Ryan Tannehill?

CrackerDog

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

As a vet to be around Caleb, cool, but i sure hope we keep Bagent, i thought he had real promise too.

I think Bagent might be the wildcard. Be able to hold the spot down until Caleb is ready.

I’d guess it’s sheer speculation if at all.  Didn’t see anything about it.  But did see some mention of him (as a suggestion) to go to Raiders and Broncos.  

There were some rumblings I saw a few weeks back of the Bears possibly being interested in Justin Herbert.  But I think that was more bored sportswriters than anything. 

17 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

As a vet to be around Caleb, cool, but i sure hope we keep Bagent, i thought he had real promise too.

I would not cut Bagent - I think it would be more. Bagent keeps getting reps but you have a good stable vet to work with both of them. 

Barring injury or some disastrous training camp - Caleb is going to start out of the gate. 

32 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I would not cut Bagent - I think it would be more. Bagent keeps getting reps but you have a good stable vet to work with both of them. 

Barring injury or some disastrous training camp - Caleb is going to start out of the gate. 

I think youre right. Bagent is in case of injury.

I don’t get it. Haven’t has shown he can play and I don’t know why we would spend what bit would probably take to get Tannehill for a guy who hasn’t been super receptive to a mentor role in the past. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/ryan-tannehill-malik-willis-situation-spotlights-the-challenging-yet-vital-natur

I think it's going to have to be Waldron, Joseph and Thomas Brown to teach Caleb.

I suspect Brown is the secret weapon, who can play the role a vet QB might have in addition to the OC and QB coach?

1 hour ago, killakrzydav said:

I'm not sure if I would think Ryan could teach CW anything to be honest.  It would be a terrible signing.

It's more of how to adapt yo the NFL,  what to expect, how to deal with conflict, not not necessarily the passing game.

On saying that, I don't think they paying money to Ryan when they're trying to get Caleb on the field as quickly as possible. Ideally he would sit for half or the full season. If a generational QB can't find success early, probably means he's not all that.

35 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

If a generational QB can't find success early, probably means he's not all that.

no, it often takes a minute for any quarterback to get used to the new speed of the NFL game, and then learn to do what they can already do but at the new tempo.

Maybe our plan is to start him right away, but if it is, its OK if he takes a minute to get used to the new speed with these reps. It has nothing to do with how good he will or wont be in December.

You were giving Fields more benefit of the doubt right up to the end of this third season, so I think you can spare a little grace for a rookie. or dont, I dont care. It's where he ends up that matters, not how he starts.

What you hope to see early are flashes, proof of concept. Consistency and wins sometimes come later.

14 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

You were giving Fields more benefit of the doubt right up to the end of this third season, so I think you can spare a little grace for a rookie. or dont, I dont care. It's where he ends up that matters, not how he starts.

The casual fan will expect more.   They will want to see a return on why you let go a fan favorite so quickly.  Is it fair, no but is it expected?  Yes. 

For as many people critiqued Justin for his faults the same, if not more, agree he wasn’t provided the same opportunity that Caleb (or whomever they choose) will have with this new team.  I suspect there will be struggles but by the middle of the season I would expect the team to at least be .500 and make the playoffs at the end.  I agree with Stinger that the Bears are in more ‘win now’ mode (or will be) with the selection of Caleb.  

1 minute ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

The casual fan will expect more.   They will want to see a return on why you let go a fan favorite so quickly.  Is it fair, no but is it expected?  Yes. 

For as many people critiqued Justin for his faults the same, if not more, agree he wasn’t provided the same opportunity that Caleb (or whomever they choose) will have with this new team.  I suspect there will be struggles but by the middle of the season I would expect the team to at least be .500 and make the playoffs at the end.  I agree with Stinger that the Bears are in more ‘win now’ mode (or will be) with the selection of Caleb.  

well yes and no.

Youre not wrong about the casual fan, but if you're an informed fan, and I think all of us here are that, then you operate in the realm of reality, and understand that player development is a huge part of NFL success.

I dunno if they will be .500 by the middle of the season, but if you throw out the first four games, they should likely be at least .500 after that, and making a run at the playoffs.

I do think the Bears are constructed to start winning now. I dont think Eberflus is really on the hot seat as far as wins are concerned this year. If we go 8-9 I think it will be ok depending on how that looked.

But for all this prediction of rookie growing pains, there is nothing that says Williams cant come in and be like CJ Stroud was this past year either. I wont be surprised at early inconsistencies, but I wont put a ceiling on this team either. Williams will be a different QB in December too, so theres no saying what could happen then if they get to the playoffs.

My prediction is 9-8 or 10-7 and a playoff appearance, with a 50/50 shot of winning a playoff game.