Mike Martz for OC?

adam

From Rotoworld:

The Los Angeles Times reports that Mike Martz will be fired by the Lions Sunday, and that the 49ers are expected to quickly pursue him.

Martz has always been a great offense guy. Would there be any shot at the Bears getting him? Would we want him?

Did he and Lovie get along in STL?

I am totally confused here. Why would Detroit fire Martz? It would seem the Lions are progressing. It is their defense that sucks wads. With their starting RB injured just about the entire year they did look good on offense.

I am sure Martz & Lovie were on very good terms in STL. Would Martz want to come to this team would be the question. To fix our offense would be a heck of a challenge!

I am totally confused here. Why would Detroit fire Martz? It would seem the Lions are progressing. It is their defense that sucks wads. With their starting RB injured just about the entire year they did look good on offense.

I am sure Martz & Lovie were on very good terms in STL. Would Martz want to come to this team would be the question. To fix our offense would be a heck of a challenge!

I'm not confused. I really doubt the story, but it would just show how inept Millen is and how the Lions will stay in the hole that much longer. And yes, I'd say go after him. But you just know they'll dilly and ally and the 49ers will grab him to help Nolan out.

We'd sure find out what out recievers were capable of if this happened. You think Berrian and Bradley would be happy?

Martz would be an excellent move. It'll never happen.

How can you say that when Martz hasnt been able to maximize three first round top ten Wide reciever picks as it is? Why are Berrian and Bradley going to succeed when Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams havent even been able to scratch the surface of thier own potential? And add to that the fact that the Lions are at the bottom of the league in rushing and interceptions, I dont see how Martz would be someone that would interest the bears at all given their current deficiencies in running and problems with interceptions as it is.

How can you say that when Martz hasnt been able to maximize three first round top ten Wide reciever picks as it is? Why are Berrian and Bradley going to succeed when Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams havent even been able to scratch the surface of thier own potential? And add to that the fact that the Lions are at the bottom of the league in rushing and interceptions, I dont see how Martz would be someone that would interest the bears at all given their current deficiencies in running and problems with interceptions as it is.

I would add that the Bears currently do not have the pieces in place to run the 'greatest show on turf' offense that Martz would bring.

Peace :bears

I would add that the Bears currently do not have the pieces in place to run the 'greatest show on turf' offense that Martz would bring.

The piece that Martz needs to become a genius again is a healthy Marshall Faulk. That is the one cog that Martz will never have again, and he will probably never be able to run the greatest show on turf again because he doesnt have a RB who can also lineup as a WR and block like a lineman like Faulk could.

All I know is Kitna has averaged 4,000 yards and 19 TD's over the last two years. KITNA! He must've been throwing the ball to someone.

Sorry pal but WE are worse tha Det at running the ball, look it up and since when is it Martz's fault that the Lions suck at INTs? Detroit has the 8th best passing team in the NFL. You might want to re-evaluate your thoughts.

All I know is Kitna has averaged 4,000 yards and 19 TD's over the last two years. KITNA! He must've been throwing the ball to someone.

Well, KITNA! has also averaged 19 interceptions in the last two years as well, so he does plenty of throwing the ball around. Who cares? Nothing they are doing offensively has transformed this team into a contender

Sorry pal but WE are worse tha Det at running the ball, look it up and since when is it Martz's fault that the Lions suck at INTs? Detroit has the 8th best passing team in the NFL. You might want to re-evaluate your thoughts.

Who cares that the Lions suck at INTs? Did it ever occur to you that some of those INTs are directly related to the fact that the Lions throw too much and dont run the ball enough? Martz has more than one time buried Kevin jones on the bench and completely neglected the run game altogether, which is pretty much what got him fired in St Louis.

The OC calls the plays, he is responsible for the results, go ahead and evaluate that.

I would stand by my thoughts that the Bears do not have the pieces in place for Martz to be successful here. The Bears would need a big time revamp personnel wise to support his scheme.

As much as I would love to see us change OC, I have my doubts he will leave unless Turner himself resigns to take a position elsewhere in the NFL or College.

I wasn't happy with some of the play calling. However, if the offense had been able to execute better (ie block pass rushers giving QB & WRs time to do their jobs, open holes for RBs) we probably would not be near as unhappy with Turner or the Offense in general.

I will go as far as saying that despite all the injuries on D, if our OL had played up to the level it did in the past few years, we would be in the playoffs THIS YEAR.

We tried the Air Coryell offense back with Terry Shea... anyone wanna tell me how that worked out?

It's very true that the same offense didn't work under Terry Shea. That being said, I don't think that anyone would put them on the same level either.

THAT being said, I think there are 2 main reasons that Martz would never come here: 1. We are a defensive team first and he'd never have the control he wants over the offense in this environment and 2. We don't play in a dome. I don't think that the lack of a dome can be underestimated for that offense. Sure, it worked well in KC for awhile and they play outdoors, but I don't think they get the wind in KC like we do here that would render the offense pretty useless at the end of the season. His offense is really driven by deep timing patterns which are less likely to work even with a 10 mph wind.

I read all kinds of posts from many people suggesting that Martz is a 'great' OC. He did a great job in STL with incredible players and put up gaudy stats. However, I would question whether he's that good in all situations. Even in 2003 when the Rams were 12-4, Faulk only had 818 yards rushing.

Anyway, it's a moot point because Turner isn't likely to be going anywhere. When Angelo mentions to the media that his input will be involved in offseason decisions about the offense, it's a pretty good bet that the team isn't planning on him going anywhere.

the only positive of keeping Turner would be that there wouldn't be a new system to learn... however, we should bring in some young offensive mind who is too young to be an OC but can be an assistant, sort of like Josh McDaniels who was an assistant for the Pats back when he was just 24 years old.