What Would You Have Done?

Mongo3451

Looking back at free agency and the draft we have seen so many moves.  What do you love and what would you have done differently?

D'Andre Swift=love

Jaylon=love

Brett Rypien= ok

Matt Pryor=ok

Gerald Everett=good

Kevin Byard=good

Jonathan Owens= ok

Ogbingbemiga=ok

Coleman Shelton=ok

Scales=ok

Draft: 

Williams=love

Odunze=love 

Kiran=impressed

Taylor=hate. (Would have much rather had Cade Stover or Van Pran 

Booker=ok, but he's going to him or bust 

Trades: 

Keenan=love. Just what Caleb needs

Bates: 3X hate. Could have signed better without losing a fifth round pick.  Van Pran with that pick.

Overall, I love what Poles has done.  I'm also excited to see the punter I hate, because he is the dude.  My only complaint is center and I pray I'm wrong...

I would have liked a better option at Center, that is my only gripe right now. I am assuming they will bring in a vet Edge and DT to fill out the rotation on defense. The only position I don't like is Center with Bates/Shelton. The only saving grace is Shelton started the entire year for the Rams, so at least we know the floor.

2 minutes ago, adam said:

I would have liked a better option at Center, that is my only gripe right now. I am assuming they will bring in a vet Edge and DT to fill out the rotation on defense. The only position I don't like is Center with Bates/Shelton. The only saving grace is Shelton started the entire year for the Rams, so at least we know the floor.

However, I hope I am wrong, but I believe I read Shelton led the NFL Centers in QB pressures given up last year. 

So, if I am correct, the floor for Shelton is very low.

I have more faith in Bates. It's obvious to me that there is something he likes about Bates. He was the very first FA he went after when hired and revisited again after he lost out the first time. He must feel there is something there that we are missing.

These are not the top options we signed but the top 4 got money . The lowest rated of the four was Aaron Brewer and he got 3 year 21 mil. Chusenberry is getting 12.5 mil a year.  Since we only have about 6 mil left in the cap, Poles allicated the money at other spots. He took two questionable options that wasnt gettting money contracts. It definitely an upgrade but we will see if it was enough. I think Bates will end up the starter and at least we have an experienced vet as a backup.

25 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

There's different ways to slaughter that hog if it's important enough.

Poles is clearly a smart man, but has had a few fails along the way,  he thinks Bates is good enough. I will trust his judgement until he fails again. I dont think he is ignoring the position. 

Finding a better option at Center is still at the top of my list.  Regardless of all the other talk about pick this guy or that guy, the reality is Caleb appears to be happy to be in Chicago and it wasn't clear to me early on that would be the case.  I can't argue with Odunze either. 

I also realize pairing a rookie QB with a rookie C is a really bad idea.  After Fields was cut and it was clear we were all Caleb or nothing pinning my hopes that we'd get one of the top two or three prospects at C was fantasy.   But we could we have at least had a Day 3 prospect in the chute instead of a punter.   This punter better be eye opening good.   Bates needs to be sufficient at C and Waldron needs to be better at play calling than what we've had to endure recently.   Williams needs to play on time for the most part and we should be ok.    

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Finding a better option at Center is still at the top of my list.  Regardless of all the other talk about pick this guy or that guy, the reality is Caleb appears to be happy to be in Chicago and it wasn't clear to me early on that would be the case.  I can't argue with Odunze either. 

I also realize pairing a rookie QB with a rookie C is a really bad idea.  After Fields was cut and it was clear we were all Caleb or nothing pinning my hopes that we'd get one of the top two or three prospects at C was fantasy.   But we could we have at least had a Day 3 prospect in the chute instead of a punter.   This punter better be eye opening good.   Bates needs to be sufficient at C and Waldron needs to be better at play calling than what we've had to endure recently.   Williams needs to play on time for the most part and we should be ok.    

Williams has yet to prove himself but if he is as advertized , he gets the ball out quick and will make the OL  look better. With the limited picks and taking Rome at 9, we werent getting a rookie starter at center. I would have liked a prospect like you but an all pro type punter will help win a couple of games. We had the worst play at the center in the league last year, an average center will look like a pro bowler compared to last year.