Bears sign vet OL Matt Prior to 1yr deal (was with 49ers last year)

DABEARSDABOMB

Poles is just making sure he covers every position he might draft, so he is free to get the guy that falls to #9.

If a great LOT falls, then we could take him. WR will be the first most likely target I think, but if the top 3 are gone, we could look at OT or DL too. Or Bowers.

So this creates backup and competition at LOT if we take a WR, but it isn't so much that it prevents us from drafting Fashanu or Alt if we love them and they fall while the WRs go early?

I think we will go into this season wishing we had more impact players at two or three of these spots WR, LOT, OG, OC, DE and DT. And that will be when we put the cherry on top in next years offseason.

This year we will be pretty loaded, but a couple of these cheaper signings could well get playing time too. We are on schedule to realistically compete for superbowls with a window opening in the 2025 season, and there is no law that says they couldnt gel this season and make a run either.

48 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Poles is just making sure he covers every position he might draft, so he is free to get the guy that falls to #9.

If a great LOT falls, then we could take him. WR will be the first most likely target I think, but if the top 3 are gone, we could look at OT or DL too. Or Bowers.

So this creates backup and competition at LOT if we take a WR, but it isn't so much that it prevents us from drafting Fashanu or Alt if we love them and they fall while the WRs go early?

I think we will go into this season wishing we had more impact players at two or three of these spots WR, LOT, OG, OC, DE and DT. And that will be when we put the cherry on top in next years offseason.

This year we will be pretty loaded, but a couple of these cheaper signings could well get playing time too. We are on schedule to realistically compete for superbowls with a window opening in the 2025 season, and there is no law that says they couldnt gel this season and make a run either.

He wasn't drafting a OT at nine anyway. 

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

He wasn't drafting a OT at nine anyway. 

if all the WRs are gone, and the Bears have an OT ranked high who falls, it's definitely a possibility. You dont go into a draft locked into a position with a pick unless you have the #1 pick. Weve seen that with good and bad GMs alike. It's just the way its done. Like playing poker - you cant control the next card, but you can play the odds over time, and picking BPA is always what you strive to be able to do.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

The only position you truly draft up for need is QB.  If you think a LT has all pro ability for the next 15 years, you take him.

We all need to remember the premium positions.  QB, LT, EDGE and WR.

I'm not saying that isn't a good idea, I don't think Poles takes one this year. His feather in his cap in his first year was drafting a 5 th round pick that made good. Was ranked 18 th among OTs. This year his injury affected him early but played well at the end of the season. With all of our needs, I don't think he's redrafting positions quite yet. 

10 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I'm not saying that isn't a good idea, I don't think Poles takes one this year. His feather in his cap in his first year was drafting a 5 th round pick that made good. Was ranked 18 th among OTs. This year his injury affected him early but played well at the end of the season. With all of our needs, I don't think he's redrafting positions quite yet. 

But will Poles want to pay starting LOT money for him to resign when his rookie deal expires?

20 minutes ago, Pixote said:

But will Poles want to pay starting LOT money for him to resign when his rookie deal expires?

I don't see it and see that will be a high pick next year.  He is vulnerable against the bull rush and he needs to improve drastically there to get the extension.  

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

He's going into his third year, we will see what he developed into. If he works hard he'll be better than average, I tink he was ranked 19 th this year.

5 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

if all the WRs are gone, and the Bears have an OT ranked high who falls, it's definitely a possibility. You dont go into a draft locked into a position with a pick unless you have the #1 pick. Weve seen that with good and bad GMs alike. It's just the way its done. Like playing poker - you cant control the next card, but you can play the odds over time, and picking BPA is always what you strive to be able to do.

If Alt is sitting there - I draft him and don’t think twice. If he isn’t and it is one of the wideouts - same thing. 

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

I think if he plays well this year - he gets an extension. If he plays meh - they are use cap space next year or a first round pick on a tackle. 

15 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I think if he plays well this year - he gets an extension. If he plays meh - they are use cap space next year or a first round pick on a tackle. 

Agree, he has to earn  his,place but up to this point has played better than many drafted ahead of him.