Fields traded to Steelers (for real)

dawhizz

5 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I could certainly see why Justin wouldn't want to hold the clipboard for Hurts. He'd maybe get one or two starts a year due to Hurts being injured. As far as Detroit, HELL NO, Poles don't want him in our division because, quite frankly, JF1 will eventually figure it all out and be an upper-echelon quarterback.

Wilson is as new as Fields in Pittsburgh, so I think Fields sees a path to starting there. RW only has a one year deal too, and is 35. It will be interesting to see if PIT picks up his 5th year option. I don't think they will, which will be telling. Also, PIT is setting themselves up for some issues in a few years either way. Next year, they are going to have to pay a QB one way or another. They would have to cut/no re-sign Cam Heyward and Fitzpatrick to absorb a normal QB contract, probably more. 

It would be tough to pass up Hurts who has years of experience in the offense. I wouldn't be surprised if DET and MIN were at least inquiring about Fields. Fields did shred Detroit a few times. MIN, not so much. 

I was surprised PIT moved on from Johnson at WR. They now only have Pickens, Van Jefferson, and Calvin Austin. Pickens is going to get a lot of attention, something he didn't have to worry about as much with Johnson on the field across from him.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking at some teams QB rooms, I have no clue why IND did not take a flyer on Fields. They have no clue what Richardson will become, and they signed Joe Flacco as his backup? Talk about two completely opposite QBs. Flacco is a statue. So odd. 

How about Denver? Stidham and Dinucci? Really? 

Washington could've had Fields for peanuts but instead chose Mariota who is QB1 right now.

Tennessee has Levis, Willis, and signed Rudolph. Fields would've been a decent fit there in between Levis and Willis. 

2 hours ago, Pixote said:

🤣 🤣 🤣

well, just think about it logically.

If Poles got a 3rd round offer (thats an IF, I dont know what his offers were) and accepted a 6th round offer instead because he wanted to be nice to Fields and give him his choice of team, then he would be choosing what's best for Fields over what's best for the team.

And that was precisely my concern with the hug. I'm glad it didn't go so far as keeping Fields, but IF that's what happened, how else could you read it but loyalty to Fields over loyalty to the team?

You're hugging a guy, and then you're trading him away. It's kind of a mixed message that might make you feel guilty, and say, give up a 3rd round pick to be "fair" to Justin. And why else would you do that, but loyalty to the player over the team?

It's a message to all players on our roster.

Be a Bear. Support your community. Support your teammates on the field and in the locker room. Work hard, give us 100%. (Justin did all of this!)

If you succeed, we will reward you with an extension. (See Kmet & JJ)

If it doesn't work out after giving us your best, we will do right by you. (Justin)

That doesn't mean we can offer you an extension or pay you above market value. As a player you understand this is a business.

However, if we have to part ways, we'll do all we can to make sure you land on your feet and are in a good situation that will offer you a chance to start over and continue to strive to be your best.

Poles did what he thought was needed to give Justin a chance to succeed going forward.

We don't know what he was offered for Justin by other teams or if there were any offers given.

But I assure you, I do know that Poles gained the respect of the locker room by handling a very difficult situation in a dignified manner. 

BTW, You do know that if we draft Caleb, Poles will probably hug him! 

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

It's a message to all players on our roster.

Be a Bear. Support your community. Support your teammates on the field and in the locker room. Work hard, give us 100%. (Justin did all of this!)

If you succeed, we will reward you with an extension. (See Kmet & JJ)

If it doesn't work out after giving us your best, we will do right by you. (Justin)

That doesn't mean we can offer you an extension or pay you above market value. As a player you understand this is a business.

However, if we have to part ways, we'll do all we can to make sure you land on your feet and are in a good situation that will offer you a chance to start over and continue to strive to be your best.

Poles did what he thought was needed to give Justin a chance to succeed going forward.

We don't know what he was offered for Justin by other teams or if there were any offers given.

But I assure you, I do know that Poles gained the respect of the locker room by handling a very difficult situation in a dignified manner. 

BTW, You do know that if we draft Caleb, Poles will probably hug him! 

ok this is all well said. I see what you mean. i dont agree with it in every circumstance, and it's a matter of degree, but its a good point youre making.

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

well, just think about it logically.

If Poles got a 3rd round offer (thats an IF, I dont know what his offers were) and accepted a 6th round offer instead because he wanted to be nice to Fields and give him his choice of team, then he would be choosing what's best for Fields over what's best for the team.

And that was precisely my concern with the hug. I'm glad it didn't go so far as keeping Fields, but IF that's what happened, how else could you read it but loyalty to Fields over loyalty to the team?

You're hugging a guy, and then you're trading him away. It's kind of a mixed message that might make you feel guilty, and say, give up a 3rd round pick to be "fair" to Justin. And why else would you do that, but loyalty to the player over the team?

He gained valuable respect from his players by respecting Justin's wishes. Players like to be treated well. Everyone is not business robots, humanity matters.