If I Was Angelo

fenom283

Draft:

The Bears Next 3 Opponents Vikings, Green Bay, New Orleans. We maybe come out 1-2 maybe 0-3, add to the fact that we are in evaluation mode meaning younger players will get more time. That doesnt bode well for our record but it helps are draft position. We are picking 11 as of now we might get lower than that not top 5 but maybe 6-10. I feel if we are in that range we can use a 1st and 3rd to Move up to get Jake Long. I really wanted to get Derek Anderson but i think Jake Long might help this team more in the long run.

Rd 1 OL Jake Long(moved up)

Rd 2 QB Colt Brennan (or another 2nd Tier QB)

Rd 3 Used to move up to get Jake Long

Rd 3 S (Craig Steltz or other Safety available)/RB

Rd 4 WR/RB

Rd 5 OL

Rd 6 BPA

Rd 7 BPA

Offense:

Find a way to get Faneca in FA we would be looking at next years OL as: Long,Faneca,Kruetz,Beekman/Garza,Tait which might even make Cedric Benson look good save some money to not chase Turner.

Rex needs an incentive laden 2-3 year contract with that line he should have more time and be more effective. In the 2nd round I think we get one of the second tier QB's (Brennan, Ainge, Henne, Booty) giving them Rex's contract length to develop into solid QB. At WR Berrian needs to be resigned and it might take like 15 mil guaranteed to get it done but to see him leave and become a beast for some other team would make me cry. Also i would like to try and sign Bryant Johnson a big possession receiver. Crayton is prolly gonna be coming off a superbowl and demand some serious coin so i'll pass on him.

Miller,R.Brown,Moose, Metcalf and Griese should not return.

Defense:

In FA Maybe Ken Hamlin comes free or we use the third round pick on a Safety like (Craig Stelz, Marcus Griffin, Tom Zibowski, or Josh Barret). Keep Mike Brown his contract is manageable and the boost he gives this team if he stays healthy is worth the risk. Briggs looks like he wants to go to the higest bidder, I would put in overly reasonable offer if someone outbids then so long Briggs hello Jamar Williams. Im not sure if we would save money cutting RMJ but if we are saving he has to go Trumaine Mcbride could slide in easily and Corey Graham is gonna surprise people he was coming off a broken leg this year, we have talent at the corner position. Alex Brown needs to start or be traded he would start on more than Half the teams in the league get the value while we can.

Archuletta,Walker, RMJ, should not return.

Special Teams:

Resign Ayanbedjo leave this years only consistent phase intact no changes.

Angelo will not trade up to draft a O-linemen and has only drafted one in the firstround throughout his tenure.Add Metcalf and he has only drafted two linemen on the first day period.I would not draft Brennan because of the offense he has played in in college doesn't translate well to a conventional NFL offense.I base my opinion on his predecessor Timmie Chang who had monster numbers also.I think he would have the same trouble once he has to move under center.This is similar to the problems Texas Tech QBs have had coming to the NFL. The Bears need help at safety but must find one that can cover and tackle. The LSU safety fits that mode and follows a mini trend that this school is becoming known for following the Landry brothers.The last 3 games will show us whether we need to draft a RB again because its obvious that Benson cannot be a 25 carry back so the need to have a stud may be important. I would add another back this offseason.

He has to look at value and we usually go Best Player Available he doesnt have the luxury this year we have serious needs. His previous years he was able to draft and red shirt this year he has to draft players that can play now so he has to get the most value out of his picks. This year he can not reach the team is not strong enough or young enough to do so. If he doesnt get Long he should not use the Number 1 on a lineman either it would be better to go:

1st QB(One of the Big Three *Woodson)

2nd OT (Barry Richardson)

3rd S Craig Steltz

3rd WR/HB Hopefully Hart Falls Far

I wouldn't mind seeing us Resign Grossman but no more than a 2 year incentive laden contract, of course this is also depending on how well Orton does. If Orton comes in and plays above and beyond our other QB's we should look to resign Rex and shop Griese to free up some cap room. I don't like the idea of having that much money sit on the bench. I think we over paid for Griese. Don't get me wrong I loved the signing but I still think we over paid.

I would hire any quality WRs from years past to come and coach Devin. I would pay a large sum to have Jerry Rice be a personal coach to 23.

I would do the same WMB...but do you really see Lovie " No Way would I hire an offensive consultant" Smith doing that? He is almost as stubborn as Jauron when it comes to "his" guys/system (see Adam Archuleta, Bob Babich, Cover 2 system with no viable safeties, etc...).

I wouldn't mind seeing us Resign Grossman but no more than a 2 year incentive laden contract, of course this is also depending on how well Orton does. If Orton comes in and plays above and beyond our other QB's we should look to resign Rex and shop Griese to free up some cap room. I don't like the idea of having that much money sit on the bench. I think we over paid for Griese. Don't get me wrong I loved the signing but I still think we over paid.

Frankly I can see the Bears trying just that, but someone will take a chance on him because the whole league knows the Bears SUCK at developing QB's...so why would he take a small incentive deal to stay here? He isn't exactly the most beloved figure in Chicago history ya know...

My personal belief is that unless Orton completely stinks we will see Griese released. There is just no reason to keep him around. He has proven he is not good enough to be a starter in this league and while he is a capable backup Orton has far more upside, is cheaper, and much younger. Bottom line if Orton doesn't play horribly (and shows some future) you release Griese, draft a QB in the 3rd round or 2nd day, and let Orton/Rex have a full blown open try out for the starting job (with the Bears signing Rex to a 2-3 year deal, small signing bonus, but nice incentives...good for Rex, good for the Bears).

In fact if you can get a draft pick for Griese (and you may) you can obviously go that route (as opposed to cutting him).

I would hire any quality WRs from years past to come and coach Devin. I would pay a large sum to have Jerry Rice be a personal coach to 23.

It is the main reason why I want Moose to stick around. I'm hoping he will be comfortable with a bit more limited role (he should still get signficant minutes on running downs as well as on 3rd down because he is still very smart and dependable). Bottom line the Bears should resign BB, try to draft a WR or find one in FA (not a huge name signing but someone that can play as a #2) with Moose sliding into the slot. You than work on developing Hester in as a #2 WR (with him also ocassionally going into the slot and utilizing his speed on crossing patterns) and also play Devin as a #4. Rashied should probably go (but I guess there is no harm keeping him around as a 5th WR).

Hope like heck that Bradley does something these final three weeks, otherwise he's probably gonna get zero minutes with the Bears next year so they might as well release him.

It may be possible to get a draft pick for Griese - from someone like Atalanta who probably will look to draft a QB, Throwing him in feet first isn't always the best recipe so sitting behind BG may be an option.

I agree with Bears88. I think we need to get a consultant for the offense who knows what we need to do. JA and company really don't draft offense and need all the help they can get. I hope Ginny or Teddy force him to employ an offense consultant.

It may be possible to get a draft pick for Griese - from someone like Atalanta who probably will look to draft a QB, Throwing him in feet first isn't always the best recipe so sitting behind BG may be an option.

At best a 6th round draft pick and thats looking pretty unlikely too. Theres qbs in free agency that are better than Griese and much cheaper too.

I agree with Bears88. I think we need to get a consultant for the offense who knows what we need to do. JA and company really don't draft offense and need all the help they can get. I hope Ginny or Teddy force him to employ an offense consultant.

I just don't see it happening. Nothing in the Bears' history even remotely leads me to believe that they would fork over dough to someone for that when that is what they are supposed to be paying Turner and the scouts for. I am not saying I would be opposed to it, but I just don't see it.

Would having a good, experience OC who can just discuss things and help evaluate offensive guys be enough, or do you want them to bring in another guy to kind of help Gabriel who has much more of a knack when it comes to offense? I really believe Gabriel is one of the best in the business but you definitely can't argue with the Bears lack of success when it comes to first day offensive talent.

Would having a good, experience OC who can just discuss things and help evaluate offensive guys be enough, or do you want them to bring in another guy to kind of help Gabriel who has much more of a knack when it comes to offense? I really believe Gabriel is one of the best in the business but you definitely can't argue with the Bears lack of success when it comes to first day offensive talent.

I think they need a total redo of how they've been identifying AND drafting offensive talent. I think if anything, this coaching staff has shown that they do NOT evaluate offensive talent very well. Let me just site another example if I could. I don't know who the guy is from Dallas who scouted Tony Romo but THAT is a guy I want here at whatever salary he wants. He can take the place of the guy or guys who somehow managed to miss a kid in our own back yard. Even if Lovie and Angelo decide to keep Turner, they should bring in a offense consultant to spend a couple months evaluating what we have and what we need and what we can do. It certainly couldn't hurt.

Make some cuts to create more cap space:

Ricky Manning

Darwin Walker

Adam Archuletta

Fred Miller

Brian Griese--if Orton can handle the job these next three weeks. If he can't, cut Orton

Acquire some key FAs. Obviously, not all listed here would be afforded, but make a play for these guys:

Left Guard--Floyd Womack. His nickname is "Pork Chop" for chrissakes!

Running Back--Michael Turner (should have drafted him 4 years ago); Julius Jones?

Tackle--a backup level guy

WR--Bryant Johnson from AZ or Patrick Crayton from DAL

Things to do with the in-house FAs:

Rex Grossman--offer an incentive based 2 year deal

Bernard Berrian--too many drops in '07, I still remember that whiff of a block he made in Philly game. SEE YA!

Lance Briggs--offer him $18 M signing bonus, 8 yr deal heavily backloaded in yrs 7&8 ($7 M/yr) $48 M total That's the max.

Reuben Brown--thanks for your service, here's a nice gold watch.

The draft

RD 1--OT Ryan Clady, Gosder Cherulis, Sam Baker this draft is OT loaded

RD 2a--WR

RD 2b--Safety--a weak draft for this position

RD 3--RB, depending on free agency activity or OT

RD 4--QB- here's a thought--how about a QB with some degree of athleticism and not some damn undersized OL with an arm

I'll stop my draft stuff here. There's too much developing for me to accurately make plans. Simply put, I'd get a starting level OT in this draft, replace lost talent at WR and continue to stock up on OT. On day two, I'd look for a project at QB and possibly some DLine help later on. This off season must be about rebuilding the offense. Let me correct that...This off season must be about BUILDING an offense. The Bears have treated offense third behind defense and special teams in their past few drafts. That's a thought process that has seeped into the fabric of the team and has ruined the core of the team. Which leads to one last thought...

Coaching staff

When things go bad under my watch, the buck stops here! I would take greater influence over the coaching staff and how they operate. Smith got a big extension last year and he deserved it. He has to have his feet put to the fire for this year. I question his staff's focus on development, focus on training and physical nature of play, and their ability to motivate their team. Too much of their plans in '07 seemed anchored on tricking the opposition rather than on out playing the other guys. There is no signature play this group can hang it's hat on--not even a bad one like the Shoop WR screen! Possibly a fake reverse to Devin Hester that didn't fake anyone out...That's my point. The Bears used to be able to line up and you knew a HB run between the guard and tackle was coming and they would still gain 5 yards!

I'd want this team to focus on fundamentals and execution. I'd start that by firing Ron Turner and hire Steve Mariucci to run the offense. Mooch developed Favre...he could help Grossman, Orton, or whoever is playing QB. Bob Babich would know he's had a "honeymoon" of sorts and better get his act together. Opponents have learned the Bears once lived off stripping the ball and have now learned how to not fumble against the Bears. Move on. Teach your players how to tackle and hit. Teach your guys how to block and shed blocks. Pretend they are a little league team and work upwards from there. In '07, they played like an bumch of little leaguers.