Bears trade for Ryan Bates

adam

Poles isn't afraid to trade picks or players.  Trading our 4th and 5th for depth G/C's has me a little concerned since Feeney seems like a wasted move  and using the pick on C Doug Kramer.  Seems like we are throwing many darts at an important position and missing the board. This move tells me he has another move in his mind to get some draft value back and it scares me if the plan is moving out from no1.   

With so few picks, and the likely haul for #1, it seems that trading #1 has gained some steam by this trade. Going from 6 picks to 5, with 1 going to a QB would make this a pretty thin draft class. I know they can trade #9, but they need a trade partner, and it would seem like the only option would be a team wanting to move up for a QB.

Bates' contract is great for the Bears. Two years, at $4M per year with zero dead money. Virtually zero risk outside of losing the 5th Round pick. 

Bears still have the 4th most cap space at $75M after this move. If they trade Fields, they gain back $3.2M, almost the entire Bates cap hit. 

37 minutes ago, adam said:

With so few picks, and the likely haul for #1, it seems that trading #1 has gained some steam by this trade. Going from 6 picks to 5, with 1 going to a QB would make this a pretty thin draft class. I know they can trade #9, but they need a trade partner, and it would seem like the only option would be a team wanting to move up for a QB.

I think the writing is on the wall, it's not Justin being traded but the first pick instead. Caleb blowing off the physical, first at the Combine then 2 days later takes Poles out of the Williams market. He may trade back and take Maye or Daniels but not doing the Williams pick anymore. IMO. 

Watch some tape on Bates and lots of good things to see. He is better at pass blocking than the run. Good at the point of attack. Watch some reps where he manhandled Billings on a few plays and Wilkins from Miami. That's no easy task.

From what I could understand, they were grooming Bates to take over for Mitch Morse, who's 32. They have cap issues and can pay a minimum salary instead of 4 a mil a year so they traded him .

33 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Seems like not a great look for Poles that the Bills got a 5th round pick from the Bears for their back-up C and then straight up released their starting C . . 

IDK, Morse is five years older than Bates (32 vs 27) and has a greater cap hit (8.5M vs 5M). I wouldn't be surprised if Poles knew Morse was going to be available when he traded for Bates. 

18 minutes ago, Pixote said:

IDK, Morse is five years older than Bates (32 vs 27) and has a greater cap hit (8.5M vs 5M). I wouldn't be surprised if Poles knew Morse was going to be available when he traded for Bates. 

Maybe, but on the flip side maybe Bates would have just been released as well. 

Just now, dawhizz said:

True. Possible.

I think Poles liked him enough to have him locked up for 2 years for a low cap hit and not gamble on losing him a 2nd time to a higher bidder.

15 minutes ago, Pixote said:

True. Possible.

I think Poles liked him enough to have him locked up for 2 years for a low cap hit and not gamble on losing him a 2nd time to a higher bidder.

Lets just look at him as a vet backup and 4 mil is the going rate for that type of player. He can play several positions. Poles is not done with the center position. Doubt we ever get to draft JPJ but maybe Zach Frazier. Brian Allen was released but has injuries concern, maybe he brings him in with Bates as the backup plan.

36 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

probably, and then you've got to compete with other teams. He will be a backup here most likely, whereas another lesser team could easily afford $4M a year and make him a starter. ANd he would have chosen being a starter Im sure, so Poles paid the price to make him a Bear.

33 minutes ago, Pixote said:

True. Possible.

oops you beat me to it - exactly.

Bears signed a FS / SPecial Teams guy who worked with Hightower in SF. He was a Packer last year but was injured.

Good depth, special teams move. ANd protection at an open position before free agency / the draft as a CYA too.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2024/03/08/bears-free-agent-signing-safety-tarvarius-moore-collin-johnson-special-teams-stalwart-san-francisco-49ers-richard-hightower

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

Bears signed a FS / SPecial Teams guy who worked with Hightower in SF. He was a Packer last year but was injured.

Good depth, special teams move. ANd protection at an open position before free agency / the draft as a CYA too.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2024/03/08/bears-free-agent-signing-safety-tarvarius-moore-collin-johnson-special-teams-stalwart-san-francisco-49ers-richard-hightower

The Hightower connection from SF. Nice move indeed.

1 minute ago, adam said:

The Hightower connection from SF. Nice move indeed.

and a CYA/depth at FS, even though our worst case scenario right now would be Elijah Hicks at FS, which isn't SO bad.