Lovie says in his press conference

Connorbear

I'm sure Angelo and Lovie have already talked about this. As soon as the season was over (ie, when the team was eliminated), the front office and coaching staff had to begin planning for next season and my guess is they had an idea a week ago of whether Ron would be gone or not.

They've obviously decided to keep him and I'm going to hope that the move pays off. The Bears definitely need to upgrade the line and potentially the skill positions on offense and I'm going to be interested in seeing how they go about that this off-season.

One advantage of sticking with Turner and retooling the offense is that we do not have to go through a year or two adjusting to a new playbook and scheme.

Let's hope that with a better OL things will swing around for our offense. I would be happy with a team rated in the 10-15 range and a healthy defense. With that we would be dominate.

So in other words, he had nothing new to say, LOL.

Does he ever? When was the last time we had a coach who would answer questions directly and give you the sense that you knew more than you did before he was asked the question? Our coaches tend to make you feel less informed having listened to them talk. (ie. the more they talk the less we know). The one thing about Chicago is there is always a thick layer of secrecy. They're trying to avoid feeding rumors but what happens is their lack of honest and complete answers is only fuel for rumors. I haven't bothered listening to the coaches press conferences for a while now. Reading between the lines and guessing what they actually mean seems like a waste of time. For once it would be nice if our coaching staff were straight forward. Obviously, some things cannot be devulged and some things are stricktly said to the team only. Reporters don't always help because they tend to ask the same stupid questions over and over. Could be why they get the answers they do.

As far as Turner and their decision to keep him. One thing to concider is that last season our offense was decent, not great, but decent. Turner did a good job last year as coordinator on a whole. Some key changes happened from last year to this year:

1. Jones gone - Jones was a leader in the huddle and in the locker room. He was a workout freak and worked very hard at all times. If nothing else he lead by example and that kind of leadership was a key.
  2. Offensive Line - a year older, a step slower. I'm going to venture that there was more to the decline of the O-Line than just age. They didn't seem in sync at all. Collectively they were having a bad season. I'm old school in that everything begins in the trenches. If you don't control the line of scrimmage you'll have trouble in the other phases of the game. The past few weeks the O-Line has looked more cohesive. Each and everyone on that line needs to be evaluated and they need to figure out how much of the solution may be on the current roster and what can be fixed in the draft and or FA. Fix the O-Line and I have a feeling things improve rather quickly.
  3. Timing and execution of a play is key. With out that it really doesn't matter what play is called. Recievers need to run their routes, Qb needs to make his progressions, and blockers need to make their blocks, backs need holes to run through. None of these things can happen properly if the Line doesn't do it's job. Sometimes it's easy to point fingers at the skill players, not that they are without fault, but we often instinctively say, change the QB, change the RB, Change the WRs. it takes all 11 to execute a play and if the line doesn't do it's job the skill players will have a difficult time doing theirs. Consequently they look bad, and often times worse than they really are.
  4. Overall effort, this year when things started to go south the team seemed to give up there just wasn't the same fire they had last year. They struggled to find an identity and find some continuity. This is the first year in a long time where a lot of the games were hard to watch because the effort didn't seem to be there. Some of that could be let down from the Super Bowl loss carrying over to this year. The defensive players even admited that having watched some of the practice film from last season there was a remarkable difference in the intensity. The defense got complacent. The offense struggled to find it's rythem. With 3 games remaining the team was starting to show signs of regaining that rythem and intensity. The last two games were the most complete games of the season. I saw a team that came out firing and played hard. They looked like last years team.

I'm not real sure it would have mattered who the OC was this season. That doesn't mean that I approve of the game plans he's put together this season. But, I can see why it would be difficult to put together a good game plan when execution is inconsistant and at any one point you don't know what you'll actually get out of your players. A rash of drops by the WR, lack of success in the run game, would make it tough for any Coordinator to be successful. You could have the most brilliant OC but if the players dont' execute it doesn't matter.

I'm not real sure it would have mattered who the OC was this season. That doesn't mean that I approve of the game plans he's put together this season. But, I can see why it would be difficult to put together a good game plan when execution is inconsistant and at any one point you don't know what you'll actually get out of your players. A rash of drops by the WR, lack of success in the run game, would make it tough for any Coordinator to be successful. You could have the most brilliant OC but if the players dont' execute it doesn't matter.

Pretty good summary of the reasons why they'll bring Turner back. All those excuses allow everyone to cover their butts and hopefully move on to improving the team through new assistant coaches and a shot of new talent on the field.

I listened to the live press conference on 670 just a couple of minutes ago. It seems like Lovie wants both Alex Brown and Briggs back. All the coaches will likely be brought back (but one or two will be fired as scapegoats). Him talking up Hester to be a no. 1 makes me think they are going to let Berrian go (which is stupid, IMO).

Oh yeah, he said he likes the core of the offensive line, and I think Brown will be brought back. Miller is pretty much gone, IMO, and I see them keeping Garza but also bringing in someone in the 3rd or 4th round to add some competition. Also, he said they want Grossman back but he sees stability at QB happening eventually in the future (me thinks a draft pick on the 1st day with QB).

And Berrian was talking to 670thescore, and he said he wants to stay a bear, and money isn't the most important thing, he wants to know what his role will be and how they will address the QB situation as well.

No offense to Berrian, but he's not going to get #1 WR money from the Bears.

I'd give him borderline #1 money but not full fledged #1 money. Still, I think the drop down to Berrian and any other Bears WR compared with Briggs to Williams is way more extreme (and this is coming from someone who believes Briggs may very well be the best OLB in the league).

I wonder if we can perhaps work out a reconstruction of Moose's contract... tell him that he sucks and isn't worth no. 1 money, but you know the system and are a clubhouse leader, so either reconstruct your contract where you make more around a 2 or 3 rather then a 1, or get cut.

I'd give him borderline #1 money but not full fledged #1 money. Still, I think the drop down to Berrian and any other Bears WR compared with Briggs to Williams is way more extreme (and this is coming from someone who believes Briggs may very well be the best OLB in the league).

Are there any good WR's in the draft? Just curious.

While I have not done a ton of research, it doesn't look like a great draft for WRs, at least not high end. Jackson is most often named the top WR, and much of his skill is as a return man. Even he is considered a mid 1st round pick. Sweed from Texas is considered a 1st round pick based on potential, but he is not as polished as I would like. Point is, while there may be talent, this does not look like a great WR draft.

I wouldnt give him too much more than what Crayton got in Dallas.

Won't even be close.

Creighton, his agent, and most around the league have said the deal he signed was significantly less than we he could have gotten if he hit the market. But his family is in Dallas, he likes it here, and see a bright future w/ the team. He flat out gave Dallas a home team discount.

One. Berrian would have already been set to get significantly more than Creighton. Creighton signing a cheaper deal to stay in Dallas only makes the difference between the two deals that much greater.

Two. Don't expect Berrian to give the Bears a home team discount.

Won't even be close.

Creighton, his agent, and most around the league have said the deal he signed was significantly less than we he could have gotten if he hit the market. But his family is in Dallas, he likes it here, and see a bright future w/ the team. He flat out gave Dallas a home team discount.

One. Berrian would have already been set to get significantly more than Creighton. Creighton signing a cheaper deal to stay in Dallas only makes the difference between the two deals that much greater.

And as we've all seen the past few years, teams are just getting more and more flush with cash as the salary cap/revenue for the league goes up faster than the contracts that smart teams are handing out. There will be plenty of money out there for a guy like Berrian.

Won't even be close.

Berrian has indicated that he may take less money to stay in Chicago but I also think he wants to know what the future is going to be in terms of the offense (in regards to the coaching staff, the qb, and the front offices commitment to bring better talent in on the offensive side of the football).

[*]Timing and execution of a play is key. With out that it really doesn't matter what play is called. Recievers need to run their routes, Qb needs to make his progressions, and blockers need to make their blocks, backs need holes to run through. None of these things can happen properly if the Line doesn't do it's job. Sometimes it's easy to point fingers at the skill players, not that they are without fault, but we often instinctively say, change the QB, change the RB, Change the WRs. it takes all 11 to execute a play and if the line doesn't do it's job the skill players will have a difficult time doing theirs. Consequently they look bad, and often times worse than they really are.

[*]Overall effort, this year when things started to go south the team seemed to give up there just wasn't the same fire they had last year. They struggled to find an identity and find some continuity. This is the first year in a long time where a lot of the games were hard to watch because the effort didn't seem to be there. Some of that could be let down from the Super Bowl loss carrying over to this year. The defensive players even admited that having watched some of the practice film from last season there was a remarkable difference in the intensity. The defense got complacent. The offense struggled to find it's rythem. With 3 games remaining the team was starting to show signs of regaining that rythem and intensity. The last two games were the most complete games of the season. I saw a team that came out firing and played hard. They looked like last years team.

Begging to differ...these two points are the responsibility of the OC. He is supposed to make the players execute and apply effort on all his plays. Those that can't or don't should sit or go somewhere else for a paycheck. I'm willing to give Turner a pass considering that changing is what the GM has promised. It's not Turner's fault the cupboard of starters appeared bare. 2008 is promised to have a restocking for us in both talent and workable game philosophy. If the offense falls short in '08, then someone should get the axe.

I am concerned from Lovie's press conference and previous statements that he feels things are not too bad. While I don't think the team is a train wreck, I believe it needs a larger amount of rework than his "Pollyanna-ish" view can sustain. Keeping all the players and coaches will not yield better results. I fear too little will be done to make this team a contender for Champion in '08.

First, I do not buy that he will give us a discount. Many players talk about doing that, and then in the end, most all sign for whoever the highest bidder is. Creighton is a rare exception.

Second, I read that too where he was talking about the other factors. I think w/ some expected changes, it is all the more likely he will be saying idios.

In the case of Berrian or any WR it is important to them when they sign that contract they are doing so with a team with the system & QB to allow them to be productive and "shine" so that the next contract becomes even bigger. If Berrian had been playing on a team with a star QB and effective offensive scheme to highlight WRs he would have been a Pro Bowl WR by now, or at least a top 10 in HIGH demand. He may sign with the Bears but they will have to out bid all other suitors.