A Case for Keeping the Band Together...

Mongo3451

I said he was a good DC, for some reason you havent been watching the defense the last 5 weeks, now if your idea of a good DC  is to never make mistakes then you arent watching the NFL. Since he took over calling the defense it has improved, now if your whole basis of your comment was the last 4 minutes, that was bad but you dont judge coaches on small inserts in a game. He got his HC job because of the defense he coached in Indy ( larger sample size). We were playing the fifth best O in the league in their house and held them to 14 points for 56 minute. For this defense that was a good showing. The great JJ and Jackson blew the coverage on the TD to Williams. Had Getsy made the right choices , the Lions would have never had enough  time left for  their 2 drives, its still a team game.

Fields probably had his best game of season , not by stats, but because of he decision making on his pass attempts. The TD pass to Moore , he climbed the pocket and instead of running ; threw a perfect pass to DJ. Another play he had a roll out and stop short of the line and hit a side throw to Kmet for a first down, Mahomes does that all the time. On that pass to Tyler Scott he threw a perfect pass and Scott slowed down. The things you were complaining about Fields has showed better decisions in this game. If he plays this well for the next 6 games , Poles may bring him back. 

Listen to several  former QBs that does reviews on the SCORE and they all praised him. we are just fans and have our opinion and no matter what we want ,Poles will choose his best option at QB. If he hires new coaches they will have input into who plays QB. Williams and Maye may be his choice but I have watched 5 games of Williams and 3 of Maye. They dont look like special QBs to me. I watched one game on Jayden Daniels and he played well. Poles is in on  a complete analyze and I will trust him to make the right decision. 

Harbaugh is using Lamar Jackson in a similar way, his last 3 games he  had 27 rushing attempts . Apparently Harbaugh doesnt have a problem paying a QB 52 mil  a year that has running skills also. One of the better coaches in the league.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I said he was a good DC, for some reason you havent been watching the defense the last 5 weeks, now if your idea of a good DC  is to never make mistakes then you arent watching the NFL. Since he took over calling the defense it has improved, now if your whole basis of your comment was the last 4 minutes, that was bad but you dont judge coaches on small inserts in a game. He got his HC job because of the defense he coached in Indy ( larger sample size). We were playing the fifth best O in the league in their house and held them to 14 points for 56 minute. For this defense that was a good showing. The great JJ and Jackson blew the coverage on the TD to Williams. Had Getsy made the right choices , the Lions would have never had enough  time left for  their 2 drives, its still a team game.

Dude. They keep losing games. They keep going into large prevent zones and losing games they should win.

They are 29th in the league in opponent scoring. 30th in the league for opponents points per play. And we are dead last in the league in opponents 3rd down conversions. We are also the league worst in opponent red zone scoring.

We are #2 against the run, but that's because we are in the mid 20s against the pass.

Now I do believe that this defensive roster has talent, so youre gonna see some bright spots here and there, but Matt Eberflus is a clown not a coach. He is incredibly predictable, and it aint good.

I get you're a nice guy, and you want to stick up for the team, but in this case, getting this loser as far away from the decision making of our team is what's best for this team.

We shouldn't be sugar coating this any more. It's not about what he might pull out in the last couple of games, he is a total failure, and we have to move past him immediately after the season is over. This is as bad as it gets in the NFL.

This guy is worse than Nagy. By the numbers he is the worst coach in Bears history, surpassing even Abe Gibron.

In fact, while Matt Eberflus hasn't yet coached the requisite 40 games to make the list, his current .214 winning percentage would put him 4th to LAST of ALL NFL COACHES OF ALL TIME. Going back like 100 years!!

Just FYI Jim Harbaugh is #6 all time on that list with .695.
Matt Nagy is 85th at .523

There have been 198 coaches that coached at least 40 games in the NFL in history.

Eberflus has coached 28 games.

If you dont count last year, and be generous, he is .273 at 3-8, Each was against a low ranking team. One was against the worst team in the league. And it was CLOSE. (and as an aside Fields had nothing to do with 2 of the 3 wins!)

And this year's record alone, .273 would put him 6th from the bottom of the list at #193 out of #198 coaches in the entire history of the NFL if it was his career numbers. Remember that's being nice and keeping last year out of it.

Don't tell me the guy is good. It's nonsense. He is one of the worst in NFL history. Almost THE worst.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Fields probably had his best game of season , not by stats, but because of he decision making on his pass attempts. The TD pass to Moore , he climbed the pocket and instead of running ; threw a perfect pass to DJ. Another play he had a roll out and stop short of the line and hit a side throw to Kmet for a first down, Mahomes does that all the time. On that pass to Tyler Scott he threw a perfect pass and Scott slowed down. The things you were complaining about Fields has showed better decisions in this game. If he plays this well for the next 6 games , Poles may bring him back. 

Listen to several  former QBs that does reviews on the SCORE and they all praised him. we are just fans and have our opinion and no matter what we want ,Poles will choose his best option at QB. If he hires new coaches they will have input into who plays QB. Williams and Maye may be his choice but I have watched 5 games of Williams and 3 of Maye. They dont look like special QBs to me. I watched one game on Jayden Daniels and he played well. Poles is in on  a complete analyze and I will trust him to make the right decision. 

Harbaugh is using Lamar Jackson in a similar way, his last 3 games he  had 27 rushing attempts . Apparently Harbaugh doesnt have a problem paying a QB 52 mil  a year that has running skills also. One of the better coaches in the league.

Just comparing stats to the generational talent of Mahomes, you can say Fields would be on pace with him if he stayed healthy all season.  Mahomes has also been in the same system his entire career. I do think Mahomes has been shafted with his WRs hands, but that is a downfall after paying your QB.  Everyone says Fields hasn't been great but this is also his first year with talent and they are finally healthy.  Like Fields, his coaches finally have the full team.  They too are learning on the go.  It is time to win though, they need to put together a winning streak and overcome their bad decisions.

Just for the fun of it, here are the top 10 coaches of all time by winning percentage.

1   Guy Chamberlin    .784  (coached the canton bulldogs in the 1920s)
2  John Madden        .759
3  Vince Lombardi     .738
4  George Allen         .712
5  Jim Harbaugh       .695
6  Tommy Hughlitt    .694 (coached Buffalo in the 1920s)
7  Blanton Collier      .691 (coached Cleveland in the 1960s)
8  Ray Flaherty         .684 (coached Washington and the Giants in the 1940s)
9  George Halas       .682
10 Don Shula            .677

and the bottom 10

189  Marion Campbell    .300    (coached PHI and ATL in the 70s and 80s)
190  Joe Bugel               .300    (coached Arizona in the 90s)
191  Dave McGinnis       .298   (coached Arizona in the 2000s)
192  Pat Shurmur          .292   (coached CLE and PHI in the 2010s)
---- THIS IS WHERE EBERFLUS' 2023 .227 record is
193  Jimmy Phelan        .271   (coached NY and DAL in the 1950s)
194  David Shula           .268   (coached CIN in the 1990s)
195  Gus Bradley          .226   (coached JAX in the 2010s)
---- THIS IS WHERE EBERFLUS' career .214 record is
196  Steve Spagnolo    .212   (coached STL and NYG in the 2010s)
197  Hugh Jackson      .205    (coached OAK and CLE in the 2010s)
198  Bert Bell                .179    (coached PHI in the 1930s)

51 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Dude. They keep losing games. They keep going into large prevent zones and losing games they should win.

They are 29th in the league in opponent scoring. 30th in the league for opponents points per play. And we are dead last in the league in opponents 3rd down conversions. We are also the league worst in opponent red zone scoring.

We are #2 against the run, but that's because we are in the mid 20s against the pass.

Now I do believe that this defensive roster has talent, so youre gonna see some bright spots here and there, but Matt Eberflus is a clown not a coach. He is incredibly predictable, and it aint good.

I get you're a nice guy, and you want to stick up for the team, but in this case, getting this loser as far away from the decision making of our team is what's best for this team.

We shouldn't be sugar coating this any more. It's not about what he might pull out in the last couple of games, he is a total failure, and we have to move past him immediately after the season is over. This is as bad as it gets in the NFL.

This guy is worse than Nagy. By the numbers he is the worst coach in Bears history, surpassing even Abe Gibron.

In fact, while Matt Eberflus hasn't yet coached the requisite 40 games to make the list, his current .214 winning percentage would put him 4th to LAST of ALL NFL COACHES OF ALL TIME. Going back like 100 years!!

Just FYI Jim Harbaugh is #6 all time on that list with .695.
Matt Nagy is 85th at .523

There have been 198 coaches that coached at least 40 games in the NFL in hostory.

Eberflus has coached 28 games.

If you dont count last year, and be generous, he is .273 at 3-8, and two of those wins came when Fields was out and Bagent was in. Each was against a low ranking team. One was against the worst team in the league. And it was CLOSE.

And this year's record alone, .273 would put him 6th from the bottom of the list at #193 out of #198 coaches in the entire history of the NFL if it was his career numbers. Remember that's being nice and keeping last year out of it.

Don't tell me the guy is good. It's nonsense. He is one of the worst in NFL history. Almost THE worst.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

I don't like him as a HC, I said as a DC. His performance as a DC in Indy got him 3 interviews for a HC job. I don't like his inconsistent decisions.  Poles came in with a complete rebuild and gutted the team . They were competitive with a lousy roster last year but didn't win. I don't like that  they started slow because of a to easy training camp but that is more to do NFL rules, several teams started slow. Since he took over the defense they have  gotten better and now Poles got him an  edge player that should allow for better performances in the future.  He doesn't handle media very well, playing your top defensive player only 63% of the time is dumb but that is consistent with his past history. I don't want him back anymore than you do and thought his decisions to be conservative was worth being fired because  of the game. I think inconsistent play calling is a large problem and that job was given to Getsy . When he's fired he will  get another DC job because of his past history, not  because of the last 4 minutes of the game. Let me be clear I said DC not HC. The difference between me and you is you look at the negative side of everything. When Fields went 16 throws in a row and 335 yards with 4_TDs against Denver , your comments were he holds the ball to long and was  against the worst defense in the league. I would think you would want Fields to play well all the time so if Poles decides to move on from him it would get us a higher draft pick in return in a trade.

I think Flus's fate is already sealed but if Poles analyzing of the QBs in this draft decides there isn't any sure things , he may choose to bring him back and improve the team around him. With the right coaching he can be successful as a NFL QB. ( see Ravens). There is no Mahomes in this draft and Justin will never be that kind of QB. A new coach will also have input to who is QB is but Poles is in the position to get who he thinks will end up being our franchise QB , Williams, Maye, McCarthy, Daniels or even Fields. I trust his judgement. He won't care what we think.

OK so why did Mr DC call so much predictable zone in the 4th quarter?
And why did he not have Montez Sweat on the field when the game was on the line?
Why are we 29th in the league in stopping teams from scoring?
Why are we the worst team in the league on stopping teams on 3rd down?
Why are we the worst in the league in the red zone?

Eberflus is terrible. Terrible HC, terrible DC.

It's not debateable anymore. The numbers aren't vague. Eberflus is a terrible DC.

This same roster on defense is going to play SO much better for the next guy.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I agree with that but the defense is playing better was my point all along.

the defense is still 29th in the league in allowing scoring
worst at stopping 3rd down
worst in the red zone

what youre seeing is just that the defensive roster has some talent now. that they are still ranked like that means the coaching is terrible

Every situation has a positive and negative side, the last game loss totally sucked but their was some good things that happened. Some where in life I figured out that people have different opinions , mine doesnt have to agree with  everyone else .  I will never change my positive outlook on life, its serviced me well.  Im sure when the Lions went 1-6 last year coming off a 3-11-1 record , lots of fans was wanting to fire Campbell. I get that and Flus isnt the coach Campbell is but you have  to judge a season of 17 games not partial season records. 

IMHO, It will be Poles who decides if Fields is our "Franchise" QB, not a new HC who is (possibly) hired to take charge of this team. If Poles decides Fields is our man, he will interview candidates for the HC position to determine if they are 100% in agreement with Fields as the starting QB and (most important) who he would seek as his OC and what he envisions his OC can do to maximize Fields strengths. 

As far as learning a new system, look at Stroud. Rookie learned a new system quickly while adjusting to the NFL quite easily. Then why is it taking Fields so long to blossom? Look no further than his supporting cast (players but more important his coaches). Put into the right system, with an OC who knows how to use Fields' amazing talent, he will be a top 10 QB (trying to curb my enthusiasm, I actually think he could be a top 5 LOL)

5 hours ago, ChileBear said:

Likeable guy, not a good NFL head coach. It's a business, we have to jettison him at the end of the season.

Exactly. I dont dislike Eberflus, he seems like a nice guy. he is a terrible coach though.

It's like Mother Theresa or Ghandi. Who could hate them? They were amazing humans who brought love and a measure of peace to the planet. They were giants. But they would be terrible as army generals.

None of this is a slight against Eberflus the man. For example, I consider myself to be a good person too, and despite all the stuff I know and have learned about football, I would be WAY over my head if I was the head coach of the Bears, and I would hope you would argue that I should be fired.

If you care about the team, if you want to win, then you care less about the players and coaches and more about the process.

For example, should the 49ers have kept Joe Montana a few more years? He was a football God who brought them 4 Super Bowl wins. But there came a time when it was best to move on from Montana, even though he was still good enough to start for Kansas City. They went another way, and the result was that the Steve Young era happened. Should they have gone with loyalty instead to Montana, and missed the window for Young and the Super Bowl HE won for them?

So you gotta ask yourself in that situation, are you a fan of Montana the man, or the 49ers the team? They are in direct conflict with eachother - sometimes it's gotta be one or the other.

Looking for positives when we are dead last in the league is an extreme form of this. I get that you are an optimist Stinger, me too in my daily life. I love stories of redemption, I believe positive outcomes are at hand in most things I do, even when things get tough. We are probably very alike in that way. I dont judge friends and neighbors the way I judge Bears players and coaches - because I dont require the level of discipline and excellence that is required to win a Super Bowl from my friends or family. That'd be insane.

But at the same time, if you want us to stop being a joke of a franchise, people need to be held accountable for their performances. Looking for hope in Eberflus at this point, and giving him one more year is futile and misguided. I'm sure with more draft picks he might even achieve a 10th ranked defense or something. Incremental improvement is almost guaranteed when you are historically bad.

But I can tell you this with 100% certainty. Matt Eberflus will never coach the Chicago Bears to a Super Bowl win. There is zero chance of that. If Poles doesn't fire Eberflus, then Poles should be fired too for gross incompetence.

So you gotta ask yourself whether you are a fan of Eberflus the man or the Chicago Bears the team.

I'm optimistic that the Bears can be great again. I'm positive about where the future is heading for the roster. I believe that with a new coach and QB this team can rise and become a contender. Im not being negative at all. We just need to get those two positions right, and I dont believe we currently have the guys to get it done at those positions. But I believe we will in the future.

That's not pessimistic or being a hater, but it does require that the staff be replaced.

And we will all have similar discussions about Fields too.

How many times do I need to say I want him gone? I was saying the defense has been playing better under his direction and for some reason you think that means I love that guy. I loved the first 56 minutes of dominating one of the better teams in the league , yes the last 4 minutes clearly pointed to coaching problems. A good coach would have given us a win. We dont have one , OC called a good game but sucked the last 4 minutes. I dont pretend to look thru rose colored glasses but I do see the team getting better. Fields finally started showing some better decisions and your  take is we are 3-8. Poles will decide who the QB will next , neither one us will have a say in who that is. Although I do have a message in my voicemail by Ryan to give him a call back.

For reference I listen to the SCORE most of the day and watch numerous U tube videos' on the Bears and i am not the only person that thinks the way I do when it comes to praise of Fields and the better play of the D. Still lots of doom and gloom out there also. I  almost feel like we are arguing politics at some point. TBH if everyone had the same opinion on this thread, it would be quite boring.