If I were GM...

BearSox

Future GM BearSox presents to you...

CAP ROOM TO BEGIN: 14 Million (subtract 5 mil. for rookie pool)

CUTS:

-Adam Archuleta (2 mil)

-Ricky Manning Jr. (1.8 mil)

-Fred Miller (4 mil)

-Terrence Metcalf (1 mil)

-Darwin Walker (break even)

CAP AFTER CUTS: 22.8 Million

RESIGNINGS:

• Mike Brown - restructure contract to 1 year at 1 million with 3 mil. worth of incentives... possibly save 1 mil.
  • Ruben Brown - resign to a 1 year deal worth 1 million with a 1.5 million bonus
  • Lance Briggs - resign to the same type of deal as Urlacher, 6 years 56 million. 13 million dolar signing bonus. Would make around 7 million first season
  • Bernard Berrian - Franchise him, will cost around 7.2 million I believe
  • Brandon McGowan (RFA) - give a medium tender at 712K... someone signs him, oh well, we get a draft pick

LET THE FOLLOWING GO: Grossman, Davis, Gilmore, Ayanbadejo, McClover

TRADES:

-Trade Alex Brown for an early 4th round pick (lets say 3rd overall in 4th)... saves about 1.6 million

-Trade our 1st round pick (lets say 12 overall) for the 20th overall pick and their 2nd round pick

OTHER:

-Receive a 4th round compensation pick for the lose of Boone and Gage, both have very good seasons

-Remember, we lost our 5th round pick but also traded for the panthers' 5th (lets say 15th overall).

-Also remember that we got the chargers 3rd round pick... lets say they are picking with the 24th pick

CAP REMAINING BEFORE DRAFT: 4.5 Million (SAVE THIS MONEY TO RESIGN HARRIS!@#$!@@!!)

DRAFT:

1-20) Chris Williams, LT - Vanderbilt

2-12) Joe Flacco, QB - Delaware

2-20) Craig Steltz, SS - Louisiana St.

3-12) Allen Patrich, RB - Oklahoma

3-24) Heath Benedict, OL - Newberry

4-03) Davone Bess, WR - Hawaii

4-12) Jonathan Goff, LB - Vanderbilt

4-CP) Lionel Dotson, DT - Arizona

5-15) Marcus Monk, WR - Arkansas

6-12) J.J. Finley, TE - Oklahoma

7-12) Jehuu Caulcrick, FB - Michigan St.

PROJECT DEPTH CHART:

QB: Orton | Griese | Flacco

RB: Benson | Patrick | Peterson | Wolfe

FB: McKie

WR1: Berrian | Bess | Hester

WR2: Muhammad | Bradley | Monk

TE: Olsen | Clark | Finley

LT: Williams | St. Clair

LG: Brown | Garza | Beekman

C: Kreutz | Garza | Beekman

RG: Benedict | Garza | Beekman

RT: Tait | St. Clar

LDE: Ogunleye | Idonije | Bazuin

RDE: Anderson | Bazuin

UT: Harris | Dotson | Idonije

NT: Dvoracek | Adams | Kennedy/Garay

WLB: Briggs | Williams | Okwo

MLB: Urlacher | Goff | Wilson

SLB: Hillenmeyer | Goff

CB: Tillman | Vasher | McBride | Graham

FS: Manning | Gattis/Payne

SS: Brown | Steltz | McGowan

ST: Gould, Maynard, Mannaley

CUTS:

-Adam Archuleta (2 mil)

-Fred Miller (4 mil)

RESIGNINGS:

• Mike Brown - restructure contract to 1 year at 1 million with 3 mil. worth of incentives... possibly save 1 mil.
  • Ruben Brown - resign to a 1 year deal worth 1 million with a 1.5 million bonus
  • Lance Briggs - resign to the same type of deal as Urlacher, 6 years 56 million. 13 million dolar signing bonus. Would make around 7 million first season
  • Brandon McGowan (RFA) - give a medium tender at 712K... someone signs him, oh well, we get a draft pick

TRADES:

-Trade Alex Brown for an early 4th round pick (lets say 3rd overall in 4th)... saves about 1.6 million

-Trade our 1st round pick (lets say 12 overall) for the 20th overall pick and their 2nd round pick

OTHER:

-Receive a 4th round compensation pick for the lose of Boone and Gage, both have very good seasons

-Remember, we lost our 5th round pick but also traded for the panthers' 5th (lets say 15th overall).

-Also remember that we got the chargers 3rd round pick... lets say they are picking with the 24th pick

CAP REMAINING BEFORE DRAFT: 4.5 Million (SAVE THIS MONEY TO RESIGN HARRIS!@#$!@@!!)

DRAFT:

PROJECT DEPTH CHART:

Thank god youre not the GM

While nothing is guaranteed, I think it's safe to say the Bears will not franchise Bernard Berrian. He is a speed receiver with average hands, and given Angelo's track record at WR I doubt he would spend that kind of money on this caliber a player.

Well it might be overpaying to franchise Berrian, he will still command top dollar, and overpaying for one year is much much smarter then signing him to a long term contract and overpaying for 6 years (Moose, cough cough). Deny it all you want, but Berrian is this teams top offensive weapon. And if we lose him, we will be in a lot of more trouble.

Well it might be overpaying to franchise Berrian, he will still command top dollar, and overpaying for one year is much much smarter then signing him to a long term contract and overpaying for 6 years (Moose, cough cough). Deny it all you want, but Berrian is this teams top offensive weapon. And if we lose him, we will be in a lot of more trouble.

Just cause he's the Bears top offensive weapon, doesnt mean he's a franchise WR. I seriously doubts he gets anything even close to what the franchise tag for a WR is annually..

Just cause he's the Bears top offensive weapon, doesnt mean he's a franchise WR. I seriously doubts he gets anything even close to what the franchise tag for a WR is annually..

He will get a lot of money in the offseason, especially with the extra cap most teams have. We have two choices, sign him to a huge long term deal or franchise him, I'd franchice him.

"Receive a 4th round compensation pick for the lose of Boone and Gage, both have very good seasons"

You're forgetting we signed Adams as a FA who played very well. I would say we may get 1 comp pick and not as high (maybe 5th round). Of course, we could also get a pick for Worrell who, although he really is not very good as a starter, has had a productive yr.

Peace

Agreed with the cuts. I would hold off on Metcalf until camp. He may a better fit for a new scheme. (which we may have) I would add Moose to the list. Keyshawn couldn't get a job this year and Moose is in the same boat. Restructure him at the league minimum or cut him. Also, attempt to trade Griese. If not, cut him.

I also like the re-signings, especially M. Brown.(I could care less about the injuries) If we could get a season out of him, it would like hitting the lottery. I'm certain he would re-structure his deal. He knows he owes us for the last 3 years. We are noticeably better with him in there. Add Rex to a cost effective contract as well. It makes no sense to just let him fly with no clear replacement. Franchising Berrian is not a good option. If he doesn't sign a market value contract with the Bears, so what. He'll never be a #1. He's a puss and has diplayed a lack of instinct on many occasions. There are other guys out there and they may even pass block.

As far as the draft in concerned, there several top LT prospects in this draft. We get one, period. If we can do it in a trade down scenario, fine. If not, we keep our pick. We do not settle for mediocrity here. We get the best one we can get. Look what Joe Thomas has done for the rowns, this year. Odds are always against a stud remaining a stud from college to pro, but as you draft farther down the odds get even worse. Hitting here could be huge for a decade or more and the true key to developing a franchise QB. If we can't get a great LT, we'll always be a running team. I also draft a safety, RB and WR on day one.

Free agency would include a stud OG and Safety.

Same here. The more and more I watch Hawaii the more and more I'd love to see him playing here next year. Although, he is kind of small, and the majority of small WR's don't make an impact.

My plan would be to use him as the slot receiver.

CUTS:

-Adam Archuleta (2 mil)

-Fred Miller (4 mil)

RESIGNINGS:

Theres gonna be a team willing to throw a lot of money at him and when Urlacher signed that deal it was good but now its not

this I dont quite know what to say to. First off, it would be closer to 8 million, delending on what Moss gets this offseason it might be more. Also, just because hes the Bears best offensive weapon, which hes not, doesnt mean he is a good offensive weapon. Devin Hester is dangerously close to being able to replace Berrian as WR. Berrians drops and inconsistency make him expendable if he wants big money

just because you hate Grossman doesnt mean the Bears should let him walk. Unless Orton goes out and plays out of his mind Grossman is the best quarterback on the team and has the highest upside. Seriously, Orton, Griese and Flacco? Thats a terrible qb corps going into a season, would more than likely be the worst in the league. Also, With Grossmans injury, we could sign him for really cheap and extend his audition.

TRADES:

I dont think this is a trade many teams would be willing to do. Spare me the draft chart, I just dont see many teams giving up 2 first day picks for the 12th overall

OTHER:

DRAFT:

PROJECT DEPTH CHART:

Also, you dont have us signing 1 free agent, not 1. So youre taking the same team we have now, adding some rookies, losing a good defensive end and our starting quarterback and thats the team. The only rookies you have even really playing are the two offensive lineman. So essentially, the exact same team minus Grossman, Alex Brown and Im assuming Ayabendejo SP? since hes not listed, throwing in two rookie offensive lineman and thats it? So, the same WRs, the same safeties, the same DTs, the same RBs.

I think our number one offseason target has to be Faneca. I dont care how much we would have to overpay for him either, look what Hutchinson did for Minny, on top of himself playing great he made everyone around him better.

Resign Grossman to a short term deal

Mike Brown is signed so before restructuring him, give him a chance to stay healthy, if he cant next year let him walk, if he can, try to resign him.

Resign Briggs and try to resign Berrian. Absolutely dont franchise him, and if he wants too much money, let him walk. Maybe he can go to Washington so they can have another Randel El.

FAs to look at: Jamal Lewis, Justin Fargas, Patrick Crayton and Bryant Johnson. Try to get one of each position.

Also, see if there are any WRs that are available VIA trade. Last offseason Randy Moss, Welker and Darrell Jackson were all dealt so Im assuming there might be a good WR we could make a play for with maybe our extra third rounder.

Draft: LT,LT,LT,LT,LT Unless there is a safety that can step in and start take the best available tackle with our first round pick. Safety, DT, WR/RB (based on if they got anything in FA) I did like your Bess pick, OG should all be addressed in the draft

Depth Chart

qb-Grossman, Orton, anybody but Lumberg

rb-Benson and Fargas/Lewis splitting carries

fb-McKie

wr-Crayton/Johnson, Moose, Hester, Rookie/Bradley

te-clark and olsen

lt-rookie

lg-Faneca

c-kruetz

rg-Beekman, Garza, rookie...whichever piece of shit sticks to the wall

RT-Tait

de-Anderson/Brown

dt-Harris/Dvoracek

de-ogun/Brown

olbs-HH, Briggs

MLB- Urlacher

cbs-Vasher, Tillman, Manning/McBride

safeties (if in cover 2 doesnt matter which is which) Brown, Manning, rookie, all rotating

You picking up what Im laying down?

It's really too early for this sort of thing. You can't consider the draft until after you've dealt with early free agency and you can't deal with free agency until you see who gets extensions before free agency begins, who gets franchised, and who gets unexpectedly released. That being said, I'll comment on what you've got.

CAP ROOM TO BEGIN: 14 Million (subtract 5 mil. for rookie pool) You'd better subtract $6 mil if you're planning on 11 picks

CUTS:

-Adam Archuleta (2 mil) Would only save about $1 million

-Ricky Manning Jr. (1.8mil) Would save $1.9mil

-Fred Miller (4 mil) Miller would save $3.4mil

-Terrence Metcalf (1 mil) Metcalf would add about $500k

-Darwin Walker (break even) Walker would save $6.35mil

CAP AFTER CUTS: 22.8 Million $25.15 Million

RESIGNINGS:

• Mike Brown - restructure contract to 1 year at 1 million with 3 mil. worth of incentives... possibly save 1 mil. Sounds good in theory except that in the final year of a contract, all incentives already count against the cap. You're best off leaving him with his $2.44 mil salary instead of increasing his cap hit
  • Ruben Brown - resign to a 1 year deal worth 1 million with a 1.5 million bonus I'm fine with that as long as they can actually reattach his arm.
  • Lance Briggs - resign to the same type of deal as Urlacher, 6 years 56 million. 13 million dolar signing bonus. Would make around 7 million first season As you describe it, that's not a deal Lance would accept. Give him a $20 mil SB and a $3 mil salary and his cap hit is about $7 mil
  • Bernard Berrian - Franchise him, will cost around 7.2 million I believe - I think we'll be able to sign him to a long term deal that would give him a much smaller cap hit this year than the franchise tag
  • Brandon McGowan (RFA) - give a medium tender at 712K... someone signs him, oh well, we get a draft pickThe lowest tender that would be about 900k, wouldn't give us any compensation because he was undrafted. For about $1,4 mil we could guarantee a 2nd rounder.
LET THE FOLLOWING GO: GrossmanI don't see this happening, Davis, Gilmore, Ayanbadejo I think we could get him signed for about $1.5 mil per year - which is a bargain, McClover

TRADES:

-Trade Alex Brown for an early 4th round pick (lets say 3rd overall in 4th)... saves about 1.6 million I think this would be dumb and would only save about $130k. He's our best run defender on that side. Anderson is proving to be best off the bench

-Trade our 1st round pick (lets say 12 overall) for the 20th overall pick and their 2nd round pick I'm always a fan of trading down, but it's hardly a sure thig to find a partner

OTHER:

-Receive a 4th round compensation pick for the lose of Boone and Gage, both have very good seasons I'll be shocked if we get a 7th - part of the formula for determining the comp picks has to do with the size of the contract they sign. They aren't getting paid much.

DRAFT:

PROJECT DEPTH CHART:

Good effort for a hypothetical exercise although you have completely neglected free agency beyond our own players. That will determine our draft needs alot more clearly.

Agreed, our own roster cuts & resignings and our moves in free agancy (which I suspect we will be more active in than last year) will determine our draft strategy.

I think this will be a far more entertaining off-season than last years. I see us being very pro active!

CUTS:

-Adam Archuleta (2 mil)

-Fred Miller (4 mil)

RESIGNINGS:

TRADES:

OTHER:

DRAFT:

PROJECT DEPTH CHART:

I have to say under that scenario the QB position and the offensive line would still be a disaster for the most part. I also think you still have serious questions at the safety position (although you did use a first take pick on a safety).

It would actually be an offseason battle between him and Griese. I just put Orton at the top... cause I can.

That is the problem. The offensive line, which was the Bears biggest weakness, isn't improved and you have Griese who is in no way shape or form as a guy battling for a starting job. Unless Orton is really looking good these next couple weeks the QB position would be a complete disaster.

Whether people like Rex or not, he is the best QB the Bears have on the roster and that is most likely be a long-shot (barring what Orton does and I don't think Orton has the skill-set, ie the quick release necessary, but I am hoping I am wrong). I think Orton has the makes of being a very solid backup QB though and I do think he could be a pretty solid WCO QB.

Griese has out played Grossman this season. Griese can better help the development of Flacco.

Face it people, while Griese might not be good, neither is Grossman. Grossman can throw a football, and that is about the only thing he can do.

Griese has out played Grossman this season. Griese can better help the development of Flacco.

Face it people, while Griese might not be good, neither is Grossman. Grossman can throw a football, and that is about the only thing he can do.

There is a reason Griese isn't even considered right now. He is done in Chicago. He can't make half as many NFL passes as Rex can and he actually makes even more "bad throws/bad decisions". Having a guy who manages the game by throwing pick after pick in the red zone (he has the highest red zone pick percentage of all active qb's with a couple starts under there belt).

I'm not guaranteeing Rex is the answer but I guarantee Rex is a superior option to Griese and I'm 90% sure he's a better answer to Orton. Rex can make passes that only a handful of NFL QB's can make. He isn't as good at running an offense as Manning/Brady but who is.

The reason why Griese isn't playing right now and Orton is... that's just common sense. We have to see what Orton can do. Grossman can throw a football as well as anyone, but he is inconsistent, gets into bad habits, and he can't read a defense if his life depended on it.

Agreed with the cuts. I would hold off on Metcalf until camp. He may a better fit for a new scheme. (which we may have) I would add Moose to the list. Keyshawn couldn't get a job this year and Moose is in the same boat. Restructure him at the league minimum or cut him. Also, attempt to trade Griese. If not, cut him.

I also like the re-signings, especially M. Brown.(I could care less about the injuries) If we could get a season out of him, it would like hitting the lottery. I'm certain he would re-structure his deal. He knows he owes us for the last 3 years. We are noticeably better with him in there. Add Rex to a cost effective contract as well. It makes no sense to just let him fly with no clear replacement. Franchising Berrian is not a good option. If he doesn't sign a market value contract with the Bears, so what. He'll never be a #1. He's a puss and has diplayed a lack of instinct on many occasions. There are other guys out there and they may even pass block.

As far as the draft in concerned, there several top LT prospects in this draft. We get one, period. If we can do it in a trade down scenario, fine. If not, we keep our pick. We do not settle for mediocrity here. We get the best one we can get. Look what Joe Thomas has done for the rowns, this year. Odds are always against a stud remaining a stud from college to pro, but as you draft farther down the odds get even worse. Hitting here could be huge for a decade or more and the true key to developing a franchise QB. If we can't get a great LT, we'll always be a running team. I also draft a safety, RB and WR on day one.

Free agency would include a stud OG and Safety.

There ain't no Joe Thomas in this draft. Jake Long is the closest and he can't even hold a candlestick to Thomas. Joe Thomas will be the best LT in football for the next 10 years. Long, there's still question as to if he can play LT... I'd still love to get him though.