Nothing New Under the Sun...

Mongo3451

The media disrespect continues. According to draft order, the bears finished 23rd ranked in the NFL.  Not bad considering it was year two of a complete rebuild.  We played the last half of theseason as a top fifteen team.

Fast forward to the 2024 season and the preseason rankings have arrived.  In comes The Athletic, ranking us at 24! 

As the slander and liable continues, please post rankings you find.  I want to uproot this incompetence early, so we can nail them to it later.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

The media disrespect continues. According to draft order, the bears finished 23rd ranked in the NFL.  Not bad considering it was year two of a complete rebuild.  We played the last half of theseason as a top fifteen team.

Fast forward to the 2024 season and the preseason rankings have arrived.  In comes The Athletic, ranking us at 24! 

As the slander and liable continues, please post rankings you find.  I want to uproot this incompetence early, so we can nail them to it later.

That's pretty wild considering they have the #1 and #9 pick. That alone would bump the team up a slot or two. Then consider some teams have to dump a ton of salary, like the Chargers and Saints. Those teams will be dropping. I was thinking 18-20 would be the most appropriate without knowing the QB situation.

I guess we are #24 right now, without having made our picks, and without seeing if the picks we make work out or bust.

I'm sure that if we start winning games our ranking will improve.

I used to think that the media didn't like the Bears, but now i think they just follow whoever is winning, and their narratives are about 2 months behind reality.

43 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I guess we are #24 right now, without having made our picks, and without seeing if the picks we make work out or bust.

I'm sure that if we start winning games our ranking will improve.

I used to think that the media didn't like the Bears, but now i think they just follow whoever is winning, and their narratives are about 2 months behind reality.

Houston is 5th, Green Bay is 6th.  Come on, that is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, adam said:

Houston is 5th, Green Bay is 6th.  Come on, that is ridiculous.

Oh I'm not defending them! When we start winning they will overrate us too. They're just a big dumb echo chamber, churning out common wisdom from 2 months ago.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

Oh I'm not defending them! When we start winning they will overrate us too. They're just a big dumb echo chamber, churning out common wisdom from 2 months ago.

Oh I know, I just think it is silly to put a 9-8 team in the top 10 when there were 12 double-digit win teams. 

People look at teams and rate them according to statistics usually. Stats place us there but if you're paying attention we are trending up. We are better than some teams ahead of us but until we consistently win, national media won't have a great view.

I totally believe we will have a winning season next year no matter who the QB is. With that we will move closer to the top ten. If we win a playoff game, easily will be up there. That's why GB and Houston are where they are. I like being an underdog.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

People look at teams and rate them according to statistics usually. Stats place us there but if you're paying attention we are trending up. We are better than some teams ahead of us but until we consistently win, national media won't have a great view.

I totally believe we will have a winning season next year no matter who the QB is. With that we will move closer to the top ten. If we win a playoff game, easily will be up there. That's why GB and Houston are where they are. I like being an underdog.

Totally agree!

18 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Winning consistently is the only way to get on the map when it comes to national sports media and rankings.   We as fans know we are set up for a jump in that category.  Even with the position we are in you have to admit from the outside looking in I can understand how sports media in general are more willing to hedge their bets that the Bears will find a way to screw it up and continue to be on the wrong side of the win column.   Till you do it consistently against good and bad teams alike they won't buy it.   Even as a fan I'm excited but in the back of my mind is that hope that they turn the Bears around.  We've suffered long, and have the rug pulled out from under us enough that at least some level of skepticism is warranted.  This is probably the most important offseason for the Bears in a long long time.  Who knows if/when we'll ever be in this kind of position again.  

2 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

Winning consistently is the only way to get on the map when it comes to national sports media and rankings.   We as fans know we are set up for a jump in that category.  Even with the position we are in you have to admit from the outside looking in I can understand how sports media in general are more willing to hedge their bets that the Bears will find a way to screw it up and continue to be on the wrong side of the win column.   Till you do it consistently against good and bad teams alike they won't buy it.   Even as a fan I'm excited but in the back of my mind is that hope that they turn the Bears around.  We've suffered long, and have the rug pulled out from under us enough that at least some level of skepticism is warranted.  This is probably the most important offseason for the Bears in a long long time.  Who knows if/when we'll ever be in this kind of position again.  

so true. by the time a media narrative is set, the info is months old, so you gotta win first, then they overpraise you.

I agree with you about not screwing this up too. We still have to get it right, and coach up the players to the result. We do seem to be on the right path, finally, and that feels good. But we have to pick the right guy, and that's not always easy.

But we are definitely at an inflection point for the franchise. Poles has done pretty well so far. If he gets this one right, not much else is gonna matter. Same if he whiffs.

Poles is both in an enviable position and an unenviable position.  Enviable because I’m sure 31 other GMs would love to be in a position to either take a QB like Williams or Maye and trade JF, trade the #1 for a haul and surround JF with more talent, or even traded the #1, and use our other 1st to acquire a QB to sit behind Fields and or compete for the starting job, etc. Literally so many options he could pursue. 

It’s also unenviable because what he decides to do and how that decision plays out will either make or break his future. I can only imagine the pressure and I am so glad I’m just a fan hoping that whatever he decides works out for my team.  I can have all kinds of opinions on what I might do without consequences. 

20 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

Poles is both in an enviable position and an unenviable position.  Enviable because I’m sure 31 other GMs would love to be in a position to either take a QB like Williams or Maye and trade JF, trade the #1 for a haul and surround JF with more talent, or even traded the #1, and use our other 1st to acquire a QB to sit behind Fields and or compete for the starting job, etc. Literally so many options he could pursue. 

It’s also unenviable because what he decides to do and how that decision plays out will either make or break his future. I can only imagine the pressure and I am so glad I’m just a fan hoping that whatever he decides works out for my team.  I can have all kinds of opinions on what I might do without consequences. 

truth.

its a very difficult job, and being lucky is part of it. but i think people that want a job like that know how it is. its probably a lot of fun!

1 hour ago, BearFan2000 said:

His job is on the line if he makes the wrong decision, and I think he looks forward to making the choice. Most of his decisions put us where we are right now with the draft and cap situation. He has to win this year or the owners will start to sour on him so every decision he makes will relate to us winning this year. 

Be prepared for surprises. Wouldn't it be a surprise if he traded picks, Justin and drafted MHJ, and signs Kurt Cousins for a couple of years. Warren was in Minnesota when they acquired Cousins, I know it's a joke but expect the unexpected.

6 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

I agree, and I am really hoping he gets it right.  I have much more faith in him than previous guys for sure.  It’s a very exciting time for the team.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

I have no expectation for this year other than to get players that will be with this team for years.  Time to build the foundation and continue to grow.  25-and beyond.

Poles have always stated he is building thru the draft, being year 3 of that rebuild he's still building, more bodies will build for long term rather than one QB with questions. It's all about the evaluation process. Great QB will be the pick, if there's one in the draft.