 3 rookies on D (Sanborn, Gordon, Brisker) and relying on a 5th Rd rookie at DE for a significant chunk of snaps.   Combined with losing Khalil Mack (who didn't do much on Sun night football 0 tackles, 1 assist, 0 sacks and is making Poles' decision looks like a complete steal), Roquan, Quinn, and even Hicks in FA and you've taken out the heart of the defense.   I agree with all those decisions but we can't underestimate what it means on the field. 

Today's post-game press conference is the first time I've seen Eberflus frustrated and really at a loss for words.  I really think he felt we should win this game (so did I).  He needs some time to review the film and I'm confident some corrections will be made.  We need some players like Jenkins back on the field but beyond that I think we're about to head into a turning point where we go into full evaluation mode and see a few more rookies getting snaps.   

In a way they experimented a bit this week and gave Velus another shot, making Harry inactive in the process.  I think Eiselen is on the short list to get some snaps but if that happens it will depend on Fields health.   That might sound odd given Mustipher's struggles but going from a known to an unknown regardless of how bad the known is, is still a risk.   I'd guess right after the bye is the ideal time.   Weatherford is another guy I think they'll try to get some defensive snaps with before the season ends.   

On the Oline it's hard to say what we do with Leatherwood and Carter.  Ideally I'd like to see both get some snaps but when?   Protecting Fields has to be job 1.  If Fields sits "injured" in the Week 17 I'd experiment.    

Sadly we literally have nobody with "youthful potential" among the DTs.  Other than the Mel Tucker years I can't recall another season with so few plays by DTs.  That's being anecdotal of course because I don't have data to back it up, but they sure are quiet during games.   That has led us to blitz more and but that's not who we are in this D, especially with the rookies out there,  and it opens up the backend for some big plays.  I'd rather make a team like Atlanta walk all the way down the field like they had to on the first drive than give them chunk plays because of a blitz.    

At this point, I would rest Fields until after the bye. That would be 3 weeks to get other guys like Leatherwood and Claypool up to speed. Then you get Jenkins, Herbert, and Patrick back as well. 

There is no way this team is winning more than 5 games, which should guarantee a top 7 pick. With 3 QBs going in the top 10, the Bears should be able to get a blue chip player. Hopefully they don't decide to trade up one spot again if they do pick 3rd. 

12 hours ago, jason said:

Several times during the Lovie years, we saw pointless wins that allowed the team to misleading hope, while simultaneously submarining any chance of stockpiling draft capital that helps build franchises. The team has hovered around .500 year after year since 2000. Since 2000, believe it or not, the team has an average of 7.9 wins per season. Of the 22 seasons, 12 have been +/- 2 wins of .500. That's treading water; it's not building a franchise. For 30+ years I have heard about how the meaningless wins help in some way, whether it be cohesion, camaraderie, or confidence. But for the Bears, that doesn't appear to hold true.

That's why I think this year is so perfect. The team is deceptively better than their record and stats show. They are hanging in games, showing true offensive spark, and all the while losing. Theoretically, this should bear fruit and build the franchise, which is a refreshing angle the Bears really haven't shown for 20+ years. It's also probably creating a desire in players, because they realize they are closer than others believe.

Side note: There have been a few anomalies during the last 22 years.

• 2002: A 4-12 season gave the Bears the 4th pick, and they traded back to pick Michael Haynes🤢 and Rex Grossman😑. Ignore that many others called for a WR or OL for Shoop's horrible offense. Hey, at least the Bears got Tillman🥜 and Briggs.
  • 2005: The team was starting to turn into a monster because of a collection of defensive talent. Looking back, we didn't realize what we had. Urlacher, Briggs, Tillman, Brown, Harris, Hillenmeyer, Vasher, Ogunleye. Wow!😲
  • 2006: That collection of players all fit together to build a historic defense, and a wild card pick in Devin Hester turned into the best returner ever🐐. Truly magical season, but misleading because absolutely everything went right that season, and collapsed afterwards (i.e. 7-9, 9-7, 7-9).
  • 2010: The Julius Peppers boost🙄. His signing was thought to be the difference maker, and there was new life on defense. Then that NFC Championship game against GB took our soul.
  • 2018: Nearly a 2006 repeat in terms of magic. We all knew it was a fluke because of Nagy's flaws, but it was an incredible ride. The Khalil Mack trade! Roquan Smith was a great pick. Eddie Goldman played 16 games for the only time of his career. Prince Amukamara played arguably the best season of his career. Kyle Fuller and Eddie Jackson had 7 INTs & 6 INTs, respectively, and the only All Pro seasons of their career. Again, unsustainable fortune like 2006.

Spot on, Jason! They just need to keep doing what they are doing and be ready for the offseason. Any wins right now do not help the team moving forward. A top 5 pick (in almost every round) helps the team immensely.

Peace

6 hours ago, adam said:

At this point, I would rest Fields until after the bye. That would be 3 weeks to get other guys like Leatherwood and Claypool up to speed. Then you get Jenkins, Herbert, and Patrick back as well. 

There is no way this team is winning more than 5 games, which should guarantee a top 7 pick. With 3 QBs going in the top 10, the Bears should be able to get a blue chip player. Hopefully they don't decide to trade up one spot again if they do pick 3rd. 

Agreed and I'm going to the Packers game. I certainly do not want to watch Siemian play but it makes no sense to risk the health of Fields. 

Peace

32 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I would only argue one thing as far as this season is going.  They need to get back to making Fields throw the ball. Give him the Kurt Warner training from American Underdog.  He has got to speed that clock up.

He does, it looks like he regressed. It looks like he is trying to appear calm by not playing fast. It's ok to take a 3 or 5 step drop and just fling it.