Dexter is getting better

BearFan PHX

I saw this short YouTube video with every one of Dexter's snaps this week and no commentary - and best of all, it's less than 4 minutes long :)

You can easily see that he's only late getting out of his stance on about 15% of his snaps now, and when he's late it's by a much shorter interval. It's clear progress from week one. You can also see that most of the slower starts happened early in the game. He got more comfortable as the day went on, and then as he was in purer pass rush mode, he was right in rhythm with the whole line getting off the ball. And the one time he was late out of his stance in the 2nd half, he ends up two gapping the run for a tackle at the line of scrimmage. That may have something to do with it, schemewise, I dunno. All in all, this is massive improvement.

As far as his impact and play, he collapsed the pocket quite a few times. He was never moved backward. he got a few pressures, and knocked the QB down too.

I would say he is already playing at a decent average pro starter level now. And if he can improve that dramatically that quickly, there is no reason to predict any particular ceiling on him.

I was convinced that he was a nose tackle playing out of position. Now I see what Poles must have. He has nose tackle strength and great size, but he's got still huge untapped potential to be a real impact player at 3T. I wonder if we won't start seeing some notable flashes in the weeks to come from him.

44 minutes ago, adam said:

He just has to work on his pad level and get off. Once those improve, he is going to be a beast. 

agree on pad level, but his get off is on time 85% of the time now.

43 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

He's starting to read some plays too.  Caught a couple screens.  Long way to go but for just his 5th week in the NFL he was impacting quite a few plays on the pass rush.  

yes!

He is getting better, as expected.  DL need an off season under their belt to evaluate, then gain the strength they need at the pro level.  The good thing about Dexter is that he is already country strong, so NFL string will come quickly.  I still think he is a hybrid, meaning he can play nose and 3T effectively.  If that's what Flus wants from him, the perfect compliment to him would be another hybrid.

42 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

He is getting better, as expected.  DL need an off season under their belt to evaluate, then gain the strength they need at the pro level.  The good thing about Dexter is that he is already country strong, so NFL string will come quickly.  I still think he is a hybrid, meaning he can play nose and 3T effectively.  If that's what Flus wants from him, the perfect compliment to him would be another hybrid.

or a rotation with a Billings type for run heavy downs and teams, and Pickens could be that hybrid.

youre right too about the offseason in the weight room. Both Dexter and Darnell Wright are "country strong" like you said, so next year they will truly be specimens.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

One thing I thinks Poles needs to do is give Billings a contract. He's our best DL at this point in time.

he IS killing it. he's 28, so he has some left in the tank, but I dunno if he has 4 years of big money left.

Being an NFL GM is NOT easy.

11 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

he IS killing it. he's 28, so he has some left in the tank, but I dunno if he has 4 years of big money left.

Being an NFL GM is NOT easy.

I think he takes a 3 yr extension for 16 mil. At 2.6 mil he's making more in one year than he made his previous 7 combined. We are paying Justin Jones 7.4 mil. Worth more than him.