Cole Kmet Appreciation Thread

adam

This guy has quietly put together his best season as a pro.

70 receptions, 678 yards, and 6 TDs. Receptions and yards are already a career high with 2 games left.

Yesterday was his first career 100-yard game and he did it only playing the first half.

Right now he is 7th amongst TEs in receptions, and 28th in the NFL overall.

For yards, he is 8th amongst TEs. So he clearly is a top 10 TE, and it feels like he still has some room to grow as a receiver.

I just read somewhere that he has never missed a game since being drafted. This is one tough dude. Hell, he injured his knee on the long reception in the first quarter and continued to play, refusing to leave leave knowing DJ also injured his ankle. I have to say he is a true Bear of a man.

For a while it looked like he was going to fall short of his potential, but the light has really come on for him this year. He's still pretty young too, only 24 years old.

I think he's going to be a cornerstone for this team as we ascend into becoming a contender.

5 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I just read somewhere that he has never missed a game since being drafted. This is one tough dude. Hell, he injured his knee on the long reception in the first quarter and continued to play, refusing to leave leave knowing DJ also injured his ankle. I have to say he is a true Bear of a man.

Yeah, never missed a game, 65 straight and counting, and he is a local kid to boot. I am glad they extended him, just lock him in as a lifetime Bear. Since he doesn't rely on speed, he can have a very long productive career into his mid-30s.

2 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

For a while it looked like he was going to fall short of his potential, but the light has really come on for him this year. He's still pretty young too, only 24 years old.

I think he's going to be a cornerstone for this team as we ascend into becoming a contender.

2 TDs in his first 2 seasons, then 13 in his last 2. I think he has one drop on the season on 86 targets, which is insane too. 

TE is a difficult  position to excel at early. A few exceptions to the rule  but usually they need time to develop. We have two legitiment weapons now,  need one more and our offense will be much more consistent. Every time we try the run the ball, we excel at that but Getsy just isnt good at play calling. 

7 hours ago, adam said:

2 TDs in his first 2 seasons, then 13 in his last 2. I think he has one drop on the season on 86 targets, which is insane too. 

and he's huge! He runs like Frankenstein (I love that I read it somewhere. Was it someone here that said it?), but if he gets west coast body position on you, there's really nothing you can do to stop him from catching the ball if it's placed right and on time. He will be a play action  slant and crossing monster when we run an offense again.

11 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

and he's huge! He runs like Frankenstein (I love that I read it somewhere. Was it someone here that said it?), but if he gets west coast body position on you, there's really nothing you can do to stop him from catching the ball if it's placed right and on time. He will be a play action  slant and crossing monster when we run an offense again.

I actually thought about the over the middle stuff. I am wondering if the reason we don't see much MoF stuff is because they don't have the WRs to do it. Mooney and Scott are tiny, both drop passes, and fumble. Do you really want quick slants going to those guys? Probably not. So Moore and Kmet are your only reliable targets, and you can't also just send them across the middle on every play. So personnel may have some to do with that.

I thought Shaheen was Frankenstein, but Kmet is huge too. If he could just work on his short area quickness and feet. He would be basically guardable. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

I actually thought about the over the middle stuff. I am wondering if the reason we don't see much MoF stuff is because they don't have the WRs to do it. Mooney and Scott are tiny, both drop passes, and fumble. Do you really want quick slants going to those guys? Probably not. So Moore and Kmet are your only reliable targets, and you can't also just send them across the middle on every play. So personnel may have some to do with that.

I thought Shaheen was Frankenstein, but Kmet is huge too. If he could just work on his short area quickness and feet. He would be basically guardable. 

A WR1/2 would make a huge difference.  Claypool was supposed to be that guy but he checked out of football a long time ago. I would be good drafting MHJ #1 or trading that to LVR for WR Adam's and 2 1sts.  The slots we fall to wouldn't be as exciting but it reloads the Bears with more bullets for the future.

More love:

• Kmet was the highest graded TE in Week 16 (PFF) and only played a half.
  • Kmet is the 7th highest graded TE for the year (behind only Kittle, Kelce, Hockenson, McBride, Andrews, LaPorta).
  • Kmet is tied for 7th in First Downs with 35.
  • Kmet is tied for the lead with only 1 drop and 0 fumbles lost on the season.

Im not sure they arent being targeted by the play, and Fields just isnt pulling the trigger. For example weve seen a lot of stats that that we dont use the middle of the field(!).

But when I look at the all 22, I see receivers open in the pattern in the middle of the field, Fields looking right at them and then not throwing the ball. Later in the same play, Fields may do something amazing and get a first down, and we all call that a success. But the points arent coming, and the wins are against the bad teams.

Im not here to defend Getsy, but Im not sure that the lack of middle field passes is on Getsy at all. Maybe Mooney would be better in rhythm.

3 hours ago, Connorbear said:

I believe Kmet is 3rd all time in receptions by a Bears TE with 208 and will overtake Bennett next year to take 2nd. Ditka is just over 300 so he should easily pass him in the next couple of years. 

Peace

He is tied with Bennett right now with 208. Next up Desmond Clark with 242, then Ditka with 315. At his current pace he would have an outside shot at passing Ditka in 2024, but would definitely in 2025, that would also put him in 6th all-time for Bears in receptions regardless of position. If he plays for the Bears for 10 years, he would pass Payton as the all-time leader in receptions.