Kmet signs extension (4/$50M)

adam

• Same AAV as Hunter Henry signed last year (Henry signed for 3 years), and less than Dawson Knox.
  • T-9th highest AAV for TE in NFL
  • With $32M guaranteed and $20M first year cash, this is a front loaded deal that will have an out after 2 years and almost no dead cap after 3. 

After the Engram signing (for almost $14M per year), I assume Poles wanted to get this done before the price went up.

50 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Perfect contract for the Bears locking in a core for 4 years at a value price.  Also, Kmet gets to sign another contract before the age of 30, which adds millions more to his future.  Mooney and Johnson next...

He could sign 2 more before 30 lol. He just turned 24, so he could easily sign his next extension at 27, and 4th one at 29 (as long as he signs before March 10th.

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I like it.   Next up would be Jaylon Johnson.   It’s hard to know his valuation or at least how far apart the two sides might be in that regard.   Mooney and Claypool both have to earn it this year.  

If Johnson gets one, I think it would be midseason. I don't know how Poles views him right now. It will also depend on how Gordon and Stevenson look.

One benefit of extending him with one year left is they can apply the signing bonus to the next 5 years vs 4 from the extension, bringing his cap hit down to $11.6M per year from 24-27 compared to doing the same deal after the season which would make it $12.5M per year. 

This is a great deal for the Bears, and will look even better in a year, and a steal in two.

When Poles was interviewed and talked about the contract, he stated Kmet has did everything the right way. I think he was referring back to Roquan not doing it the right way as far as wanting the biggest contract for ILB. He will offer JJ  X number of dollars and up to JJ up accept it. There are 20 CBs making over 10 mil a yr, and 9 over 15 mil. JJ will be starting at 15 mil. Is  Poles going to give him that? 

Unless JJ gets more wow plays this year, I don't see it. 

L