Senior Bowl Thread

AZ54

I want to create a new thread to capture thoughts on players in the Senior Bowl.  We have quite a few comments scattered around different threads which keep morphing into new topics.  This will make it easier to reference comments on players as we move through the combine and into the draft, or even post draft.  

I'll start with a Cyclone as a player to watch:  Will McDonald.   He is going to be tough for us to scout because Iowa St. used him in a 3-5 front and he was typically lined up more like a DT/DE.  I've watched him in a lot of games and he's a good football player, great hustle.   He just always looked over matched or out of position going head on with OG/OT and often seeing double teams.  The Cyclones usually rushed only 3. 

I think he dropped weight since the season ended anticipating a move to being an Edge player.  He's listed at 241lbs at the Senior Bowl and I'm guessing he was playing around 260lbs.  With that he's moving much quicker and has been giving OTs fits in a lot of the drills.   I definitely will be watching him in the game.   

For WR I'm leaning more towards finding a really good slot WR in the draft.  Claypool is going to stay on the outside where he has the size/speed/and high-point skills to be a legit deep threat.  Mooney can work either but I'm comfortable with him on the outside.  Plus it's easier to find a slot WR later in the draft.  In practice this week Jayden Reed was leaving DBs in the dust coming out of his breaks.  He can work all 3 levels too and tracks the deep ball well.  If we want Justin to work better on the quick throws he needs a reliable slot receiver who can consistently get open.  

https://youtu.be/3Nv5CDwk4Hk    He's rising so it's hard to say where he'll end up but he's definitely a day 2 WR.  JSN is another good option but his name will carry him into the first round for sure.  I'd rather use that 1st Rd pick (or picks) on Dline or Oline.  

RT Dawand Jones.   Absolute beast.   I was worried about his weight as he was reported to be 380lbs and would he be too stiff to handle speed.  Not a problem.  He came in around 350lbs and just dominated everyone.  In fact Will McDonald was the only edge player to beat him on day 1.  He's definitely a 1st Rd pick now.  

A couple I liked was Darnell Wright, RT from Tennessee and Tank Dell WR from Houston. 

Wright last year in 12 games, 5 QB hurries, 2 QB hits , no sacks. I think in practice, the only player to get past him was Will McDonald once. Not as big as Jones but a huge man.

Watching tape on Tank Dell and he is almost impossible to stop and no one can block him. Perfect slot WR, because of his size may be around in the 4th.probably goes in the third round.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

A couple I liked was Darnell Wright, RT from Tennessee and Tank Dell WR from Houston. 

Wright last year in 12 games, 5 QB hurries, 2 QB hits , no sacks. I think in practice, the only player to get past him was Will McDonald once. Not as big as Jones but a huge man.

Watching tape on Tank Dell and he is almost impossible to stop and no one can block him. Perfect slot WR, because of his size may be around in the 4th.probably goes in the third round.

Agree on Darnell Wright another good RT target for us.  

Tank Dell is just so slim using him on inside routes I'm not sure how long he'll survive.  Short also makes for a more difficult target running behind tall linemen.  Maybe a day 3 target?  

Heard Greg Gabriel talk about the draft process. All of these all star games are basically 10% of the evaluation of prospects. It helps small school players get noticed. They get to see their work ethic, competitive nature, and compatibility. All things to look at. Most of grade is season long tape. 

We look at many sports journalists views when a lot of it is distracting at times. Retired scouts and former players seem to be better at valuing prospects. 

I also like listening to Matt Bowen, smart guy. He was talking about Sydney Brown/S from Illinois. Not rated high but has everything you want at FS. He compared him to Mike Brown. I'm all in on him  becoming a Bear.

I don't think we're taking a WR with a high pick, so interested in Poles finding a stud with the second tier of wide outs.

16 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Heard Greg Gabriel talk about the draft process. All of these all star games are basically 10% of the evaluation of prospects. It helps small school players get noticed. They get to see their work ethic, competitive nature, and compatibility. All things to look at. Most of grade is season long tape. 

We look at many sports journalists views when a lot of it is distracting at times. Retired scouts and former players seem to be better at valuing prospects. 

I also like listening to Matt Bowen, smart guy. He was talking about Sydney Brown/S from Illinois. Not rated high but has everything you want at FS. He compared him to Mike Brown. I'm all in on him  becoming a Bear.

I don't think we're taking a WR with a high pick, so interested in Poles finding a stud with the second tier of wide outs.

I caught Bowen's comments as well.  I'm not opposed to drafting a good FS, if nothing else we need better depth there but that should be a day 3 value pick if someone drops to us out of the 3rd Rd.  

Brad  Briggs was talking to a couple of  bears scouts at the senior Bowl and they stated they had a couple of other OCs rated higher than J M Schmitz. If true, who?

I think maybe Steve Avila may be one. Played OC before moving to OG this year. Versatile and  big man. 

Olu Oluwatimi seems to be very smart and their team leader at Michigan last year.

6 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Brad  Briggs was talking to a couple of  bears scouts at the senior Bowl and they stated they had a couple of other OCs rated higher than J M Schmitz. If true, who?

I think maybe Steve Avila may be one. Played OC before moving to OG this year. Versatile and  big man. 

Olu Oluwatimi seems to be very smart and their team leader at Michigan last year.

With John Michael-Schmitz showing well that should give us a few good targets at OC if we choose to use the draft to upgrade there.   

Right now the Bears have 4 players that have taken OC snaps. Whitehair, Mustipher, Patrick and Kramer the rookie who was on IR the whole season. At least 3 of those guys could be on the roster next year. So I'm not sure OC will be a top priority this offseason.

9 minutes ago, lemonej said:

Right now the Bears have 4 players that have taken OC snaps. Whitehair, Mustipher, Patrick and Kramer the rookie who was on IR the whole season. At least 3 of those guys could be on the roster next year. So I'm not sure OC will be a top priority this offseason.

It would  be a surprise but he could be counting on Patrick to play OC next year. He liked him but injuries affected his year. I think he brings in a FA to stabilize the line. Patrick and Kramer give us good depth.

9 hours ago, lemonej said:

The only reason I think Center could be taken high is because both Poles and Cunningham see the importance of having a great one.  Kelce and Humphrey are top 3 centers in the league, maybe 1 and 2?  If there is a guy like them in this draft, I can see them drafting him.

8 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

It would  be a surprise but he could be counting on Patrick to play OC next year. He liked him but injuries affected his year. I think he brings in a FA to stabilize the line. Patrick and Kramer give us good depth.

Whitehair never looked natural at Center and I don't think that's gotten better with age.  There's a reason they mixed in Eiselen late in the season and it's because they are searching for someone better than Mustipher.  I don't really know what Lucas Patrick is but for sure he was never better than a backup in GB.  He didn't even look good enough to be a backup in his time on the field with us but maybe the injuries played into that.  We are only paying him backup money, albeit good backup money at $4mil/yr.  I just don't see a reason to bank on him at all and I'd rather sign someone better and then cut him saving $4mil in cap space.  Then let Mustipher, Eiselen, or a rookie battle it out to be a backup. 

Was it Mauch who played C, OG, OT in the Senior Bowl and played well at all 3?  That versatility is really valuable.  He could end up starting at LG and be backup C.  He could end up the starting C too.           

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I don't really know what Lucas Patrick is but for sure he was never better than a backup in GB.  He didn't even look good enough to be a backup in his time on the field with us but maybe the injuries played into that. 

He's gotta stay a backup or go.  If GB wanted him, they would've kept him, especially after losing their starting center to the Chargers.  I don't want anyone's backups starting for this team unless there is a very reasonable explanation for it.

2 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

He's gotta stay a backup or go.  If GB wanted him, they would've kept him, especially after losing their starting center to the Chargers.  I don't want anyone's backups starting for this team unless there is a very reasonable explanation for it.

Poles left an out with his contract, 500,000 dead cap hit if cut. He's smart enough to know that didn't work out. I think he wanted him to bring some attitude to the line. Ended getting that from Jenkins. Mustifer and Eiselen need to be resigned but Kramer is still here. Mauch would be a perfect selection, he can fill in anywhere that a player doesn't work out. I think he goes in the second round. I don't think he counts on any rookies to start on the line this year and brings in free agents for the OL.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Poles left an out with his contract, 500,000 dead cap hit if cut. He's smart enough to know that didn't work out. I think he wanted him to bring some attitude to the line. Ended getting that from Jenkins. Mustifer and Eiselen need to be resigned but Kramer is still here. Mauch would be a perfect selection, he can fill in anywhere that a player doesn't work out. I think he goes in the second round. I don't think he counts on any rookies to start on the line this year and brings in free agents for the OL.

They also wanted him to help get the oline up to speed with Getsy's offense. 

• 2 weeks later...

I could see Poles bringing in a RT and then going with Patrick or Kramer at C and drafting Mauch. Then if that fails make Mauch the OC. I seen where a bear scout said to Briggs that the bears have 2 players rated higher at center than Schmitz. I believe that to be Mauch and Avila. Also don't count out Joe Tippmann as being a desirable get.