Who are YOUR GUYS (and not your guys) in the Draft?

dawhizz

Now that we've all had some time to research/obsess about the draft, I always like to get feedback on guys people really like or really don't like.  It can be for the Bears specifically or just in general.  Who's the late round guy you are pounding the table for?  Who's on your bust list?  Can we have a thread that doesn't devolve into a Caleb Williams cat fight?  These are all questions I want answers to.

MY GUYS:

- Brian Thomas, WR, LSU - I've said it before, but he looks like George Pickens if Pickens could get separation.

- Jamari Thrash, WR, Louisville - I like that he can play both inside and outside, isn't afraid to go over the middle, has speed, and offers return ability.  Would be a real nice mid-round target for the Bears to challenge Velus, IMO.

- Brandon Dorlus, DL, Oregon - Really active and can play inside and outside - could be a better version of DeMarcus Walker.  I think he'd be higher rated if he had stayed at either DT or DE all year and his production would seem more translatable.  

-Darius Robinson, DE, Missouri - A better version of Dorlus, he might be the DE I would most want if the Bears trade down because he's huge and good against the pass and run.

-Jarrian Jones, CB, Florida State - Highest RAS score of any of the CBs at the combine (and 30th best all time for a CB) and his highlights show a guy who isn't afraid to mix it up in the run game reminiscent of Tyrique.  The Bears have brought in some mid-round CBs for their top 30 visits but this is a guy who looks like he would be a good fit to me.

not my guys:

- JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - I just don't see it.  Even the throws I'm supposed to be impressed often feel like situations where he lucked out because a defender didn't turn around or something.  Mac Jones vibes for me at best.

- Chop Robinson, DE, Penn State - I hear he's got a great first step and maybe he'll develop, but in ten starts last year, my man had a TOTAL of 15 tackles and five sacks.  Meanwhile his teammate Adisa Isaac started only three more games and essentially doubled those numbers.  

- Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia - I think he'll be an OK NFL move-the-chains WR, but I wouldn't take him in the first or even second because he seems injured a lot and I don't really see any special traits.

I know what i think about QBs (lol)

As for the rest, there are a few players I know I'd like to have:

WR MHJr

WR Nabers

OT Alt

Probably all gone by #9.

After that I have a few that I think would be good, but I'm not 100% sure of:

WR Odunze

OT Fashanu

DE Verse

Great players that we probably dont need roster / scheme wise:

TE Bowers

DE Turner

Then there are players I'd love to have, but might be or are too early to draft at #9:

WR Thomas

OC Powers-Johnson

OG Fuaga

Then those that we might take at #9 or later, that I haven't really scouted enough to be sure:

DT Murphy

DT Newton

DE Latu (injuries?)

I haven't scouted CBs, and  I could have missed another OT that i just didnt see enough on film.

15 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Now that we've all had some time to research/obsess about the draft, I always like to get feedback on guys people really like or really don't like.  It can be for the Bears specifically or just in general.  Who's the late round guy you are pounding the table for?  Who's on your bust list?  Can we have a thread that doesn't devolve into a Caleb Williams cat fight?  These are all questions I want answers to.

MY GUYS:

- Brian Thomas, WR, LSU - I've said it before, but he looks like George Pickens if Pickens could get separation.

- Jamari Thrash, WR, Louisville - I like that he can play both inside and outside, isn't afraid to go over the middle, has speed, and offers return ability.  Would be a real nice mid-round target for the Bears to challenge Velus, IMO.

- Brandon Dorlus, DL, Oregon - Really active and can play inside and outside - could be a better version of DeMarcus Walker.  I think he'd be higher rated if he had stayed at either DT or DE all year and his production would seem more translatable.  

-Darius Robinson, DE, Missouri - A better version of Dorlus, he might be the DE I would most want if the Bears trade down because he's huge and good against the pass and run.

-Jarrian Jones, CB, Florida State - Highest RAS score of any of the CBs at the combine (and 30th best all time for a CB) and his highlights show a guy who isn't afraid to mix it up in the run game reminiscent of Tyrique.  The Bears have brought in some mid-round CBs for their top 30 visits but this is a guy who looks like he would be a good fit to me.

not my guys:

- JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - I just don't see it.  Even the throws I'm supposed to be impressed often feel like situations where he lucked out because a defender didn't turn around or something.  Mac Jones vibes for me at best.

- Chop Robinson, DE, Penn State - I hear he's got a great first step and maybe he'll develop, but in ten starts last year, my man had a TOTAL of 15 tackles and five sacks.  Meanwhile his teammate Adisa Isaac started only three more games and essentially doubled those numbers.  

- Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia - I think he'll be an OK NFL move-the-chains WR, but I wouldn't take him in the first or even second because he seems injured a lot and I don't really see any special traits.

I love that you're educated on some of the 3rd or 4th round guys. I dont know anything down there except I heard (and cant remember) the name of the OT from Yale LOL

The best players names are common for most people. These are players that could be good that I think would fit with the Bears in a random order.

Zack Frazier- 4 time wrestling champion that skill set fits OL . I think Zach is on the same level as JPJ

Care Stover- Was recruited as a DE at OSU so has an aggressive mentality. Has a great drop rate, catches everything thrown his way.

Bralen Trice- very active edge, had 70 pressures in 2023. Watching tape he reminded me a lot of Khail Mack. More power rusher than raw speed.

Kiran Amegadjie- he has all the measurables  to be a long time starter in the NFL. Needs a couple years to develop but this is a Poles type pick.

Graham Barton- can literally play any position on the line and would be above average. Doesn't have long arms but only gave up two sacks playing LT. Low 1st or high 2 nd round draft ranking. 

Adoni  Mitchell- watched a video where Josh Lucas broke his tape down and said he's the second best WR in this draft. If we trade back later in the first round , could be a steal.

Roman Wilson- speed and great playmaker. Played on a running team or would have had great numbers.

QB - Caleb is the most ready and I like him.  Drake Maye is my highest upside guy. 

WR - guys we can get that I like are Xavier Leggette and Devontez Walker.

OL - Graham Barton has replaced JPJ as my IOL stud.  JPJ has a concussion history. 

TE - Brock fn Bowers = stud 

DE - Turner and Latu.  Turner is the opposite of Sweat, so I like the diversity.  Latu has the tools, but the neck fusion has people concerned. (Danielle Hunter is a success with the same surgery)

The obvious...and common amongst this board.

Caleb Williams QB - no brainer.  The Bears finally get a QB and the timing is perfect.

Malik Nabers or Rome Odinze WR- even with Allen and Moore, the Bears need a strong WR Corp and these 2 should become prime players with MHJ, of course. 

Laiautu Latu DE - I feel he can come in and dominate more so that Turner. If Poles wants to make a defensive splash, Latu can do it.

Trading down...

Michael Thomas Jr WR- the kid is smart and wants to be great. Include the measurables and production, he has the culture the Bears look for. 

Dariaus Robinson DE- he has size and arm length to hold or collapse the line. Add him to Dexter, Billings, and Sweat, the front 4 will be stout.

Bralen Trice DE- similiar to Robinson having that size. 

Zach Frazier C - if the Bears can find the sources to get their long term anchor, it would be a blessing. Great centers seem to be a key to winning the 3rd and short battles. 

Zac Zinter G - he may start off behind with having a bad leg break, but getting a future stud G that fits the run scheme will help keep the Bears strong competitors when decisions have to be made with Davis and Jenkins. 

DT- there are a handful of 3rd-4th round prospects that can fit this rotation. Maason Smith LSU can be a diamond or Ruke Orhoharo, Kris Jenkins. 

36 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Caleb Williams QB - no brainer.  The Bears finally get a QB and the timing is perfect.

Malik Nabers or Rome Odinze WR- even with Allen and Moore, the Bears need a strong WR Corp and these 2 should become prime players with MHJ, of course. 

Laiautu Latu DE - I feel he can come in and dominate more so that Turner. If Poles wants to make a defensive splash, Latu can do it.

Trading down...

Michael Thomas Jr WR- the kid is smart and wants to be great. Include the measurables and production, he has the culture the Bears look for. 

Dariaus Robinson DE- he has size and arm length to hold or collapse the line. Add him to Dexter, Billings, and Sweat, the front 4 will be stout.

Zach Frazier C - if the Bears can find the sources to get their long term anchor, it would be a blessing. Great centers seem to be a key to winning the 3rd and short battles. 

Zac Zinter G - he may start off behind with having a bad leg break, but getting a future stud G that fits the run scheme will help keep the Bears strong competitors when decisions have to be made with Davis and Jenkins. 

DT- there are a handful of 3rd-4th round prospects that can fit this rotation. Maason Smith LSU can be a diamond or Ruke Orhoharo, Kris Jenkins. 

If Jenkins injury history continues, he could be groomed to take his place and let him become a free agent. Well worth the 3  months he may not play.

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Trading down...

Good stuff, assuming Latu is medically ok

Guys I would look at from the 2nd round on:

Ricky Pearsall and Xavier Legette, WR
Ja'Tavion Sanders and Ben Sinnott, TE
Kiran Amegadjie, OT and Cooper Beebee, OG
Braden Fiske, DT and Adisa Isaac, Edge

I don't have many because without a big trade this is kind of a 2 pick draft with a cherry on top.   I don't know a fast way to format this so I'm just pulling off a top 100 list.  Likes are only going to be guys that standout to me so you'll see some surprises like Odunze not on my list because I think we can similar value later in the 1st. 

MHJ, Nabors (elite quickness),

Bowers,

Latu, Verse, Turner - we get better with any of these 3

Powers-Johnson

Byron Murphy, backup option at 3-tech Orhorhoro (he's raw but if he's coachable...)

McConkey.   

Graham Barton (can he play OC?)

Nubin,

Zach Frazier (not ideal for the scheme but more than good enough and he ain't going anywhere in pass pro),

Polk .    

Dislikes: 

Alt (seems to get too high and power gets under him which reminds me of the current guy but yeah, I'm a minority on that.  Part of my thinking is the value proposition - i.e. for that pick how much better are going to get versus say adding Turner or Verse? 

Legette- seems to win with muscle not finesse.  At the NFL level that balances out. 

Fatanu - a little slow in movement and how can a big dude like that have such tiny hands.     

Newton - way too slow off the snap for me.  He has 2nd/3rd step quickness once he's in motion but NFL OGs are going to have their hands on him early and can match his lateral quickness better.  He doesn't have the levers to fight it off.  I think he ends up more rotational player than starter.   

Chop - for all that athleticism he has to do something with it.  What's the saying?  All sizzle and no steak.