Who so you want to play in the first game?

Stinger226

I guess its who you think the NFL wants as the first game. We will be better latter in the year so I would rather we play our division games later. 

I think if they have the top two QBs drafted play  on Monday night. They could sell the new QBs to the nation.

I was going to post something similar.  My thought was, what will be best for Caleb's growth as a player?

We could play a scrub team, but how would it feel if Caleb had a terrible game?  Then, there's the opposite end of the spectrum if we play a good team and he plays well. 

At the end of the day, I want what is psychologically best for Caleb.  

I'd love to have him against an easier opponent. I say easier because of the old saying, On any given Sunday. You never know from one year to the next, or from one week to the next, what to expect.

Washington's pass defense gave up the most yards (4627) and TDs (39) of any team in 2023.

With them (I assume) starting Daniels at QB, bring him to Chicago for a reunion of the top 2 QBs drafted.

Ooops, I just realized we play them in an away game. LOL - Still, let them open the season in Washington.

39 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I was going to post something similar.  My thought was, what will be best for Caleb's growth as a player?

We could play a scrub team, but how would it feel if Caleb had a terrible game?  Then, there's the opposite end of the spectrum if we play a good team and he plays well. 

At the end of the day, I want what is psychologically best for Caleb.  

I agree, and I personally dont know what that is, so Ill leave that to Poles and Waldron, and trust them to make the right decision. There is "common wisdom" going both ways so...

But if I had to guess, I say they put Caleb in right away if they play any starters at all.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

I agree, and I personally dont know what that is, so Ill leave that to Poles and Waldron, and trust them to make the right decision. There is "common wisdom" going both ways so...

But if I had to guess, I say they put Caleb in right away if they play any starters at all.

He's going to start but may limit his playbook to start the year and run the ball more.

49 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

He's going to start but may limit his playbook to start the year and run the ball more.

usually when teams play the HOF game, they either dont play their starters at all, and use it as an opportunity to look at the bottom half of the 80 guys to see who theyre gonna cut, or sometimes in the first preseason game (HOF or no) the starters may play 1 series, 2 at the most. So I dont expect Williams to be out there much if at all. If they put the starters out there for a series, then I guess Caleb will be out there too, but if they dont play any starters, then Williams stays off the field of course without his OL.

I don't see him playing a quarter of football for example, and ditto for all the starters.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

usually when teams play the HOF game, they either dont play their starters at all, and use it as an opportunity to look at the bottom half of the 80 guys to see who theyre gonna cut, or sometimes in the first preseason game (HOF or no) the starters may play 1 series, 2 at the most. So I dont expect Williams to be out there much if at all. If they put the starters out there for a series, then I guess Caleb will be out there too, but if they dont play any starters, then Williams stays off the field of course without his OL.

I don't see him playing a quarter of football for example, and ditto for all the starters.

I believe the title means what team do you want to play first ( season opener) since the topic today was the release of the NFL schedule.  

Seems like many on the radio wanted the Vikings.

15 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I believe the title means  what team do you want go play first ( season opener) since the topic today was the release of the NFL schedule.  

oops! thanks. I thought he meant the first preseason game. My bad.

Then yes, Caleb should start right from the first game i think. We have to allow him some leeway I think to make mistakes during the first half of the season, but we should see a lot of greatness too, and consistency should come pretty fast and build.

But yeah, with this roster, I'd start him right away. ANd give him all the QB1 snaps in preseason and practice as a result too.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

oops! thanks. I thought he meant the first preseason game. My bad.

Then yes, Caleb should start right from the first game i think. We have to allow him some leeway I think to make mistakes during the first half of the season, but we should see a lot of greatness too, and consistency should come pretty fast and build.

But yeah, with this roster, I'd start him right away. ANd give him all the QB1 snaps in preseason and practice as a result too.

It seems like the Bears intentions are to play Caleb right away based off the roster.  My guess is they bring in a more proven vet if he has any setbacks like an injury or for some reason struggles.  I don't think they have to worry about him struggling though. 

As for game 1, I hope the NFL gives him a cushion.  Those opener GB games show how unprepared the Bears are and the loss seems to hurt them from growing.

12 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

As for game 1, I hope the NFL gives him a cushion.  Those opener GB games show how unprepared the Bears are and the loss seems to hurt them from growing.

Yeah, and that's part coaching and part the ability of the QB to operate the offense. But we have looked VERY unprepared on opening day too many times.

We can lose the first game with a rookie QB, but wed better not look like we dont know whats going on (again).

From a press clip before rookie camp began.

As part of their plan for Williams’ development, the Bears named him as their starting quarterback before he even threw a pass in practice. 

“No conversation,” Matt Eberflus said. “He’s the starter.” 

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

From a press clip before rookie camp began.

As part of their plan for Williams’ development, the Bears named him as their starting quarterback before he even threw a pass in practice. 

“No conversation,” Matt Eberflus said. “He’s the starter.” 

well, theres the answer then.

10 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I believe the title means what team do you want to play first ( season opener) since the topic today was the release of the NFL schedule.  

So you think the  Vikings should be the first team? I prefer non division teams for less importance if we might lose. As well as we look like a much better team it may take a few games to get up to speed.

6 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

So you think the  Vikings should be the first team? I prefer non division teams for less importance if we might lose. As well as we look like a much better team it may take a few games to get up to speed.

My opinion is no Packers.  The Vikings were mentioned by the Score guys.  Caleb would see a ton of pressure though, so it might not be best to play one if not the top blitzing team if fans got to choose.  My choice, Commanders, Colts, Patriots, Panthers or Seahawks.  Save the Cardinals for a winter treat to warm up.

HOME

• Detroit Lions
  • Green Bay Packers
  • Minnesota Vikings
  • Los Angeles Rams
  • Seattle Seahawks
  • Jacksonville Jaguars
  • Tennessee Titans
  • Carolina Panthers
  • New England Patriots

AWAY

• Detroit Lions
  • Green Bay Packers
  • Minnesota Vikings
  • Arizona Cardinals
  • San Francisco 49ers
  • Houston Texans
  • Indianapolis Colts
  • Washington Commanders

4 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

My opinion is no Packers.  The Vikings were mentioned by the Score guys.  Caleb would see a ton of pressure though, so it might not be best to play one if not the top blitzing team if fans got to choose.  My choice, Commanders, Colts, Patriots, Panthers or Seahawks.  Save the Cardinals for a winter treat to warm up.

HOME

• Detroit Lions
  • Green Bay Packers
  • Minnesota Vikings
  • Los Angeles Rams
  • Seattle Seahawks
  • Jacksonville Jaguars
  • Tennessee Titans
  • Carolina Panthers
  • New England Patriots

AWAY

• Detroit Lions
  • Green Bay Packers
  • Minnesota Vikings
  • Arizona Cardinals
  • San Francisco 49ers
  • Houston Texans
  • Indianapolis Colts
  • Washington Commanders

Thanks for the list.  I'll take a home game against Titans, Patriots or Panthers...

I think playing Washington on the road would be a good option. Not very good, getting away would get away from the fanfare of the first game. Its going to be crszy with expectations. Our defense is nearly complete and should start strong, it will take some time for the offense to get up to speed, Of the teams mentioned, Washington was the worst rushing defense (5th ) and we will come out running.

30 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I think playing Washington on the road would be a good option. Not very good, getting away would get away from the fanfare of the first game. Its going to be crszy with expectations. Our defense is nearly complete and should start strong, it will take some time for the offense to get up to speed, Of the teams mentioned, Washington was the worst rushing defense (5th ) and we will come out running.

You may be on to something.  My experience at Soldier Field has been very negative.  Jackass fans would probably boo Caleb on the first three and out.  I think Bears fans are extremely loyal, but probably the least positive in the league.

4 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

You may be on to something.  My experience at Soldier Field has been very negative.  Jackass fans would probably boo Caleb on the first three and out.  I think Bears fans are extremely loyal, but probably the least positive in the league.

I think when the boo birds come out, it is more on the play selections lately. I can't think of a player they would have booed.  I remember Urlacher being upset when fans booed, which was probably poor oline and play calls.  

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think when the boo birds come out, it is more on the play selections lately. I can't think of a player they would have booed.  I remember Urlacher being upset when fans booed, which was probably poor oline and play calls.  

Last time we were there, it was against the chargers.  Mitch was QB and drove us to a last second game winning field goal attempt.  The guys behind were all negative, saying Parkey was going to blow the 40 yarder.  It pissed me off because we spent a lot of money to be on the fifth row and we didn't wanna hear that crap.  Parkey doinked it off the upright and I wanted to kill those people.  They weren't the only ones.  If you go to GB or Indy, the fans are never like that.