Northern Michigan OT Jake Witt

Pixote

Swift Sports Network put out a short video about Poles interest in Jake Witt. Seems he has been in touch with him for over a year, interviewed him, took him out to dinner, etc... Then I read an interview held with him on windycitygridiron.com. I suspect Poles will draft him with one of our 7th round picks or gamble and pick him up as a UFA. One way or another, don't be surprised if this kid doesn't wind up as a special project for Poles on our practice squad.

3 hours ago, Pixote said:

Swift Sports Network put out a short video about Poles interest in Jake Witt. Seems he has been in touch with him for over a year, interviewed him, took him out to dinner, etc... Then I read an interview held with him on windycitygridiron.com. I suspect Poles will draft him with one of our 7th round picks or gamble and pick him up as a UFA. One way or another, don't be surprised if this kid doesn't wind up as a special project for Poles on our practice squad.

I agree.

I like it from a development perspective.  Eiselen has shown tremendous improvement the last two years.  Having solid backups are tremendously valuable.  If they can turn into plus starters, even better.  I still want the thoroughbreds drafted, knowing you have a contingency plan of they fail or are hard to extend..

7 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I like it from a development perspective.  Eiselen has shown tremendous improvement the last two years.  Having solid backups are tremendously valuable.  If they can turn into plus starters, even better.  I still want the thoroughbreds drafted, knowing you have a contingency plan of they fail or are hard to extend..

For sure, and if we do it right and are able to consistently identify talent in the draft, then we will become a team like the Patriots who trade good players at 28 years old who still have a year left on their deals for draft picks. And you keep new talent in the pipeline.

Somewhere in the 5th round or later, we should even draft a QB. And by that I mean every position.

Poles is certainly setting the stage for that kid of sustainable pipeline, but he and our staff will need to do a great job in the draft every year to keep it going.

I cant wait to see what he does next month.

We only have one year to judge Poles draft expertise. He now has all of his men in place to stack he draft. Last year he had leftovers from Pace. Having 5 draft picks in 2022 and ended up with 5 starters until Sanborn was injured. Plus still have Velus Jones to step up in his second year. Brought in Jaylon Jones and Josh Blackwell that looks like valuable backups. I think J'Tre Carter takes a step forward this year also. His first draft still can bring us value in it's second year.

Gordon will progress, Brisker turns into a star. Braxton Jones becomes a legitimate LT.  Don't under estimate. Dominique Robinson, V Jones, Doug Kramer, Ja'Tyre Carter and Elijah Hicks can still make significant contributions in their second year.  

The future looks bright with 4 picks in the top 64 players.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

We only have one year to judge Poles draft expertise. He now has all of his men in place to stack he draft. Last year he had leftovers from Pace. Having 5 draft picks in 2022 and ended up with 5 starters until Sanborn was injured. Plus still have Velus Jones to step up in his second year. Brought in Jaylon Jones and Josh Blackwell that looks like valuable backups. I think J'Tre Carter takes a step forward this year also. His first draft still can bring us value in it's second year.

Gordon will progress, Brisker turns into a star. Braxton Jones becomes a legitimate LT.  Don't under estimate. Dominique Robinson, V Jones, Doug Kramer, Ja'Tyre Carter and Elijah Hicks can still make significant contributions in their second year.  

The future looks bright with 4 picks in the top 64 players.

These guys...