Draft Day

Stinger226

Everyone knows who the first pick is. What happens at 9 is the question. This  is my take and why.

1) Caleb Williams- no brainer

9) trade with LV to 13 and also get pick 77 

13). Trade with Cinn to 20 and get pick 80

20) Chop Robinson / Chop is raw but has speed and off the chart athletics. Played the a                                          true DE position and will only be 21 this year. 6'3" 255 at 4.48 speed

RAS score 9.69

75) Mo Kamara/ edge highly productive , 6'2" 250 at 4.57 speed. Compares to Brandon Graham RAS 8.82

77) Tez Walker/ WR natural playmaker with 4.36 speed. 18 TDs in last 20 games RAS 9.87

80 )Tanor Bortolini / OC   can play center and  guard and future starter. Great athlete. RAS 9.79

122) Tip Reiman/ TE great athlete at 6'5" 275 with 4.64 speed. RAS 9.93

I used the Rich Hill chart for trade value  and draft buzz and GBND report for content.

With limited picks I drafted a rotational WR with speed and upside.

Robinson was the last of the top DEs available in the first round. Chop is young and has a lot of growth to develop. Also played a true DE position. Also drafted Kamara giving more depth . Walker is capable of taking reps at 3 T that helps fill depth at DT.

Bortollini has position flexibility and is a great athlete. May take one to two years but could be our future starting center.

Rieman  is a great blocker that wasn't used much as a receiver. Has football IQ and reliable hands. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Everyone knows who the first pick is. What happens at 9 is the question. This  is my take and why.

1) Caleb Williams- no brainer

9) trade with LV to 13 and also get pick 77 

13). Trade with Cinn to 20 and get pick 80

20) Chop Robinson / Chop is raw but has speed and off the chart athletics. Played the a                                          true DE position and will only be 21 this year. 6'3" 255 at 4.48 speed

RAS score 9.69

75) Mo Kamara/ edge highly productive , 6'2" 250 at 4.57 speed. Compares to Brandon Graham RAS 8.82

77) Tez Walker/ WR natural playmaker with 4.36 speed. 18 TDs in last 20 games RAS 9.87

80 )Tanor Bortolini / OC   can play center and  guard and future starter. Great athlete. RAS 9.79

122) Tip Reiman/ TE great athlete at 6'5" 275 with 4.64 speed. RAS 9.93

I used the Rich Hill chart for trade value  and draft buzz and GBND report for content.

With limited picks I drafted a rotational WR with speed and upside.

Robinson was the last of the top DEs available in the first round. Chop is young and has a lot of growth to develop. Also played a true DE position. Also drafted Kamara giving more depth . Walker is capable of taking reps at 3 T that helps fill depth at DT.

Bortollini has position flexibility and is a great athlete. May take one to two years but could be our future starting center.

Rieman  is a great blocker that wasn't used much as a receiver. Has football IQ and reliable hands. 

I'd love it if this happened. The problem with fan drafts involving trades is that they seldom happen. We'd like to believe that the team we have lined up a trade with would accept our offer, but the likelihood, ????

Still, the trade scenarios were reasonable and the players selected would be awesome additions to the team. The only change I would have made is to take pick 122 and draft Punter Tory Taylor from Iowa. At 6'4" 234 lbs, the guy is a stud kicker with power. I think his addition would be far more beneficial to the Bears than a blocking TE prospect.

There is a fine-looking crop of Punters this year. I drew one out of the hat, but any of the top-rated Punters will be a big improvement over what we had on ST last year.

Complete 2024 NFL Draft P Rankings

Here's my take at the moment on what the Bears do:

1a) Caleb Williams, QB, USC - Fait Accompli

2a) Rome Odunze, WR, Washington - I think he'll be there and I think they'll take him.  Allen is essentially on a one year deal, Scott is your only other decent receiver, and you want to come out of the draft with someone who can play both outside and in the slot so you can move Allen inside sometimes where he has been really effective in the past.

*Trade - Bears trade their 3rd this year and their own 2nd next year to a team in the late 2nd round for their 2nd, a 4th, and a 5th.*

2) Chris Braswell, DE, Alabama - Poles has been willing to move up when a guy high on his board is still there, and the Bears have an extra 2nd next year from the Carolina trade without a lot of starters up as free agents next year.  My hunch is that when we get near the end of the second, Poles recognizes that they have a screaming need at DE and will have one guy left on his board who is higher on his board than  and will be aggressive to get him.  That could be Braswell, Kneeland, Trice, Isaac, etc.

4a) Mekhi Wingo, DT, LSU - Offers versatility between the 3T the Bears have been searching for and maybe even another body to come off the edge to ramp up the pass rush even further.  He's a team captain and leader with LSU and seems like a guy that would appeal to Poles.

4b) Jalen McMillan, WR, Washington - It's impossible to predict what WRs will drop in a given years (remember some sites had Tyler Scott as a 2nd round pick) but with Velus Jones and Dante Pettis occupying the 5/6 WR spots even with the addition of Rome, and with a young QB and an exceptional WR class, it makes a ton of sense to me to double dip at WR and take the best guy available here.  I'm going with McMillan who can also offer inside/outside versatility and may have been taken much earlier had he had a healthy 2023, but other guys like Javon Baker, Ja'Lynn Polk, or Luke McCaffery could also qualify.

5) Beaux Limmer, OL, Arkansas - I waffled on this pick.  I considered a CB like Elijah Jones because the Bears seem to have brought in a lot of mid-round CBs for visits, but I just don't see the need on the roster with Johnson, Stevenson, Gordon, Smith, Blackwell, and Jones/Stroman.  I thought about Reiman like Stinger did, but with two TEs locked up long term, I'm not sure they need to spend a pick on a blocking TE when you can get a decent one off the street.  I thought about Tory Taylor but I think he might be gone by then.  So I went with Limmer, a big, high RAS interior lineman with a ton of SEC experience.  Poles needs to solve the center position.  Hopefully it's Bates.  Maybe it's Shelton. Perhaps it's even Kramer.  But let's take one more shot at it with a guy who can also play guard since neither Davis or Jenkins were particularly reliable last year.

I am stuck on this scenario. The Bears use Rome Odunze as trade bait and Indy bites. Bears get pick 15 and 44 while still landing a WR prospect that can line up at X and give Caleb a lengthy target.   Round 2, they get a DE with size and arm length who can collapse the edge.  Round 3, at DT prospect to rotate with Dexter. Round 4, G depth that can be a future staple to strong running game.

2025 they can use their 1st on a LT and round 2 get that stud Center and most likely a S.  

PFN_Draft_result_1713106463389.png

2 hours ago, dawhizz said:

Here's my take at the moment on what the Bears do:

1a) Caleb Williams, QB, USC - Fait Accompli

2a) Rome Odunze, WR, Washington - I think he'll be there and I think they'll take him.  Allen is essentially on a one year deal, Scott is your only other decent receiver, and you want to come out of the draft with someone who can play both outside and in the slot so you can move Allen inside sometimes where he has been really effective in the past.

*Trade - Bears trade their 3rd this year and their own 2nd next year to a team in the late 2nd round for their 2nd, a 4th, and a 5th.*

2) Chris Braswell, DE, Alabama - Poles has been willing to move up when a guy high on his board is still there, and the Bears have an extra 2nd next year from the Carolina trade without a lot of starters up as free agents next year.  My hunch is that when we get near the end of the second, Poles recognizes that they have a screaming need at DE and will have one guy left on his board who is higher on his board than  and will be aggressive to get him.  That could be Braswell, Kneeland, Trice, Isaac, etc.

4a) Mekhi Wingo, DT, LSU - Offers versatility between the 3T the Bears have been searching for and maybe even another body to come off the edge to ramp up the pass rush even further.  He's a team captain and leader with LSU and seems like a guy that would appeal to Poles.

4b) Jalen McMillan, WR, Washington - It's impossible to predict what WRs will drop in a given years (remember some sites had Tyler Scott as a 2nd round pick) but with Velus Jones and Dante Pettis occupying the 5/6 WR spots even with the addition of Rome, and with a young QB and an exceptional WR class, it makes a ton of sense to me to double dip at WR and take the best guy available here.  I'm going with McMillan who can also offer inside/outside versatility and may have been taken much earlier had he had a healthy 2023, but other guys like Javon Baker, Ja'Lynn Polk, or Luke McCaffery could also qualify.

5) Beaux Limmer, OL, Arkansas - I waffled on this pick.  I considered a CB like Elijah Jones because the Bears seem to have brought in a lot of mid-round CBs for visits, but I just don't see the need on the roster with Johnson, Stevenson, Gordon, Smith, Blackwell, and Jones/Stroman.  I thought about Reiman like Stinger did, but with two TEs locked up long term, I'm not sure they need to spend a pick on a blocking TE when you c a decent one off the street.  I thought about Tory Taylor but I think he might be gone by then.  So I went with Limmer, a big, high RAS interior lineman with a ton of SEC experience.  Poles needs to solve the center position.  Hopefully it's Bates.  Maybe it's Shelton. Perhaps it's even Kramer.  But let's take one more shot at it with a guy who can also play guard since neither Davis or Jenkins were particularly reliable last year.

Limmer is an athletic center that may be a late round pick to develop. Jason Kelce was a 5 th round pick that developed into a all pro.

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I am stuck on this scenario. The Bears use Rome Odunze as trade bait and Indy bites. Bears get pick 15 and 44 while still landing a WR prospect that can line up at X and give Caleb a lengthy target.   Round 2, they get a DE with size and arm length who can collapse the edge.  Round 3, at DT prospect to rotate with Dexter. Round 4, G depth that can be a future staple to strong running game.

2025 they can use their 1st on a LT and round 2 get that stud Center and most likely a S.  

Robinson would be a good get at 46 . He's been invited to the draft so I'm thinking he may go first round. He definitely fits a Flus DE and could play inside if needed.

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I’d really like this. 

5 minutes ago, killakrzydav said:

Im not taking a punter in the fourth round. That's just crazy talk. I would probably take the BYU punter in the sixth though. 

If we only had 4 picks, of course, it's 'crazy talk.'

In a scenario where multiple trade-downs result in a surplus of picks, I believe it's a strategic move to consider adding a top punter to our special teams. I hold a strong belief that special teams play will be crucial this year, especially with the increased significance of kickoff returns. Mark my words, there will be multiple games where ST play will be the decisive factor in the outcome of the game.

10 minutes ago, killakrzydav said:

Take a look at historical punters and their draft position Pix

You mean like Ray Guy of Oakland drafted #23, round one, in 1973 and played his entire career, 14 seasons, for the Raiders?

LOL - Okay, I understand your point. But if we wound up with let's say 8 picks instead of 4 because of multiple trade downs, and it was a choice between selecting a practice squad player that might a year or two down the road make it to the playing field, or selecting a punter who can, from day one, help us gain better field position, I choose the punter every time.

37 minutes ago, Pixote said:

You mean like Ray Guy of Oakland drafted #23, round one, in 1973 and played his entire career, 14 seasons, for the Raiders?

LOL - Okay, I understand your point. But if we wound up with let's say 8 picks instead of 4 because of multiple trade downs, and it was a choice between selecting a practice squad player that might a year or two down the road make it to the playing field, or selecting a punter who can, from day one, help us gain better field position, I choose the punter every time.

Totally agree what a good punter could do, just don't know the talent  enough to say who and when. 

5 hours ago, Pixote said:

I think the question would be, who else would take him first, and where. If you had a very good feeling his first other suitor would be in round 6, then you can wait until 5 to take him?

1 minute ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think the question would be, who else would take him first, and where. If you had a very good feeling his first other suitor would be in round 6, then you can wait until 5 to take him?

True. But I first responded to a 'what if' draft. He had multiple trade-backs, accumulating extra picks. Therefore, I thought picking a Punter over a player who would probably not contribute this year would be best. The pick, #122, was the last of the picks he had accumulated with the trade downs. It was for that specific scenario that I suggested using it for a punter.

I don't advocate drafting a punter unless we have accumulated extra draft capital. There will always be UDFA punters to bring in for tryouts.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

True. But I first responded to a 'what if' draft. He had multiple trade-backs, accumulating extra picks. Therefore, I thought picking a Punter over a player who would probably not contribute this year would be best. The pick, #122, was the last of the picks he had accumulated with the trade downs. It was for that specific scenario that I suggested using it for a punter.

I don't advocate drafting a punter unless we have accumulated extra draft capital. There will always be UDFA punters to bring in for tryouts.

nah, you're making sense. Im just saying that higher round is generally early for a punter unless they are a phenom. But I dont really disagree with what youve said here at all.

19 hours ago, Pixote said:

or maybe like in 1995 trading trace armstrong a 7-10 sack defensive end for a 2nd and 3rd round pick to miami and then drafting tod saurkraut a freaking punter in the 2nd round and a non descript guard in the 3rd?

brilliant, trade a producing defensive end for a punter and nothing guard. only mikey the genius gm could come up with that.

4 hours ago, Lucky Luciano said:

or maybe like in 1995 trading trace armstrong a 7-10 sack defensive end for a 2nd and 3rd round pick to miami and then drafting tod saurkraut a freaking punter in the 2nd round and a non descript guard in the 3rd?

brilliant, trade a producing defensive end for a punter and nothing guard. only mikey the genius gm could come up with that.

100% - That was vintage Mikey.

On 4/14/2024 at 1:36 PM, Stinger226 said:

Totally agree what a good punter could do, just don't know the talent  enough to say who and when. 

Hell, I didn't realize we already signed a Punter (maybe just another leg for training camp, but who knows?)

Corliss Waitman:

Corliss Waitman's 47-yard punt pins 49ers inside own 1-yard line

Just saw this article on NFL.com. 

I have always thought highly of Charles David as an analyst for NFL.com. He has had success identifying players who are not as well known as the ones getting all of the hype, but wind up being drafted and making rosters.

This article identifies 16 prospects that he thinks could be drafted on day 2 or 3 of the draft. The only one I recognized was QB Rattler. There were several DTs, Edge, OGs, an OT, and a Center that he is high on. Maybe you guys are familiar with some of them.

2024 NFL Draft: Prospects Charles Davis would pound the table for

Thayer had an interesting take on what he wants.  He wants Alt, saying he's a can't miss lockdown left tackle.  He mentioned that teams would line up to trade for Braxton.  There is value in a starting left tackle with only two years in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Thayer had an interesting take on what he wants.  He wants Alt, saying he's a can't miss lockdown left tackle.  He mentioned that teams would line up to trade for Braxton.  There is value in a starting left tackle with only two years in the NFL.

One thought that crosses my mind is what is more important to get, a stud LT, DE, or WR?  This is taking into account that next draft the Bears could be looking at drafting 15-20th and can they get one of the 3 positions next year at that slot. With that thought, I hate to say it but Alt would have to be deeply considered. Yes, they have Braxton but saying they shouldn't shoot for a top 3-5 LT to pair with Wright and make the line one of the best is like saying QB wasn't a need with JF.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Olin Kreutz  said the same thing about having the chance to get a top 5 OT, you take it. I would normally push OL, but Braxton has progressed enough to think he's a top 12 LT. Not a great difference from top 5 to top 12 to not take advantage of the blue chip edge or WR. Thinking long term, that would be smart but I think we are in the window to win now and edge would be more valuable now.