Bears CB Inventory Check-In

dawhizz

Really interested in how people see the Bears’ CBs shaking out. Obviously help is needed but what kind of help kind of depends on how you see the current roster:

Jaylon Johnson - His contract is up next year. Is he a #1 despite his lack of takeaways? Do you extend him this off-season?

Kyler Gordon - He has a rough start last season but got better and definitely flashed. Is he an outside CB or do you leave him in the slot? If he’s a slot guy who is your #2?

Kindle Vildor - Do you trust him? Seems like one of those guys who has done well relative to where he was drafted but you can’t really count on. Worth keeping absent better options but I’d like to have better options  

Josh Blackwell - They added him and got rid of Duke Shelley only for Shelley to then play well and Blackwell to kind of fail to distinguish himself. Another guy I don’t really trust currently though maybe he can be the nickel if Gordon is your #2.

Harrison Hand/Jaylon Jones/Michael Ojemudia/Greg Stroman - Jaylon Jones seemed to get the most opportunities out of this group but I think I actually like Stroman the best - he made some decent plays at the end of the year and I’d like to see them give him more of a chance. Anyone want to stump for someone else from this group?

So, where do we go now? I thought a guy like Rock Ya-Sin, who played for Eberflus for the Colts and is still available I think would make some sense but the Bears have added nothing at CB in FA, so I guess they are counting in the draft and whatever shakes out after? Seems very unlikely the Bears go CB at 9 but seems like using one of 53, 61, or 64 on a CB would make sense given this group and maybe a late round pick too. Any guys people like at those spots? Do you go for more of an outside guy or a nickel (or maybe one of each)? This draft is kind of weird in that the bigger prototype outside corners don’t have many interceptions, and they guys they do are shorter and/or lighter (like Emmanuel Forbes, who had great tape but is like 6’1” 166). I’m kind of warming to Tyrique Stevenson out of Miami. 

I have similar concerns and while I liked some of what the younger players did last year it wasn't enough to be confident in them going forward.  I have been hoping we'd just sign a vet FA on a one year $5-7mil deal so we could take this off the to-do list and focus on the trenches in this draft.   That may still happen as Poles is patient enough to wait until after the draft to see what his options are.  However the big question is where do they see Gordon at next year?   If he moves outside it's much easier to find a NB on day 2 or 3 as teams tend to grab the outside CBs earlier.  

The top player on the board at 9, and remaining blue chip, could be a CB.  From a long term budget perspective you bring in that guy and let Jaylon Johnson walk next year.   That would still leave big gaps in the trenches and I don't like that.   Plus, in any defense if you have a strong Dline/pass rush you need less talent in coverage.  Point here is that we shouldn't draft a CB at 9 but that player could be good bait for a trade down.  

Given that we have some potential solutions on the roster I think we draft one on Day 3 who fits the NB profile and let them all compete for a job.  That moves Gordon outside.   

Johnson hasn't been mentioned much in the contract extension rumors, typically we hear about Mooney and Kmet.  It's hard to gauge what value the team sees in him.  What value does Jaylon see for himself too and how close are the two sides?  Does the team want to see another year before making a decision?  It may also be that Poles has already reached out to agents for all 3 and they are closer in valuation for Kmet and Mooney so they just want to start there.   All I know for sure is that this team has been really quiet about the DBs so far.    

5 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Blackwell was outstanding on special teams. 

Peace

Maybe he is the reason we didn't re-sign DHC?  Our coverage gunners are Velus and Blackwell, with that new LB as the middle-of-the-field special teams ace.  

13 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I have similar concerns and while I liked some of what the younger players did last year it wasn't enough to be confident in them going forward.  I have been hoping we'd just sign a vet FA on a one year $5-7mil deal so we could take this off the to-do list and focus on the trenches in this draft.   That may still happen as Poles is patient enough to wait until after the draft to see what his options are.  However the big question is where do they see Gordon at next year?   If he moves outside it's much easier to find a NB on day 2 or 3 as teams tend to grab the outside CBs earlier.  

The top player on the board at 9, and remaining blue chip, could be a CB.  From a long term budget perspective you bring in that guy and let Jaylon Johnson walk next year.   That would still leave big gaps in the trenches and I don't like that.   Plus, in any defense if you have a strong Dline/pass rush you need less talent in coverage.  Point here is that we shouldn't draft a CB at 9 but that player could be good bait for a trade down.  

Given that we have some potential solutions on the roster I think we draft one on Day 3 who fits the NB profile and let them all compete for a job.  That moves Gordon outside.   

Johnson hasn't been mentioned much in the contract extension rumors, typically we hear about Mooney and Kmet.  It's hard to gauge what value the team sees in him.  What value does Jaylon see for himself too and how close are the two sides?  Does the team want to see another year before making a decision?  It may also be that Poles has already reached out to agents for all 3 and they are closer in valuation for Kmet and Mooney so they just want to start there.   All I know for sure is that this team has been really quiet about the DBs so far.    

I agree, Poles listed as one of his premium positions as CB. It prevents Johnson from using his play as leverage in negotiating a new contract. At least one in the top 4 picks may be a CB.

I was assuming one of the 2nd rounders, or the 3rd rounder could be used on a starting CB. 

My hope is OL, DL, Edge, CB are addressed in the first 4 picks (in any order). I could also see them doubling up at DT or OL (with OT and C) which would be ok too.

3 hours ago, adam said:

I was assuming one of the 2nd rounders, or the 3rd rounder could be used on a starting CB. 

My hope is OL, DL, Edge, CB are addressed in the first 4 picks (in any order). I could also see them doubling up at DT or OL (with OT and C) which would be ok too.

If we had to go in to the season with what we had, we could get by with a better pass rush. The new LBers are good in coverage that will help the back 4. Rock Ya Sin is still out there. I think maybe get that done. Then a draft pick.