* - - Official 2024 Draft Day Thread - - *

adam

26 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

exactly right - this draft and next years draft are both aiming at the 2025 season, one where our stud QB isnt a rookie, and where we can fill the final missing pieces including another pass rusher.

The window for us to seriously contend for a superbowl opens in 2025, although I wouldnt put a ceiling on what this team is capable of this year either. But its a PLAN for 2025.

This is well said - I would be shocked if they like Van Pratt if they move up - maybe Borom and our 4th to move up a few or a next year 5th or 6th to move up 5-10 spots. 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Poles has a plan if he doesn't get help in the DL, he will bring in a vet. There will be a round of cuts to choose from. Do not underestimate players on the team getting better. I was curious when he said players are going to have a hard time making this roster. To me that means he likes some backups we aren't thinking about.

I agree - I see him getting another dline or two on one year deals - whether 2nd wave of free agency or post draft cut. 

43 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I agree - I see him getting another dline or two on one year deals - whether 2nd wave of free agency or post draft cut. 

I expect this too, but doubtful it will be a blue chip player, at least until the trade deadline in the middle of the season

8 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I expect this too, but doubtful it will be a blue chip player, at least until the trade deadline in the middle of the season

I think they are going to have to live with that this year and than next offseason they can address it - whether via free agency, the draft or both. Back to your point - they are focused on building a culture and continuing to develop roster while also putting Caleb in a great spot to develop. I think if all goes right they can make a run at 10 games - but let’s get it right and than add another wave of talent next year (maybe even a trade acquisition).

43 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I think they are going to have to live with that this year and than next offseason they can address it - whether via free agency, the draft or both. Back to your point - they are focused on building a culture and continuing to develop roster while also putting Caleb in a great spot to develop. I think if all goes right they can make a run at 10 games - but let’s get it right and than add another wave of talent next year (maybe even a trade acquisition).

thats how it feels to me too, but maybe we'll get lucky and someone will get cut, or they'll really need Larry Borom lol

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Keep in mind we brought in a DL guru that may get more out of our existing roster. I expect Dexter and Pickens to be improved. Billings and he brought in Cowart right away so he must see some potential from him. Walker plays inside also. On the outside you have Sweat and Walker plus Jacob Martin, Daniel Hardy, Khalid Kareem. With Dom Robinson, maybe Eric Washington can get one to be viable. He will bring another one in. All is not lost. 

Bears pick at 122, so 21 picks before the Bears last pick, unless they trade down. Here are the top rated according to NFL.com and PFF (bold players are rated higher than 122 and on both lists):

Top Rated Remaining:

Jaden Hicks - S (#4 PFF)(#78 NFL)
JaTavion Sanders - TE (#2 PFF)(#70 NFL)
Brandon Dorlus - DT (#5 PFF)(#65 NFL)

Xavier Thomas - Edge (#13 PFF)(#137 NFL)
Austin Booker - Edge (#15 PFF)(#108 NFL)
Javon Solomon - Edge (#17 PFF)(#117 NFL)
Dadrion Taylor-Demerson - S (#19 PFF)(#132 NFL)
Sedrick Van Pran - C (#23 PFF)(#102 NFL)
Cade Stover - TE (#25 PFF)(#124 NFL)

Others:
Mohamed Kamara - Edge (#71 NFL)
Theo Johnson - TE (#82 NFL)
Jared Wiley - TE (#83 NFL)
Hunter Nourzad - G (#109 NFL)
Mekhi Wingo - DT (#116 NFL)
Malik Mustapha - S (#133 NFL)
Tanor Bortolini - C (#139 NFL)
Gabriel Murphy - Edge (#146 NFL)

Others not-rated:
Beaux Limmer - C
Fabien Lovett Sr - DT

4 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Where did you get your list? The three I look at had Mo Kamara rated higher than everyone but Dorlus. If he can trade back and get one of those centers and Kamara, I would be a happy camper.

NFL.com from Daniel Jeremiah here: https://www.nfl.com/news/best-prospects-available-in-the-2024-nfl-draft

and PFF here: https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-best-available-prospects

6 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Where did you get your list? The three I look at had Mo Kamara rated higher than everyone but Dorlus. If he can trade back and get one of those centers and Kamara, I would be a happy camper.

I think that is possible if there is a trade partner.

Guys who came in for Top 30 visits that are still on the board (since all three picks so far also had top 30 visits):

• RB Dylan Laube (New Hampshire)
• WR Jha’Quan Jackson (Tulane)
• CB Nehemiah Pritchett (Auburn)
• EDGE Austin Booker (Kansas)
• CB Cam Hart (Notre Dame)
• LB Bryce Gallagher (NW)
• S Dadrion Taylor-Demerson (Texas Tech)

I have to believe Flus gets one defensive pick before all’s said and done. Booker is interesting to me because he has the kind of size Poles gravitates to, but his RAS was pretty average. 

12 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Guys who came in for Top 30 visits that are still on the board (since all three picks so far also had top 30 visits):

• RB Dylan Laube (New Hampshire)
• WR Jha’Quan Jackson (Tulane)
• CB Nehemiah Pritchett (Auburn)
• EDGE Austin Booker (Kansas)
• CB Cam Hart (Notre Dame)
• LB Bryce Gallagher (NW)
• S Dadrion Taylor-Demerson (Texas Tech)

I have to believe Flus gets one defensive pick before all’s said and done. Booker is interesting to me because he has the kind of size Poles gravitates to, but his RAS was pretty average. 

Out of that list, Booker would be my pick.

However, I also love the idea of drafting Mo Kamara.

My shot in the dark guess is Brennan Jackson, DE from Washington State. Good RAS. A little on the older side but good production and team captain. Very similar to Bralen Trice who they looked at in the third. 

Bears don’t have their 7th next year but have their own 6th, plus Miami’s 6th and the conditional 6th from Pittsburgh even if we don’t trade down from 122 I wouldn’t be surprised if one of those picks isn’t used to go get a guy in the late 6th/7th. 

2 minutes ago, adam said:

Hard to see the logic there when a punter plays only 5 to 6 plays a game. 

I would've went with an Edge like Booker there.

I am not a fan on taking a punter with other needs at DE/DT.  I didn't think they will need to punt with all these weapons too, lol.   Maybe Poles trades back in and gets one.  But, if he is supposed to be one of the best and he can pin them deep, it will help win games.

1 minute ago, adam said:

However he will be an upgrade over Gill.

I can only assume that Poles agreed that the prospects in the later rounds of this draft were not very inspiring. LOL Without any EDGE or 3T he felt comfortable with, he went with the top Punter in the draft. I know many of you will be disappointed, but it is actually a guy I wanted on our team.

6 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I can only assume that Poles agreed that the prospects in the later rounds of this draft were not very inspiring. LOL Without any EDGE or 3T he felt comfortable with, he went with the top Punter in the draft. I know many of you will be disappointed, but it is actually a guy I wanted on our team.

Not disappointed but shocked 

4 minutes ago, Pixote said:

i agree. we got a starting quality player in the 4th. normally i wouldn't pick one that high but we are getting to the point where our roster is full and a pick this far down ends up on the practice squad or cut especially if they have an eye on some future cuts/free agents.

a punter is a really important part of your defense per se'. if this guy kills it it was worth it this particular year. next year we are fat with picks so something has to give for our roster then.

• adam unfeatured and unpinned this topic