Did anyone notice?

Stinger226

I like looking at Bear content in the media but there is so many new contributers I get lost. I seen this one and clicked on it and he cant even pronounce Rome's name correctly. I think it might be over saturated now. I always liked Hoge and Jahns-NBC Sports-CHGO and newer people like Swift Sports Network-Adam Mason-Just Another Year Bears but with all the national attention, its getting out of hand. Wait until we win a SB

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I like looking at Bear content in the media but there is so many new contributers I get lost. I seen this one and clicked on it and he cant even pronounce Rome's name correctly. I think it might be over saturated now. I always liked Hoge and Jahns-NBC Sports-CHGO and newer people like Swift Sports Network-Adam Mason-Just Another Year Bears but with all the national attention, its getting out of hand. Wait until we win a SB

All the signs are there for a breakout year, but it is still on paper. Injuries are going to be the most important thing. Then obviously the play of Caleb, the O-Line and the D-Line. The Bears, just like other teams, need a little luck, or most things to go right to have a great year. I think what most see that now that the QB position may not be the limiting factor, the sky is the limit. I still think they are a year away, but nothing is stopping them from having a Texans type of season with a playoff win.

The crazy part for me is, if the Bears lose, I can almost guarantee you it is because the defense allowed 28+, not because the offense couldn't score 20. The Bears will be undefeated when the defense holds opponents under 20. 

6 hours ago, adam said:

The crazy part for me is, if the Bears lose, I can almost guarantee you it is because the defense allowed 28+, not because the offense couldn't score 20. The Bears will be undefeated when the defense holds opponents under 20. 

The D shouldn’t be worse this year with a pass rush for the entire season.  That said, Flus’ decision making skills are in question and if he pisses away two games again this year, HE GONE.  

2 hours ago, CrackerDog said:

The D shouldn’t be worse this year with a pass rush for the entire season.  That said, Flus’ decision making skills are in question and if he pisses away two games again this year, HE GONE.  

for sure, and if Waldron is good, he becomes head coach, which would be great.

We praise Poles for making good decisions with the draft and in FA.  Yes its not a perfect record and many people think Flus isnt a good coach. He choose to keep Flus, why? To establ;ish a consistent winner you cant change coaches every two years or 3 years , its constant turmoil for a team. We lost a lot of games the last two years, but you cant completely change a roster and expect to have a winning team. Poor cap space and no first rounf pick his first year effected our record. After our 3rd draft we now see a light on the horizon.  I think you have to give a coach cudos when he keeps a team together thru lots of losing. People think we need an offensive coach to suceed, but forget so easily Nagy was an offensive coach. How did that turn out. 

This year Flus will show his worth as wins start to show up. Did he make all the right calls? Of course not. Stefanski of Cleveland won coach of the year and did we see him make perfect ingame decisions? NOPE. Its a process and now that Poles has rebuilt the roster we can finnally see us have a winning record. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

To establ;ish a consistent winner you cant change coaches every two years or 3 years , its constant turmoil for a team. We lost a lot of games the last two years, but you cant completely change a roster and expect to have a winning team.

This part is very important to a rebuild. Flus is building himself as well.  He may have not been fully ready to be a HC, but what guy was going to come in and endure the rebuild?  The in-game decisions will be much faster for him this year, not having to deal with Alan Williams stuff and also with the game slowing down, as it also does with players.  If Flus is here three more years, it's a really good sign.

I agree with you guys. Keeping Flus was the right move. 

We expect Williams to be a future GOAT. I say future because he has a lot to learn. The transition from NCAA to NFL isn't easy nor a given. What we need to see this year are two things. Continued development into the powerhouse franchise QB we have all been waiting for. That is obvious. But in the process, he has to win over the team. Leadership skills. Can he motivate his teammates to match his intensity, maximize their skill sets, and become winners?

I say this because the same can be said for Flus. Coaches are no different from players. The transition from an NFL DC to the head coach of a storied franchise isn't easy or given. While he develops as a head coach, he must also rely on his leadership skills. Taking a team that was (I hate to say it) garbage and bottom feeder and keeping the players motivated through a long rebuild takes unique skills. That he has already proven capable of.

I understand the generalized comments about growing in experience etc, but the unforced errors that Eberflus made that lost us 3 games last year were not complicated decisions. They were things that even high school football coaches know better than to do.

I do think that with the staff around Eberflus we will be fine, and Flus should not prevent us from winning, but at the same time we have lost the opportunity to put in a head coach that can give us an active edge in winning. At best Eberflus is neutral to the team.

I also think that Poles didnt want to lose the locker room. Moving on from Fields was a big move, and he probably wanted to keep Flus so that he didnt lose the defense.

I dont know that Flus can or will do anything so bad that he would get fired at this point. He's like Ringo in the Beatles - extremely lucky to be where he is, and he's going to get brought along for the ride.

But if Waldron is offered head coaching jobs next year or the year after because he has done a stellar job with the offense, I think it would be fair to say that it would be better to keep Waldron as head coach than to keep Eberflus and lose Waldron. Unfortunately, there's no real way to do that without a smoking gun against Eberflus, which I dont expect.

So we are where we are, and I think this team can go far in the next few years, even with Eberflus. But in a hypothetical purely logical world, where players dont have emotions, he would not still be head coach. But we live in the real world of human beings, and the situation has evolved as it has. Eberflus is going to possibly win multiple super bowls and all the coaching accolades that go along with that, but it wont be because of his skills. We can hope that it wont be in spite of them.

3 hours ago, Pixote said:

I agree with you guys. Keeping Flus was the right move. 

I agree too. For now.  We’ll see this year if Waldron overcomes Flus conservative decisions when the game is on the line.  I’d rather die swinging for the fences than pussy out.  

55 minutes ago, CrackerDog said:

I agree too. For now.  We’ll see this year if Waldron overcomes Flus conservative decisions when the game is on the line.  I’d rather die swinging for the fences than pussy out.  

agree. I assume that there are enough good voices around Eberflus now to moderate that stuff, and maybe Flus himself would be less conservative with an improved roster anyway.

My beef with him is less the mistakes that he's already made, and hopefully won't repeat, but instead whether he gives an active edge in winning or is just a good caretaker and organizer of the team.

Either way, we have a ton of great coaches and position coaches and a good roster and we should be able to win. I dont see Eberflus holding us back per se, but if the time comes that Waldron is getting HC offers because he was good here for us, Id rather promote him and lose Flus, than to keep Flus and lose Waldron, but in the real world, without a smoking gun like more close losses because of HC decisions, I dont see how you can realistically do that.

On 5/21/2024 at 3:11 PM, Stinger226 said:

I respect your opinion that I disagree with, lucky for me the most important person in the organisation doesnt agree with you.

so far. but of course we are both entitled to our opinions about it. the good news is that even with my negative opinion about Flus, i STILL think there is enough talent on the roster and with the other coaches to succeed!