If I were GM...

BearSox

There is a reason Griese isn't even considered right now. He is done in Chicago. He can't make half as many NFL passes as Rex can and he actually makes even more "bad throws/bad decisions". Having a guy who manages the game by throwing pick after pick in the red zone (he has the highest red zone pick percentage of all active qb's with a couple starts under there belt).

I'm not guaranteeing Rex is the answer but I guarantee Rex is a superior option to Griese and I'm 90% sure he's a better answer to Orton. Rex can make passes that only a handful of NFL QB's can make. He isn't as good at running an offense as Manning/Brady but who is.

Couldnt have said it any better.

bearsox, I realize I overrate Grossman and everything but you just have some kind of dislike for him that is uncanny. Griese did now outperform him this year and the only reason Orton is playing is because of a Grossman injury. Griese is terrible. If you want him to be a mentor than hire him as a qb coach or something but there is no reason to want to go into next season with Griese, Orton and FLacco as the qbs. Have you even considered you may be wrong about Flacco and he may suck? Then what? Then who is the qb in a few years?

Future GM BearSox presents to you...

CAP ROOM TO BEGIN: 14 Million (subtract 5 mil. for rookie pool)

CUTS:

-Adam Archuleta (2 mil)

-Ricky Manning Jr. (1.8 mil)

-Fred Miller (4 mil)

-Terrence Metcalf (1 mil)

-Darwin Walker (break even)

CAP AFTER CUTS: 22.8 Million

RESIGNINGS:

• Mike Brown - restructure contract to 1 year at 1 million with 3 mil. worth of incentives... possibly save 1 mil.
  • Ruben Brown - resign to a 1 year deal worth 1 million with a 1.5 million bonus
  • Lance Briggs - resign to the same type of deal as Urlacher, 6 years 56 million. 13 million dolar signing bonus. Would make around 7 million first season
  • Bernard Berrian - Franchise him, will cost around 7.2 million I believe
  • Brandon McGowan (RFA) - give a medium tender at 712K... someone signs him, oh well, we get a draft pick
LET THE FOLLOWING GO: Grossman, Davis, Gilmore, Ayanbadejo, McClover

TRADES:

-Trade Alex Brown for an early 4th round pick (lets say 3rd overall in 4th)... saves about 1.6 million

-Trade our 1st round pick (lets say 12 overall) for the 20th overall pick and their 2nd round pick

OTHER:

-Receive a 4th round compensation pick for the lose of Boone and Gage, both have very good seasons

-Remember, we lost our 5th round pick but also traded for the panthers' 5th (lets say 15th overall).

-Also remember that we got the chargers 3rd round pick... lets say they are picking with the 24th pick

CAP REMAINING BEFORE DRAFT: 4.5 Million (SAVE THIS MONEY TO RESIGN HARRIS!@#$!@@!!)

DRAFT:

1-20) Chris Williams, LT - Vanderbilt

2-12) Joe Flacco, QB - Delaware

2-20) Craig Steltz, SS - Louisiana St.

3-12) Allen Patrich, RB - Oklahoma

3-24) Heath Benedict, OL - Newberry

4-03) Davone Bess, WR - Hawaii

4-12) Jonathan Goff, LB - Vanderbilt

4-CP) Lionel Dotson, DT - Arizona

5-15) Marcus Monk, WR - Arkansas

6-12) J.J. Finley, TE - Oklahoma

7-12) Jehuu Caulcrick, FB - Michigan St.

PROJECT DEPTH CHART:

QB: Orton | Griese | Flacco

RB: Benson | Patrick | Peterson | Wolfe

FB: McKie

WR1: Berrian | Bess | Hester

WR2: Muhammad | Bradley | Monk

TE: Olsen | Clark | Finley

LT: Williams | St. Clair

LG: Brown | Garza | Beekman

C: Kreutz | Garza | Beekman

RG: Benedict | Garza | Beekman

RT: Tait | St. Clar

LDE: Ogunleye | Idonije | Bazuin

RDE: Anderson | Bazuin

UT: Harris | Dotson | Idonije

NT: Dvoracek | Adams | Kennedy/Garay

WLB: Briggs | Williams | Okwo

MLB: Urlacher | Goff | Wilson

SLB: Hillenmeyer | Goff

CB: Tillman | Vasher | McBride | Graham

FS: Manning | Gattis/Payne

SS: Brown | Steltz | McGowan

ST: Gould, Maynard, Mannaley

Might as well cut everyone on the team. :rolleyes:

Kyle Orton as your starting QB? The 08 season might be over already, after seeing that.

Couldnt have said it any better.

bearsox, I realize I overrate Grossman and everything but you just have some kind of dislike for him that is uncanny. Griese did now outperform him this year and the only reason Orton is playing is because of a Grossman injury. Griese is terrible. If you want him to be a mentor than hire him as a qb coach or something but there is no reason to want to go into next season with Griese, Orton and FLacco as the qbs. Have you even considered you may be wrong about Flacco and he may suck? Then what? Then who is the qb in a few years?

HOW DARE YOU!

Plus, the stats say otherwise about Griese and Grossman...

HOW DARE YOU!

Plus, the stats say otherwise about Griese and Grossman...

Theres no need to get into the argument of the beginning of the season Grossman vs the Oakland game and beyond Grossman now but since he came back he played much, much better and he was definitely better than Griese. I am willing to gamble you may not find one person on here that will side with you on Griese outplaying Grossman. I still think Grieses two losses to an awful Detroit team cost us our season.

Theres no need to get into the argument of the beginning of the season Grossman vs the Oakland game and beyond Grossman now but since he came back he played much, much better and he was definitely better than Griese. I am willing to gamble you may not find one person on here that will side with you on Griese outplaying Grossman. I still think Grieses two losses to an awful Detroit team cost us our season.

To me, Grossman's play from the beginning and at the end just show how inconsistant he is.

That he's better then Grossman.

Dude, just stop. You're the same person that thinks Cedric Benson is good.

Just to clarify, Rex is a hell of alot better than Griese.

Whether you like it or not.

Therefore, get your facts straight or shut your yap. :)

Therefore, get your facts straight and shut your yap. :)

Besides having a better arm and being younger, give me an example of Grossman being better then Griese. And if you give me the Rex lead us the superbowl crap, I'm gonna slap you. That's like saying Orton lead us to 10 wins in 05.

Therefore, get your facts straight or shut your yap. :)

bitching about who's better between Rex and Griese is akin to a tallest midget contest. in the end, they both still come up short. :cheers

Besides having a better arm and being younger, give me an example of Grossman being better then Griese. And if you give me the Rex lead us the superbowl crap, I'm gonna slap you. That's like saying Orton lead us to 10 wins in 05.

Rex only threw 1 interception after he came back in 3 1/2 games. Griese really surprised me with some awful interceptions in his time as a starter, particularly in the Red zone.

Rex only threw 1 interception after he came back in 3 1/2 games. Griese really surprised me with some awful interceptions in his time as a starter, particularly in the Red zone.

The offense also couldn't score when Grossman was in there. It really surprises me that someone, yet alone a majority of the board, wants to go through another year of that.

Griese, while not great, still moved the offense pretty well most of the time he was in.

Personally, I don't want to see either of them starting next year. I'm not sure what they can do to upgrade the position this year tho.

The best looking option up to this point may be Anderson, but he is only completing 56 percent of his passes. That's not good, especially when you factor int he drops he will likely get here and our far weaker line here. He's only been sacked 12 times this year. The Bears QB's, however, have been sacked 40 times, 25 for grossman (8 games) and 15 for Griese (7 games).

I think his QB scenario, Griese vs. Ortons, while drafting a rookie(Not neccissarily Flacco) is the best option for the future barring any good QB's being released/dealt.

The offense also couldn't score when Grossman was in there. It really surprises me that someone, yet alone a majority of the board, wants to go through another year of that.

Griese, while not great, still moved the offense pretty well most of the time he was in.

Personally, I don't want to see either of them starting next year. I'm not sure what they can do to upgrade the position this year tho.

The best looking option up to this point may be Anderson, but he is only completing 56 percent of his passes. That's not good, especially when you factor int he drops he will likely get here and our far weaker line here. He's only been sacked 12 times this year. The Bears QB's, however, have been sacked 40 times, 25 for grossman (8 games) and 15 for Griese (7 games).

I think his QB scenario, Griese vs. Ortons, while drafting a rookie(Not neccissarily Flacco) is the best option for the future barring any good QB's being released/dealt.

Im not going to hang all of the lack of offensive production on Grossman. Poor Oline play, RB play, WR drops, playcalling have contributed to a pretty bad offense period. Grossman was much more efficient than Griese when he returned, that is all

I think Anderson is pretty much a pipedream, the Bears arent going to pay through the nose to get Anderson from Cleveland.

The last thing I want to do is debate Griese/Grossman again, but you should be the one getting slapped for comparing Orton wins to Grossman wins. That's ridiculous.

While Grossman had some atrocious games...he did lead them to victory on numerous occasions. Let's not forget he had an above 80 passer rating 10 times. 7 of those 10 were over 100. Compare that to Orton's 4 with just 1 over 100 and this was when he was throwing high % passes. Grossman had 23TD's to Ortons 9. Grossman had a major hand in the victories last year...if you're comparing his to Orton's wins of 05...you lose all credibility.

Grossman didn't have a "MAJOR" hand in the victories alot of the victories. Orton didn't either. Both were due to a solid running game and a very excellent/turn over forcing defense.

Another problem with your comparison is this. Orton was a true rookie, who going into the season was slated to be the 3rd QB, and never took over the helm till the end of the preseason.

Grossman was a 4th and 5th year player in a majority of the games you are using int eh comparison. He was groomed 4 of those years to be the starter that respected year.