Draft Day

Stinger226

I could be dissuaded, but as of now, I think Poles' decision tree at #9 looks like this:

1) If one of the top three WRs is there, take him.

2) If there is a good deal to trade down without going below #20 or so, take it.

3) Failing those two, take Jared Verse.  He just seems to have the size and versatility (run + pass) that would appeal to the team while still having pass rush upside, and being a pretty safe pick.  Plus I think Verse's demeanor (that he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder after starting out at Albany) will appeal to Poles.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dawhizz said:

I could be dissuaded, but as of now, I think Poles' decision tree at #9 looks like this:

2) If there is a good deal to trade down without going below #20 or so, take it.

3) Failing those two, take Jared Verse.  He just seems to have the size and versatility (run + pass) that would appeal to the team while still having pass rush upside, and being a pretty safe pick.  Plus I think Verse's demeanor (that he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder after starting out at Albany) will appeal to Poles.

I mostly agree. I think you can add Fashanu and possibly Thomas to the "take at 9" list which would lessen the trade down likelihood to only stupid rich trade offers. Or to just moving down to 11 or something.

14 minutes ago, Bill said:

Give me Williams and Murphy with nine or a slight trade down and we have the draft I thought we had with Fields and Jenkins.   

if a 3T is the best DL available, we could definitely use them.

7 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I didnt say any of the things youre saying I said.

I didnt say your opinion is wrong because it is shared by Spielman, I just said its still just an opinion. That's all I said.

I do think the Bears are looking to draft an OT this year. They are also looking hard at WR and DL.

If Spielman says they arent considering an OT, then I think he is wrong.

I dont know why you think Im saying you dont have a right to your opinions. Im only saying you dont have a right to say I dont have a right to mine just because Spielman says so.

The jest of your statement I interpreted was just because Speilman was a GM doesn't mean he's smart. Of course it's not that black and white. I listened to him and likes the way he  framed his opinions.  He said he doesn't think their taking a OT,  nothing about they aren't considering it. Did you watch any of his videos? That is the best way to understand his opinions. 

When we read or watch videos, some we like and some we don't. It's usually ones we agree with. There is value in listening to people that have a different opinion, because sometimes we change our mind. As much as I don't agree with a lot of things you say, there has been a few times I changed my opinion and you contributed to that. 

Just now, Stinger226 said:

The jest of your statement I interpreted was just because Speilman was a GM doesn't mean he's smart. Of course it's not that black and white. I listened to him and likes the way he  framed his opinions.  He said he doesn't think their taking a OT,  nothing about they aren't considering it. Did you watch any of his videos? That is the best way to understand his opinions. 

When we read or watch videos, some we like and some we don't. It's usually ones we agree with. There is value in listening to people that have a different opinion, because sometimes we change our mind. As much as I don't agree with a lot of things you say, there has been a few times I changed my opinion and you contributed to that.

Thank you for saying that.

Listen i dont think that Spielman said it makes it WRONG either, it's just another opinion for sure.

I just think the Bears are considering OT with their second pick. And DL and WR too.

Gabriel and Speilman outlined how boards are made up and both said that need is figured in the equation. They go vertical and horizontal.

For example if you have the third WR rated close to the same value as a OT, you may take the WR instead of the first OT off the board.

They also said that they first do a valuation of their roster to know may be biggest needs and second as far as projected starters or quality backups.

6 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Thank you for saying that.

Listen i dont think that Spielman said it makes it WRONG either, it's just another opinion for sure.

I just think the Bears are considering OT with their second pick. And DL and WR too.

I actually don't disagree with that statement, it's just my opinion, their not going to do that. If they literally took 4  offensive line man, I would understand it.

12 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I actually don't disagree with that statement, it's just my opinion, their not going to do that. If they literally took 4  offensive line man, I would understand it.

yeah, I just disagree, but I have no more facts than you (or Spielman) does, just my opinion too.

19 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

yeah, I just disagree, but I have no more facts than you (or Spielman) does, just my opinion too.

As much as I don't think we are drafting a LT at 9, I understand that book end Ts would be an asset for any team, I just don't think that Alt will be there at 9. For the same reason people give why we should take him, Chargers, Tennessee and Atlanta could make the same argument.

As we see WRs keep getting bigger and bigger contracts, the more I think if one of the top WRs are there, we will take one. But chances of that are not good either. Any way you want to figure it edge keeps popping up as the best value pick at that spot. 

If we trade back ( best case scenario), then JPJ, Bowers, and our highest rated edge are more likely the choice.( Turner is rated higher but I think Verse fits our scheme better)

As far as Poles trading up, no chance in hell he does that. ( cost to high).

34 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

As much as I don't think we are drafting a LT at 9, I understand that book end Ts would be an asset for any team, I just don't think that Alt will be there at 9. For the same reason people give why we should take him, Chargers, Tennessee and Atlanta could make the same argument.

As we see WRs keep getting bigger and bigger contracts, the more I think if one of the top WRs are there, we will take one. But chances of that are not good either. Any way you want to figure it edge keeps popping up as the best value pick at that spot. 

If we trade back ( best case scenario), then JPJ, Bowers, and our highest rated edge are more likely the choice.( Turner is rated higher but I think Verse fits our scheme better)

As far as Poles trading up, no chance in hell he does that. ( cost to high).

I guess the question is how you evaluate Fashanu. He is the only OT (after Alt) I think is worthy of the #9 pick. If we trade down, there are all kinds of OL options a little later, but they arent going to be blue chip Left OTs.

Maybe Poles will get one of the big RTs a little later and move Wright to LT. Im not a big fan of moving guys who are dominating at their position, but maybe that's a smart move?

Also, who is the Edge rusher? Im not sold on Latus injuries, or Turners scheme fit (I could be way off on that tho!) and Im not sure Verse jumps out as a difference maker the way Alt, Nabers, MHJ and Odunze do?

This is our last top ten pick for a while, we need a difference maker, and to me, after Alt and the 3 WRs, thats probably Fashanu or Thomas.

I probably need to go watch some film on Turner to be sure where I am on him. If he's that good, or Verse is, the DE is definitely a difference making position. I mean, the whole reason Im looking at OT is because they block the Edges lol

On 4/18/2024 at 3:09 PM, dawhizz said:

my hope is we take an OLT at that spot or even trade up a bit to get one. i would rather fill this hard to acquire position than any receiver. the ONLY position that could be as valuable is a DE if one looks like a perennial pro bowler and not just a very good prospect.

16 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I guess the question is how you evaluate Fashanu. He is the only OT (after Alt) I think is worthy of the #9 pick. If we trade down, there are all kinds of OL options a little later, but they arent going to be blue chip Left OTs.

NextGen Stars:

"Fashanu projects as a top-10 pick with the potential to be the first OT off the board. His polished pass protection skills, athletic upside, and room for growth in the run game make make him an enticing prospect for teams seeking a long term solution at the LOT position."

From the Scouts Notebook:

"Fashanu is something special. He's got the feet of a dancer and the punch of a heavyweight boxer. I haven't seen a tackle prospect this polished in pass protection since Joe Thomas. He's gonna anchor someone's blind side for the next 15 years and make a whole bunch of Pro Bowls along the way. If I'm picking in the top 10 I'm sprinting to the podium to turn in the card with his name on it."

NextGen Stars NFL DRAFT PLAYER PROFILES 2024 - Patrick Tursic

this is a very good pre draft source of information on the players in the draft. if you don't have it it is worth the price. No photo's and in soft cover book form.

My prediction

1) Caleb Williams / QB

9) trade back with  the Bengals for pick 18-49-149  they take Brock Bowers.

18) Chop Robinson/DE

49) Roman Wilson/WR

75)Kiran Amedgadjie/OT

122) Brennan Jackson/DE

149) Beaux Limmer/OC 

Williams pick is obvious, Wilson can add to the WR room and take over for Allen when he leaves. Chop is only 21 and has lots of growth but can be a rotational DE his first year. Kiran and Limmer for depth and potential starters in the future.

Adding 2 DEs gives Walker the chance to take snaps inside at 3 T , where he has had most his sacks.

Mine:

1a) Caleb - Obvi

1b) Nabors/Odunze - I think one of them will be there and the Bears will take him.

*Small trade down in the 3rd to get a 5th and 6th*

3) Mo Kamara, DE, Colorado State - If all you want is a guy you can put in on passing downs to rush the passer when you move Walker inside, this is probably your best bet.

4) Gabe Hall, DT, Baylor- 3T potential

5) Elijah Jones, CB, Boston College - Not a huge need but the Bears seem to have done a lot of work on mid-round CBs.

6) Frank Crum, OT, Wyoming - Super athletic OT prospect to stash on the practice squad and see if he develops.  

1 hour ago, dawhizz said:

Mine:

1a) Caleb - Obvi

1b) Nabors/Odunze - I think one of them will be there and the Bears will take him.

3) Mo Kamara, DE, Colorado State - If all you want is a guy you can put in on passing downs to rush the passer when you move Walker inside, this is probably your best bet.

5) Elijah Jones, CB, Boston College - Not a huge need but the Bears seem to have done a lot of work on mid-round CBs.

6) Frank Crum, OT, Wyoming - Super athletic OT prospect to stash on the practice squad and see if he develops.  

I like Mo Kamara and Hall. I was curious why we had so many CBs come in for visits, many some end up priority free agents. 

I think all three WRs are gone by 9 so that's why we traded back in my scenario.

12 hours ago, dawhizz said:

Mine:

1a) Caleb - Obvi

So far, so good . . .

,We can still get 2 contributors at 75 and 122. Lots of names on the board yet. He's going to take BPA at several positions. If they stick to offensive players, we could get a swing T and Center prospect or OG.

75 Kiran Amedgadjie/OT and 122 Tanor Bortillini/ OC

75 Van Pran/OC and 122 Zac Zinter/OG