Lord Poles...

Mongo3451

Yeah, I call him Lord Poles for fun, but truly believe he is going to make us a winner.  IMO, he is the best we've had since Jim Finks.  Below, is an excerpt from an article from The Atlantic I found to be outstanding.  It tells the whole Justin story, without mentioning Justin at all.  The whole article is great.

Poles went on to say that every individual has his own timeline, and some players have to be allowed time to develop to “work through some things.”

“But when it goes too far and too long, your locker room knows,” he said. “I always keep that in my mind. If I’m gonna ask those guys to take ownership of a bad game, a dropped pass, a missed assignment, I think that should be reciprocated from the front office and coaching staff as well.”

37 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Yeah, I call him Lord Poles for fun, but truly believe he is going to make us a winner.  IMO, he is the best we've had since Jim Finks.  Below, is an excerpt from an article from The Atlantic I found to be outstanding.  It tells the whole Justin story, without mentioning Justin at all.  The whole article is great.

Poles went on to say that every individual has his own timeline, and some players have to be allowed time to develop to “work through some things.”

“But when it goes too far and too long, your locker room knows,” he said. “I always keep that in my mind. If I’m gonna ask those guys to take ownership of a bad game, a dropped pass, a missed assignment, I think that should be reciprocated from the front office and coaching staff as well.”

I read the complete interview. It's an outstanding article. I have to agree 100%. Poles is the best GM the Bears have had since Jim Finks.

What I like about him, he has no problem talking to the press and he's not a bullshitter. He doesn't mince words, just leaves you hanging on interpretation of what he said but has a down to earth trait. Some of our GMs seem to talk over peoples heads, because they thought they were smarter than everyone. He's the kind of guy you have a beer with instead of a 100 bottle of wine.

Pace did the smartest guy in the room thing and was too dead set on one guy, especially when it was against popular belief. Trubisky and Shaheen are two obvious ones.

Poles has a methodical approach and the last few years sucked, but the core of this team is locked in for multiple years. Assuming they draft Williams and another starter with the other 1st round pick, this would be the list of starters and key subs with contracts thru the 2025 season as of today:

Offense (11): Williams, Swift, Moore, Kmet, Wright, Jones, Davis, Bates, Everett (0.5), WR3/Johnson, Scott (8.5/3)
Defense (15): Sweat, Walker, Billings, Dexter, Edmunds, Edwards, Johnson, Stevenson, Gordon, Brisker, Byard/Smith, Owens, Sewell, Pickens (11/4)
ST (2): Santos, Jones (2)

So only Jenkins and Allen would need to be extended to lock up the entire starting lineup thru the end of 2025.  This doesn't even consider that they will be adding 3 more starters in next year's draft at a minimum with 3 picks in the top 60. So those all could be upgrades instead of hole fillers.

An interesting note, by looking at it this way (contracts for starters for 2+ years), it really looks like they would be using #9 or the subsequent traded down pick on offense. The WRs with contracts thru 2025 are Moore, Jones, and Scott. That's it. They need more stability there, and even if Allen extends, that is a thin group. I expect a WR early. Edge is still possible, but DT seems unlikely with Billings, Dexter, and Pickens with 2+ years left on their contracts. 

1 minute ago, adam said:

Pace did the smartest guy in the room thing and was too dead set on one guy, especially when it was against popular belief. Trubisky and Shaheen are two obvious ones.

Poles has a methodical approach and the last few years sucked, but the core of this team is locked in for multiple years. Assuming they draft Williams and another starter with the other 1st round pick, this would be the list of starters and key subs with contracts thru the 2025 season as of today:

Offense (11): Williams, Swift, Moore, Kmet, Wright, Jones, Davis, Bates, Everett (0.5), WR3/Johnson, Scott (8.5/3)
Defense (15): Sweat, Walker, Billings, Dexter, Edmunds, Edwards, Johnson, Stevenson, Gordon, Brisker, Byard/Smith, Owens, Sewell, Pickens (11/4)
ST (2): Santos, Jones (2)

So only Jenkins and Allen would need to be extended to lock up the entire starting lineup thru the end of 2025.  This doesn't even consider that they will be adding 3 more starters in next year's draft at a minimum with 3 picks in the top 60. So those all could be upgrades instead of hole fillers.

An interesting note, by looking at it this way (contracts for starters for 2+ years), it really looks like they would be using #9 or the subsequent traded down pick on offense. The WRs with contracts thru 2025 are Moore, Jones, and Scott. That's it. They need more stability there, and even if Allen extends, that is a thin group. I expect a WR early. Edge is still possible, but DT seems unlikely with Billings, Dexter, and Pickens with 2+ years left on their contracts. 

I agree with allo this analysis, and your earlier analysis about blue chippers.

So while this particular argument does lean toward WR, I think we take the best of WR, OT or DE that either falls to us at 9, or a short trade down into the teens.

I think at this point it's harder to predict based on position, and will rely more on the grades and fit they have for each player, which we wont know?

But somewhere above pick 20, we will take  WR, OT or DE. And after that there will still be a long term need at the other two, but we can field a team now with what we have too, with Caleb and one of that group.

3 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I agree with allo this analysis, and your earlier analysis about blue chippers.

So while this particular argument does lean toward WR, I think we take the best of WR, OT or DE that either falls to us at 9, or a short trade down into the teens.

I think at this point it's harder to predict based on position, and will rely more on the grades and fit they have for each player, which we wont know?

But somewhere above pick 20, we will take  WR, OT or DE. And after that there will still be a long term need at the other two, but we can field a team now with what we have too, with Caleb and one of that group.

Yeah, it seems like BPA but within a group of positions like you listed. I just think WR no later than pick 75 is all but guaranteed. If they don't trade down AND select an OT, Edge, or DT at #9, #75 almost has to be a WR, which I don't necessarily like to do, but Poles almost locks himself into that, otherwise, you don't have any starter quality WRs on rookie deals. 

On 1/29/2024 at 5:04 AM, BearFan PHX said:

no doubt.

And all punters are important, but if youre going to play a possession complementary type of football where you only score 20 points but eat a lot of clock doing it and play field position over multiple possessions, for example Tony Dungy style, then the punter becomes that much more important for sure!

I mean, when your nickname is "Punt God" how bad can you be? LOL

On 1/23/2024 at 12:37 AM, Stinger226 said:

That's fair, clearly Justin is not an above average passer but his worst critics will say he has gotten better but , as of now, its not good enough. Can he get better? We will see next year with a competent play caller and more weapons. Whether here or somewhere else. People are criticizing Fields on the assumption he can't get better, totally believe he can.

On 2/10/2024 at 3:59 AM, Mongo3451 said:

It's funny.  I watched a video today, where Stephen A, Shannon Sharp and "the experts" were killing KC for moving up to draft by Mahomes.  One of the experts said he had non-existent footwork and that Big 12 QB's don't translate to the NFL.

I do trust Poles though.  Going into year three, gives me hope for to his track record so far.  This will be the biggie of all biggies.

59 minutes ago, adam said:

Yeah, it seems like BPA but within a group of positions like you listed. I just think WR no later than pick 75 is all but guaranteed. If they don't trade down AND select an OT, Edge, or DT at #9, #75 almost has to be a WR, which I don't necessarily like to do, but Poles almost locks himself into that, otherwise, you don't have any starter quality WRs on rookie deals. 

We have enough weapons for a QB  75 still should get us decent talent.. With Allen probably being a one and done, it would make sense to have his  replacement in place. If top 3 are gone, they will wait to get one .

1 hour ago, adam said:

the only thing is, once your roster gets to a certain point, starter quality means better than 3rd round. Thats when having a bunch of 6th rounders isnt helpful anymore. Our cupboard has been so bare (Bear?) for so long, we are used to the idea that getting prospects in the 5th and 6th round are crucial, but for example, we can ride with Braxton Jones now, a total example of a 5th round success, but were looking to replace him now. Not because hes bad, but because hes not a first or second round talent.

We are nearing the point where trading up will be somewhat normal for us too.

4 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

the only thing is, once your roster gets to a certain point, starter quality means better than 3rd round. Thats when having a bunch of 6th rounders isnt helpful anymore. Our cupboard has been so bare (Bear?) for so long, we are used to the idea that getting prospects in the 5th and 6th round are crucial, but for example, we can ride with Braxton Jones now, a total example of a 5th round success, but were looking to replace him now. Not because hes bad, but because hes not a first or second round talent.

We are nearing the point where trading up will be somewhat normal for us too.

Braxton Jones isn't going to be replaced. Because we are in the position to draft a top 10 T doesn't mean we will go that way. (Possible but not probable) 

Not all 22 starters are going to be high picks, the system doesn't allow you the time to build a roster of only top 50 picks.  

Our 22 starters

I'm including a # 1 picked QB.

10 top 50 picks

9 later round picks

3 UDFAs

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Braxton Jones isn't going to be replaced. Because we are in the position to draft a top 10 T doesn't mean we will go that way. (Possible but not probable) 

Not all 22 starters are going to be high picks, the system doesn't allow you the time to build a roster of only top 50 picks.  

Our 22 starters

I'm including a # 1 picked QB.

10 top 50 picks

9 later round picks

3 UDFAs

we are looking to replace him, and also add a quality WR and DL - we wont be able to do them all, I agree, but if the right OT fell, we might well pick him. That means that overall our roster is more filled out than it was when we took Braxton as a 5th rounder. That's all Im saying - that the average talent of the roster is increasing and having more 5th and 6th round picks will yield fewer starters for us than they would have 2 years ago, so they are less valuable to us now, and we are entering a phase where we might start trading up this year, or more likely next year.

Poles has us in rhythm of good talent resupply, instead of the horrible place we used to be where we were patching holes everywhere with 5th rounders etc.

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

That's your opinion.  If one is highly rated by our guys, it's possible due to it being one of the three premium positions...

2024 Poles

# 1 WR Brandon Allen

Top flight TE Gerald Everett

Center) Ryan Bates-Coleman Shelton

OL depth)Matt Pryor- Jake Curhan

New FS Kevin Byard and Jonathan Owens

Positions of need

QB--WR 3--3T--Edge 

1 minute ago, Stinger226 said:

2024 Poles

# 1 WR Brandon Allen

Top flight TE Gerald Everett

Center) Ryan Bates-Coleman Shelton

OL depth)Matt Pryor- Jake Curhan

New FS Kevin Byard and Jonathan Owens

Positions of need

QB--WR 3--3T--Edge

Keenan Allen :)

Also, you can add LOT and interior OL to the mix of continued needs. We wont quite be a complete roster this year, but we will be next year.

4 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Keenan Allen :)

Also, you can add LOT and interior OL to the mix of continued needs. We wont quite be a complete roster this year, but we will be next year.

I don't proof read everything. I use a tablet overseas and it constantly auto corrects me all the time. 

When Poles said it would take him 4 years to do a rebuild, that is exactly how it is playing out. And  yes on OC and OG. If we had a 2 nd round pick this year it would be the perfect spot to grab Zack Frazier . we still might have a shot at Van Pran in the third but prefer JPJ and Fraizer 

12 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I don't proof read everything. I use a tablet overseas and it constantly auto corrects me all the time. 

When Poles said it would take him 4 years to do a rebuild, that is exactly how it is playing out. And  yes on OC and OG. If we had a 2 nd round pick this year it would be the perfect spot to grab Zack Frazier . we still might have a shot at Van Pran in the third but prefer JPJ and Fraizer 

agree with all of that, and Allen is new, so we are all still getting used to the new guys. I cant tell you the new FS's first name at all.