What does Poles do to make us a winning team in 2023 ?

Stinger226

We will be adding in the draft and FAgency. What moves does Poles make that will give us a winning season next yr. We cant fill every spot so we figure 9 new starters.

Lets say we get the 2nd pick, 56, 65, and 101. These are picks that probably will give us starters from day one.  Anything in the rest of the draft will just be gravy if they end up starting.

With 135 mil, in cap space,  I think he makes 2 big signings, and 3 midland signings. 

For sake of argument we resign Monty to a 3 yr 19mil deal. I am using OTCs valuation numbers + That have Monty at 5 mil value

We resign Morrow at 3/24, OTC valuation at 8 mil

We bring back Armon Watts, Josh Blackwell, Harry, Matt Adams, D Evans on min deals.

We bring back Blasingame, DHC, Pettis for 1-3 mil per yr.

We cut Patrick and Al-Q Mum that will cost 2 mil in dead money but save us 8 mil.

In free agency our signings are DeRon Payne/ 12-14 mil a yr... Elgton Jenkins/ 8-10...Marcus Davenport/ 8-10...Marcus Pocic/ 8-10...Austin Hooper/ 5-7 mil

In the draft 2) Will Anderson/edge...56...R Rice/WR...65... Siaki Ika/DT...101...Devan Weatherspoon/CB

The weaknesses are OL, DL and WR.          OL  Pocic and Jenkins will address our line. If Leatherwood proves to be worthy at RT, Jenkins can play LG and then we get rid of Whitehair. If                                                                                 Whitehair stays then E. Jenkins plays RT.

OL  B. Jones/ E. Jenkins/ Pocic/ Jenkins/ Leatherwood. 

WR  Mooney/ Claypool/ Harry/ Pringle/ Pettis/V Jones/ Rashed Rice (Rookie)

DL   Payne-Watts-J Jones- Siaki Ika (rookie) Ika was there at 65 range and is a monster at 6-4 350. He is compared to Jordon Davis (6-6 340) a high level rookie

Edge... Anderson/ Davenport/ Robinson/Gipson.

I added another TE weapon in Austn Hooper and another CB in the mix on the D backfield.

14 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

We will be adding in the draft and FAgency. What moves does Poles make that will give us a winning season next yr. We cant fill every spot so we figure 9 new starters.

Lets say we get the 2nd pick, 56, 65, and 101. These are picks that probably will give us starters from day one.  Anything in the rest of the draft will just be gravy if they end up starting.

With 135 mil, in cap space,  I think he makes 2 big signings, and 3 midland signings. 

For sake of argument we resign Monty to a 3 yr 19mil deal. I am using OTCs valuation numbers + That have Monty at 5 mil value

We bring back Armon Watts, Josh Blackwell, Harry, Matt Adams, D Evans on min deals.

We cut Patrick and Al-Q Mum that will cost 2 mil in dead money but save us 8 mil.

In free agency our signings are DeRon Payne/ 12-14 mil a yr... Elgton Jenkins/ 8-10...Marcus Davenport/ 8-10...Marcus Pocic/ 8-10...Austin Hooper/ 5-7 mil

In the draft 2) Will Anderson/edge...56...R Rice/WR...65... Siaki Ika/DT...101...Devan Weatherspoon/CB

The weaknesses are OL, DL and WR.          OL  Pocic and Jenkins will address our line. If Leatherwood proves to be worthy at RT, Jenkins can play LG and then we get rid of Whitehair. If                                                                                 Whitehair stays then E. Jenkins plays RT.

DL   Payne-Watts-J Jones- Siaki Ika (rookie) Ika was there at 65 range and is a monster at 6-4 350. He is compared to Jordon Davis (6-6 340) a high level rookie

I added another TE weapon in Austn Hooper and another CB in the mix on the D backfield.

I like to take the starting 22 and rank them backwards to figure out the worse position groups. On defense, for me, it is DL and CB. The worst starter for me is Vildor-CB, then Pennel-DT, Gordon=CB, Muhammad-DE, Adams=LB(in 4-3), then probably Robinson-DE. Jones is probably next, then Morrow, Jackson, Sanborn, Johnson, then Brisker. 

On offense, Mustipher is the worst, then Borom (if starting at RT), then WR3 (pick one), then there is probably a big blob between Whitehair, Kmet, Mooney (as WR1), Montgomery, then Claypool (WR2) and Jones, Jenkins and Fields. 

Pulling the bottom of both groups, I would rank the worst: Vildor, Pennel, Mustipher, Borom, WR3, Gordon, Muhammad, then Adams. So the biggest upgrades are at 2x CB, DT, C, RT, WR, DE, and LB.

I really hope they do more at WR. All the top teams have a top flight WR (BUF-Diggs, PHI-Brown, DAL-Lamb, MIN-Jefferson, CIN-Chase, MIA-Hill). Of the top 10 WRs in the league, only 2 are on losing teams (Adams and Olave). 

Payne seems like the biggest no brainer. I hope they sign him. The front 7 needs at least 3-4 new starters. 

If Getsy is back, I really think they keep Patrick at OC. If that is the case, do they even sign anyone to the OLine? I guess it would only be RT if Leatherwood does not pan out. 

I only like to consider the top 3 rounds as starters, so they need to sign 4-5 top FAs to fill all the biggest needs.

There are some OCs in FAgency . Between injuries and being bad , Patrick still may be back. If that is true then I think they draft a OC to compete with him. I made the argument for 9 new starters, you say 8. Considering the terrible pawn rush , I could see all new starters there.

I saw someone (somewhere) mention we should sign Nelson Agholor in FA because he's the legit deep threat we're missing.  I've never been a big fan of Agholor but the concept I found appealing.   In a sense we'd all like Velus Jones to be that deep threat, and on occasion he will, but I think he'll always be mostly limited to plays closer to the LOS and then add via YAC.   So adding a starter who is someone the safeties have to worry about deep on every play creates more space for everyone else to work in.   Claypool has the speed and size to get deep and so does Mooney so that versatility forces a D to play balanced in coverage.   I figure ESB is gone but Harry should stick around at least into camp along with Pringle who I doubt gets much interest in FA.  

Then you add in the run game because with Fields running they will want to bring a safety closer to the LOS.   That means more single high safety which gives opens up the sidelines deep.  

We could easily swap in Agholor and we'd be better off on deep routes than we are with Pettis.  The problem is special teams and here is where Velus and his poor PR ability causes a problem.  I'm certain he'll work on that in the offseason but assuming Pettis is gone we'll need another option.  That could come from a DB pickup.   

Maybe we step back a bit from all the usual route tree questions since we can cover that with existing talent and simply ask who are the best outside deep threats in this draft?  

Check this out.  I'll talk more tomorrow, but this is essentially MoneyBall for football.  Three are the parts.  I've read the first one from my phone, but need the monitor for the charts.  It's a bye week, so game on!

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/breakdowns/the-hidden-reality-of-draft-value-part-1/#:~:text=This is 50% of round,even for the second contract.

10 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Check this out.  I'll talk more tomorrow, but this is essentially MoneyBall for football.  Three are the parts.  I've read the first one from my phone, but need the monitor for the charts.  It's a bye week, so game on!

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/breakdowns/the-hidden-reality-of-draft-value-part-1/#:~:text=This is 50% of round,even for the second contract.

Interesting article. 

Indy is in need of  a QB, right now they are the 9th spot in the draft. With their schedule, Minn, Detroit, Chargers, Hou, they still could finish in the top 10.

Would you trade the 2nd pick for a top 10 pick, plus a 2nd 2023,  2nd  next yr 2024  and D Buckner and Z Franklin. Buckner will be 29 at 20 mil average for the next two yrs, and Franklin (27) is making 3.4 average for the next two yrs. 

Alternative would be to pay DeRon Payne 15- 20 mil if he doesnt get tagged, and just resign Morrow which has TT 84 , TFL 9, 0 sacks. 

Alternative draft Jalen Carter and resign Morrow.

What would you do?

On 12/10/2022 at 7:16 AM, adam said:

I like to take the starting 22 and rank them backwards to figure out the worse position groups. On defense, for me, it is DL and CB. The worst starter for me is Vildor-CB, then Pennel-DT, Gordon=CB, Muhammad-DE, Adams=LB(in 4-3), then probably Robinson-DE. Jones is probably next, then Morrow, Jackson, Sanborn, Johnson, then Brisker. 

On offense, Mustipher is the worst, then Borom (if starting at RT), then WR3 (pick one), then there is probably a big blob between Whitehair, Kmet, Mooney (as WR1), Montgomery, then Claypool (WR2) and Jones, Jenkins and Fields. 

Pulling the bottom of both groups, I would rank the worst: Vildor, Pennel, Mustipher, Borom, WR3, Gordon, Muhammad, then Adams. So the biggest upgrades are at 2x CB, DT, C, RT, WR, DE, and LB.

I really hope they do more at WR. All the top teams have a top flight WR (BUF-Diggs, PHI-Brown, DAL-Lamb, MIN-Jefferson, CIN-Chase, MIA-Hill). Of the top 10 WRs in the league, only 2 are on losing teams (Adams and Olave). 

Payne seems like the biggest no brainer. I hope they sign him. The front 7 needs at least 3-4 new starters. 

If Getsy is back, I really think they keep Patrick at OC. If that is the case, do they even sign anyone to the OLine? I guess it would only be RT if Leatherwood does not pan out. 

I only like to consider the top 3 rounds as starters, so they need to sign 4-5 top FAs to fill all the biggest needs.

On 12/9/2022 at 4:34 PM, Stinger226 said:

I agree with Stinger here. Making Elgton Jenkins your #2 priority behind Payne makes so much sense. Jenkins versatility is huge for all the question marks behind the bears OL. 

Even if Jones shows up stronger, and Leatherwood proves to be the real deal, Jenkins has played center as well. He's probably gonna get paid like a tackle, but who cares. Now let's say Patrick comes back healthy and looks really good...Well, Jenkins can play LG and you can release Whitehair. White-haired define isn't bad, but Jenkins is an upgrade and there's no shame in upgrading the position while moving on from a guy who is getting a little on the "Old side."

At the end of the day you put the best 5 out there, and I'd guarantee Jenkins would be one of those 5....somewhere. 

I read the article's and left overwhelmed with statistical information.  So, I concentrated on our situation and focused on the early rounds.  Since a first round pick has a 40% chance to be re-signed and a second rounder is 30%, I'm doing the math.  Our current pick is worth 2600.  That is worth 4 seconds and 2 thirds.  Since 2nds re-sign at a 30% rate, I'm seeing 120% + the 3rds value vs 40% of the first. 

If there is a way to parlay the #2 into four 2nds and two 3rds, I gotta take it.  That would give us five 2nd, three 3rd, two 4th, three 5th and two 6th.  Instant depth!  That is 15 picks.  I don't like the idea of drafting that many, but twelve sounds good.  Poles could move three of the picks to the following year to keep the pick coffers full.

I would definitely go after Payne.  The trade scenario, above, also doesn't take Buckner out of the equation.

With our 12 picks, I would draft 3 DL, 2 WR, 2 OL, 1 TE, 1 LB, 1 RB and 2 DB. (All using BPA approach)

Next year is not the Superbowl window anyway.  Next year is about finishing the foundation.  I would hate not have a 1st, but the trade bounty calculates to be 3x more successful.  Stats aren't my thing, so IMO this is all hypothetical.

5 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I read the article's and left overwhelmed with statistical information.  So, I concentrated on our situation and focused on the early rounds.  Since a first round pick has a 40% chance to be re-signed and a second rounder is 30%, I'm doing the math.  Our current pick is worth 2600.  That is worth 4 seconds and 2 thirds.  Since 2nds re-sign at a 30% rate, I'm seeing 120% + the 3rds value vs 40% of the first. 

If there is a way to parlay the #2 into four 2nds and two 3rds, I gotta take it.  That would give us five 2nd, three 3rd, two 4th, three 5th and two 6th.  Instant depth!  That is 15 picks.  I don't like the idea of drafting that many, but twelve sounds good.  Poles could move three of the picks to the following year to keep the pick coffers full.

I would definitely go after Payne.  The trade scenario, above, also doesn't take Buckner out of the equation.

With our 12 picks, I would draft 3 DL, 2 WR, 2 OL, 1 TE, 1 LB, 1 RB and 2 DB. (All using BPA approach)

Next year is not the Superbowl window anyway.  Next year is about finishing the foundation.  I would hate not have a 1st, but the trade bounty calculates to be 3x more successful.  Stats aren't my thing, so IMO this is all hypothetical.

I've been doing a lot of drafts with the  PFN simulator and one draft offered me trades from 2 to 3,  3 to 5 ,5 to 11, I was still able to draft Bresee and then Wilson. Also gave me 3 extra first round picks next yr. Dreaming is lots of fun.

I think Poles is always going to be a BPA drafter but if we get a DE, DT and OL in free agency, it doesn't put pressure on Poles to reach for any of those positions in the draft. B Jones and Leatherwood  are going to get first shot at the Tackle spots but think he will bring another OL to compete. That's what would be great if we got Elgton Jenkins, he could play any spot where someone would falter.

5 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Sorry but I have no interest in becoming a team where you can have a winning record one or several years in a row but can't win it all.  We need some star players to mix in with that 2nd Rd depth.  The odds of finding a Pro Bowl player go down the further you get in the draft.  

The corollary to your 2nd Rd re-sign rate of just 30% is that 70% of those players are available for anyone to sign.   There are injury issues to consider so that's not entirely correct but in most offseason it's usually true you can add depth at most positions.    

6 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Sorry but I have no interest in becoming a team where you can have a winning record one or several years in a row but can't win it all.  We need some star players to mix in with that 2nd Rd depth.  The odds of finding a Pro Bowl player go down the further you get in the draft.  

The corollary to your 2nd Rd re-sign rate of just 30% is that 70% of those players are available for anyone to sign.   There are injury issues to consider so that's not entirely correct but in most offseason it's usually true you can add depth at most positions.    

We have a star on offense in Fields, we need to get Carter or Anderson to energize the defense. If we only drop no lower than 5 , I think that could still  happen. If you want to use other picks to add some picks, go for it but don't overlook what those two would do if we got one.

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

You are correct in that pro bowl players make it commensurate to their draft position.  They key you are missing is the volume destroys that cushion and surpasses.  This team currently needs, at least, 8 upgrades at starting positions to become a playoff team.  

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Those first rounders can be signed elsewhere too.  Thing is, that statistic is to shine light that these players were resigned/extended because their respective teams wanted them.  At this point in building this team, I'll take 120% over 40%.  That may change the following year, but not this.

My pipe dream still remains, that we trade with the Colts.  After that, we can parlay as the draft unfolds.

Obviously the more players  we bring in will make us overall better in the long run but I dont think we make it back to the top 10 for awhile so we may want to take the generational player like Anderson or Carter because we may start wining sooner than we expect. It all comes down to the progress of Fields. If he goes off next yr that will push our playoff run window sooner. Barring trades if he gives us 3 or 4 new starters in this draft with a stud defensive player, the clock will start sooner.

22 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Obviously the more players  we bring in will make us overall better in the long run but I dont think we make it back to the top 10 for awhile so we may want to take the generational player like Anderson or Carter because we may start wining sooner than we expect. It all comes down to the progress of Fields. If he goes off next yr that will push our playoff run window sooner. Barring trades if he gives us 3 or 4 new starters in this draft with a stud defensive player, the clock will start sooner.

I'm not sold on them being generational talents.  When I think of generational, it's a guy like Miles Garrett or Joey Bosa.  These defensive linemen get hurt at a very high rate, so if there is a shadow of a doubt whether they are elite, I gotta trade and get more.  I'll do more homework on them.  It would be better for our draft and/or trade value if they have it.

10 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm not sold on them being generational talents.  When I think of generational, it's a guy like Miles Garrett or Joey Bosa.  There defensive linemen get hurt at a very high rate, so if there is a shadow of a doubt whether they are elite, I gotta trade and get more.  I'll do more homework on them.  It would be better for our draft and/or trade value if they have it.

That's fair.  There are question on both players.   At the moment those are the only two I've seen with the elite athletic talent to hit that superstar level.  I haven't looked at everyone in the top 10 but my sense is that if those 2 are off the board when we pick then a trade back makes a ton of sense.  However, if Poles stayed put and chose either Anderson or Carter I wouldn't blame him.    It is likely there will be others with elite athletic talent but with lesser skill sets (raw, younger draft entrants).   Evaluating the work ethic and football smarts is the real behind the scenes work.  

Despite falling to the 3rd pick the teams in the top 5 don't need QBs except for Houston.  Indy, Carolina, and Atlanta will be vying for a QB.   If Pace has any say in it Atlanta will be all-in to move up.    

Roster Composition is an interesting thing. I don't think using the NFL-average is a good way to look at it because that includes some terribly constructed teams. I think it is best to model off some really good teams and see what they are doing. Take Philly.

Here is their current roster breakdown:

Drafted by Eagles: 29
By round: 7-1st, 5-2nd, 3-3rd, 5-4th, 1-5th, 6-6th, 2-7th
Drafted by other teams: 18
UDFAs: 12

• More than half the roster came from other teams, FA/trade, or UDFA. 
  • More than half the drafted roster was drafted in the first 3 rounds. 
  • Only 1 Philly draft pick in the top 9 (Lane Johnson #4).
  • Other 6 first rounders between picks 10-22.
  • 7 of the 18 players drafted by other teams were drafted in the first 2 rounds.
  • 3 of their drafted vets have been with team for 10+ years (Cox, Graham, Kelce).

Pace really made this challenging with so many 1st round trades. Basically Trubisky, then nothing (due to Mack) until Fields. Fields is now the only Bears drafted player from the 1st round. The Bears only have 22 players drafted by the Bears and 17 UDFAs. 

I feel like this team is still two years away from being where Philly is now, which would make sense as it would be Poles in Year 3. 

18 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm not sold on them being generational talents.  When I think of generational, it's a guy like Miles Garrett or Joey Bosa.  There defensive linemen get hurt at a very high rate, so if there is a shadow of a doubt whether they are elite, I gotta trade and get more.  I'll do more homework on them.  It would be better for our draft and/or trade value if they have it.

Mile Garrett- 141 tackles 47 TFL 31 Sacks

Joey Bosa- 148/51/26

Will Anderson- 204/58/34

41 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I get it, but do his traits translate to the NFL?

That's actually an interesting question. I absolutely think he's gonna be a monster, but there is a legit question about him as a DE in a 4-3. He's a little undersized, but so is Micah Parsons and he played at an all pro level when asked to play DE. I think if you add a guy like Payne next to him, the defense is gonna have to pick their poison as far as who they are double teaming. If you can get Williams out in some space 1 on 1 he's gonna dominate no matter whether his hands in the ground or not.

I haven't paid enough attention to the DL under Flus, because we'll it's been bad, but I do wonder if they are open to having their DE out wide a bit more like Seattle and other teams do/did. I believe they called it a joker DE. 

I too question if Andersons size will translate. 6'4/243

In reading about Anderson , when he first got to Ala, he did a 4.34 40, and 6.67 3 cone. That is absurd. 

Parsons 6'3/245

Von Miller 6'3/245 

I dont question that anymore. There is always doubt when NFL players are taken high. The 1st round has a 50% miss rate. Not that all of them are not good but never live up to their high  draft status . If Poles is good at drafting he will identify good players in other rounds, but when you have a pick that high, you need to take blue chip players.  If we only drop back a few spots we can still get one of these, but if we drop pass pick 5 they will be gone. We will never be picking this high again with Fields at QB, we have to take one of Carter or Anderson. I think in FA Poles will be bringing in a good 3T (DeRon Payne). Even if we bring in a FA edge rusher none of them will be as good as Anderson projects to be. I say take Anderson, then draft a  Siaki Ika or Mazi Smith to go with Payne.

Try Marcus Davenport-DeRon Payne- Ika or Smith- Will Anderson. I'll take that.

24 minutes ago, adam said:

If the tradeoff was:

one of Carter or Anderson

vs

two of T'Vondre Sweat, Peter Skoronski, Jaelyn Duncan, or Isaiah Foskey

To me, it is hard not to like two top options, especially if you can get one of each OL and DL/DE.

That's tough. In this hypothetical,  did they get Payne and/or Davenport? In this case, give me option 2, if not give me 1. This team desperately needs an IMPACT guy on the DL.....not a good player...an impact player. Someone that's gonna force teams to pay extra attention to which is gonna open things up for the rest of the defense. 

43 minutes ago, adam said:

If the tradeoff was:

one of Carter or Anderson

vs

two of T'Vondre Sweat, Peter Skoronski, Jaelyn Duncan, or Isaiah Foskey

To me, it is hard not to like two top options, especially if you can get one of each OL and DL/DE.

I think Poles does draft a OT and  OC in this yrs draft. I don't think he starts all over and forgot what he did with getting Learherwood and drafting B Jones. I think he lets them play out but brings in a 3rd or 4th round pick to compete with them. Mathew Bergeron, Blake Freeland, Carter Warren. Poles thinks he's a builder of  the OL so he's not putting a bunch of first rounders together, he's going to show everyone how smart he is.

I have looked at a lot of drafts stuff and never seen name T'Drondre Sweat before. 

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think Poles does draft a OT and  OC in this yrs draft. I don't think he starts all over and forgot what he did with getting Learherwood and drafting B Jones. I think he lets them play out but brings in a 3rd or 4th round pick to compete with them. Mathew Bergeron, Blake Freeland, Carter Warren. Poles thinks he's a builder of  the OL so he's not putting a bunch of first rounders together, he's going to show everyone how smart he is.

I have looked at a lot of drafts stuff and never seen name T'Drondre Sweat before. 

This dude...