Hub on the Score says DT at 14?

nfoligno

Listening to Hub on the Score. I know, I know. Hub is FAR from a liked individual on this board, but is it unreasonable to believe he has connections w/in the Bears?

Anyway, he is saying that, according to his sources inside the bears, management sees DT as one of, if not the biggest need.

I would love to say Hub is full of it, but I can't. Angelo has said from day one that DT is maybe the most important position in his scheme. At DT, we currently have:

Harris - One of the best DTs in the game, but (a) is health a concern, (B) he has one year left on his deal and Harris has already indicated he believes he should be among the highest paid defensive players in the league, which means he will likely be seeking Freeny money. Is there a chance Angelo thinks we may lose Harris? If so, and if DT is the most important position in our defense, is DT than a greater need than we believe?

Dusty - Hey, I love what i saw too. I went to the Chi-Houston pre-season game last year, and posted after the game that I was most impressed w/ Dusty, and that was well prior to the hype he received soon after. Like no other player on the team, his motor never stopped. I loved what I saw. At the same time, he is two years into the league, and proven what? Injuries have killed him twice, and we have learned the hard way that you can only red shirt a player so often. Even if he does stay healthy and develop, if we lose Harris, is Dusty #1 DT material, or is he more of a great compliment.

The rest offer anywhere from nice rotation guys to good depth to some potential, but do we have a guy behind Dusty that could be considered a replacement for Harris?

Look, I am 100% against the idea of drafting a DT in the 1st. At the same time, I said some weeks ago I could see Angelo doing this as it fits his MO, and Hub talking about "his sources" makes me wonder that much more.

Problem is, it doesn't look like there's going to be a DT worth taking at 14. Sedrick Ellis and Glenn Dorsey will both go before that, and after that you have late 1st-early 2nd guys like Kentwan Balmer and Pat Sims. If they think they need a DT, get one in the 2nd or 3rd, not in the first.

Listening to Hub on the Score. I know, I know. Hub is FAR from a liked individual on this board, but is it unreasonable to believe he has connections w/in the Bears?

Anyway, he is saying that, according to his sources inside the bears, management sees DT as one of, if not the biggest need.

I would love to say Hub is full of it, but I can't. Angelo has said from day one that DT is maybe the most important position in his scheme. At DT, we currently have:

Harris - One of the best DTs in the game, but (a) is health a concern, (B) he has one year left on his deal and Harris has already indicated he believes he should be among the highest paid defensive players in the league, which means he will likely be seeking Freeny money. Is there a chance Angelo thinks we may lose Harris? If so, and if DT is the most important position in our defense, is DT than a greater need than we believe?

Dusty - Hey, I love what i saw too. I went to the Chi-Houston pre-season game last year, and posted after the game that I was most impressed w/ Dusty, and that was well prior to the hype he received soon after. Like no other player on the team, his motor never stopped. I loved what I saw. At the same time, he is two years into the league, and proven what? Injuries have killed him twice, and we have learned the hard way that you can only red shirt a player so often. Even if he does stay healthy and develop, if we lose Harris, is Dusty #1 DT material, or is he more of a great compliment.

The rest offer anywhere from nice rotation guys to good depth to some potential, but do we have a guy behind Dusty that could be considered a replacement for Harris?

Look, I am 100% against the idea of drafting a DT in the 1st. At the same time, I said some weeks ago I could see Angelo doing this as it fits his MO, and Hub talking about "his sources" makes me wonder that much more.

Here is my problem with Hubby Bear.

You say that he says he has inside sources whispering in his ear that the Bears feel DT may be one of their biggest needs. So HIS SOURCES INSIDE THE BEARS MANAGEMENT SAYS THIS???

In an article I posted just yesterday I quoted and gave a link to an article from ProFootball Weekly (PFW) which Hubby Bear is the top dog, the main man, it is his rag!! Now in this on line publication he has a column call "The way we hear it". It gives us information on all the teams from around the league with information from his inside sources with each team.

Now, according to the latest "The way we hear it" for the Bears, where he gives us insiders info from his sources with the Bears he gives this article:

It’s become obvious that the Bears clearly recognize the need for a major revamping of their offensive line, with the odds strong at present that GM Jerry Angelo could spend the team’s 14th overall pick in the first round on one of the talented, young O-linemen he scouted personally earlier this week during Senior Bowl practices in Mobile, Ala. It’s a totally different story up front on the other side of the ball, however, with team insiders believing the Bears could have one of the deepest and most talented D-lines in the NFL — if (with a capital “I) everybody stays healthy. With three solid ends in Adewale Ogunleye, Alex Brown and Mark Anderson, the team doesn’t need ’07 second-round pick Dan Bazuin, who was a nonfactor in his rookie season due to injury, to be anything more than a situational player in ’08. Inside, they appear to have a very solid five-deep situation with Pro Bowler Tommie Harris, Dusty Dvoracek (who was also injured the entire ’07 season and is considered the team’s best pure run defender), ’07 free-agent addition Anthony Adams, Matt Toeaina and Antonio Garay. We didn’t include high-priced ’07 trade addition Darwin Walker in the Bears’ DT mix, since it seems likelier than ever that he won’t be back after managing only 33 tackles (15th among Bears defenders) and one sack in ’07. But when you add valuable swingman Israel Idonije to the mix, you could have yourself a potential D-line to die for.

So he has INSIDE SOURCES WITH BEARS MANAGEMENT.

On the radio he says they are concerned about DT.

In his "The way we hear it article" he says they feel they have a DL to die for.

Can we say a bit of a contradiction here?????

Hub's "hip" earring must be somehow jamming brainwaves...

You say that he says he has inside sources whispering in his ear that the Bears feel DT may be one of their biggest needs. So HIS SOURCES INSIDE THE BEARS MANAGEMENT SAYS THIS???

In an article I posted just yesterday I quoted and gave a link to an article from ProFootball Weekly (PFW) which Hubby Bear is the top dog, the main man, it is his rag!! Now in this on line publication he has a column call "The way we hear it". It gives us information on all the teams from around the league with information from his inside sources with each team.

Now, according to the latest "The way we hear it" for the Bears, where he gives us insiders info from his sources with the Bears he gives this article:

In his "The way we hear it article" he says they feel they have a DL to die for.

LOL! I hate that earring :cheers

I wouldn't be surprised if Hub's right, though. He's usually right on with his draft forecasts, and I have to like that he's a Michigan alum...besides, wouldn't it be just like JA to draft D in Rd. 1...he doesn't know anything else.

I also heard that Sam Baker looked pretty bad. My top 3 OTs are : Long, Otah, Williams. I've heard great things about Williams, and he went to Vanderbilt, so you know he's intelligent. From FoxSports.com...

Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt: There were few offensive linemen who really stood out, but Williams really did. What's interesting is that they lined him up at RT and LT during the week and he didn't lose a thing. He's a mammoth-sized tackle who has really good feet and is quite strong. There seemed to be no offensive lineman who helped himself more than Williams.

Ha! :drink

I guess nothing would surprise me! We have too many holes to fill....

LOL! I hate that earring :cheers

I wouldn't be surprised if Hub's right, though. He's usually right on with his draft forecasts, and I have to like that he's a Michigan alum...besides, wouldn't it be just like JA to draft D in Rd. 1...he doesn't know anything else.

I also heard that Sam Baker looked pretty bad. My top 3 OTs are : Long, Otah, Williams. I've heard great things about Williams, and he went to Vanderbilt, so you know he's intelligent. From FoxSports.com...

I wonder, if reports of the Bears considering drafting a DT are accurate, perhaps that suggests they're considering moving Harris before he hits FA. If they were convinced they couldn't afford to keep him, or they were convinced his leg would never really recover from that injury, they might well consider moving him for something and filling in that hole.

I'm kind of bummed just thinking about that prospect...I really like Tommie! But I do love the jersey more...

I wonder, if reports of the Bears considering drafting a DT are accurate, perhaps that suggests they're considering moving Harris before he hits FA. If they were convinced they couldn't afford to keep him, or they were convinced his leg would never really recover from that injury, they might well consider moving him for something and filling in that hole.

Now it's offense from PFW?

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...spers012608.htm

Without completely ruling out the possibility that he might consider using the 14th overall pick in the draft on a defensive player, Bears GM Jerry Angelo told team sources at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., this week that he was strongly leaning toward an offensive pick in the first round in April.

Now it's offense from PFW?

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...spers012608.htm

Without completely ruling out the possibility that he might consider using the 14th overall pick in the draft on a defensive player, Bears GM Jerry Angelo told team sources at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., this week that he was strongly leaning toward an offensive pick in the first round in April.

And on the PFW website they have a mock draft with them predicting the Bears selecting RB Jonathan Stewart* | Oregon with pick #14. :lol:

I like his show...I just don't see him as a tough runner! ;)

I'm sure if we list out all the "inside info" from PFW now before the draft it'll change more than a politician's view on taxes!

And on the PFW website they have a mock draft with them predicting the Bears selecting RB Jonathan Stewart* | Oregon with pick #14. :lol:

PFW isn't exactly Derek Flint by finding out Jerry Angelo is targeting offense heavily in the draft and most likely with the first pick, considering he told everybody that last week:

"We're going to look at offense real hard and in all likelihood, it could be [the first pick]," Angelo said. "But we're not going to pigeonhole ourselves into saying one side or the other. We won't know for sure until we know what cards are dealt."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...1,4336029.story

I've got to think the pre-draft smoke & mirrors machine is working properly...

Absolutely.

Look at the situation. All the first round DTs will be long gone before 14, and another doesn't project in the first round. That means that if we were truly looking DT, we'd be looking to trade down out of 14.

But if we're thinking about an OT, we're right on the edge, getting the last of 4 to go in the first 14 picks, with #2 and #3 going in the two picks ahead of us, so we'd be looking to possibly trade UP a few slots to get ahead of those teams.

So how do you make calls around the league to teams ahead of the the two right before us who are also looking to get OT without getting them spooked into outbidding us, or leapfrogging ahead of our new position? You get 'em thinking that we're making the calls to trade DOWN for a DT.

Realize that these are the same teams (picks 1-11 in the first round, also pick 1-11 in the second round) that we would be looking to trade down with to get a DT in the early 2nd. So speaking with them would be in sync with the smokescreen. Nice!

Its not like its really going to work, but you can't blame them for trying.

And hey, taking a value DT is never a bad idea, but there isn't one before we pick in the 2nd.

You said it!

It's all how the draft game is played!

Absolutely.

Look at the situation. All the first round DTs will be long gone before 14, and another doesn't project in the first round. That means that if we were truly looking DT, we'd be looking to trade down out of 14.

But if we're thinking about an OT, we're right on the edge, getting the last of 4 to go in the first 14 picks, with #2 and #3 going in the two picks ahead of us, so we'd be looking to possibly trade UP a few slots to get ahead of those teams.

So how do you make calls around the league to teams ahead of the the two right before us who are also looking to get OT without getting them spooked into outbidding us, or leapfrogging ahead of our new position? You get 'em thinking that we're making the calls to trade DOWN for a DT.

Realize that these are the same teams (picks 1-11 in the first round, also pick 1-11 in the second round) that we would be looking to trade down with to get a DT in the early 2nd. So speaking with them would be in sync with the smokescreen. Nice!

Its not like its really going to work, but you can't blame them for trying.

And hey, taking a value DT is never a bad idea, but there isn't one before we pick in the 2nd.

The only time I specifically buy PFW is for the NFL Pre-season guide, and it lists Hub & his brother Bub as senior editors, and then it lists like 50 other writers/contributors. In other words, just because his rag says one thing doesn't mean he necessarily believes it.

Yes it's a contradiction, but pretty much every news-source is going to contradict itself about 50 times between now and April 26th. At this point and time individual opinions don't mean a damn thing. By April Walker and Tommie Harris could BOTH be signed (not likely but not impossible) and that would make drafting a DT pretty much out of the question. Then again, Walker could be gone, Dvoracek's progress could be minimal, and JA may know that Rosenass will insist his client Harris should hit the open market. In that case, DT becomes a MAJOR priority.

I just get annoyed that anytime something is posted with "Hub says" it always ends up being an attack on Hub rather then the point at hand. (The best case of this was when he said "The Bears couldn't make the playoffs with Kyle Orton as the quarterback." His mistake was not adding, "With the exception that if the defense becomes #1 in the league and if the rest of the NFC North goes to hell."

I believe it. Not just because Hub said it, but based on what JA has done in the past. Nobody was surprised in 2004 when JA drafted Tommie Harris, but drafting Tank Johnson in round two was one of the biggest surprises in the draft.

Then in 2006, with Tommie, Tank, Boone, & Scott on the roster, and everyone crying that offense is the #1 priority, JA drafts Dvoracek in round 3 over a TE. Then he drafts D-line AGAIN with Mark Anderson (this was after we'd just signed our back-up DE Idonije to a nice contract.)

It's not DT, but who the hell thought he'd take DE Dan Bazuin? Especially after having 2 good starters in Brown & Wale while finding a gem in round 5 the previous year in the 5th round with Mark Anderson.

So in 3 of the last 4 years, I've genuinely been shocked as hell that Angelo has drafted a d-lineman. In two years Dvoracek has never played an entire NFL game. The speculation is Walker is gone. I personally believe Adams is a nice back-up and nothing else. With Rosen-ass as his agent Harris will want "crazy money."

Maybe the talent won't be there for round one, but I wouldn't be surprised if we take a DT with our 2nd round pick.

I would also throw this one out. In 2006, it appeared we were in a position where a draft stength matched one of our biggest needs. TE. So many had us projected to take a TE that is was more an issue of which, rather than if. Well, we ended up passing on TE in the 1st, as we traded down for Daniel Manning. Then we skipped TE w/ our picks after that point as well.

Now looking back, I don't think any of those TEs have really exploded onto the scene, and we did get Olsen this year, but it does make you wonder. Will OT be this years TE?

Do we have needs greater than DL. I would think absolutely. At the same time, we all know Angelo's feelings on DL, particularly DT, and I can see how he would make an argument for a DT. Like CB, we use 3 DTs, and really only one is proven, and that one has had injury issues, as well as being due to hit FA soon. Similar to how we went OLB a couple times looking at the potential departure of Briggs, it simply would not shock me if we took a DT.

W/ that said, there does not appear to be a DT that would be close to good value w/ our pick, and like you, I do not think this will be our 1st pick, but I think we could end up taking a DT higher than most fans would expect.

Agreed. Most sites/publications have multiple editors, and they often contradict each others, especially when it comes to mock drafts.

Also agree that, while I am NOT a Hub fan, at the same time, I do not think it is a great idea to simply write off anything he says, and wish more often we would focus on the issue and not the man.

Before the draft, there is always a level of spin. But let me ask this. Which is more likely to be spin. Angelo flat out telling the press, and then talking to people at the senior bowl about how offense is our plan, or a reporter citing a source? To me, the more likely spin is the info the GM "knows" is being put in print, rather than the info an inside source tips off a reporter on.

There is always spin, and prior to the draft, you have to take everything w/ a grain of salt. But to me, Angelo telling the world our plan and focus is offense seems far more likely to be spin.

Maybe JA likes a couple of the OTs slated to go in the top half of round 1, and some of the DTs slated to go in the back half of roiund 1. If his OT guys are taken, then he'll try to trade down and get his DT AND an offensive guy with the second round pick he picks up by trading down. Just a thought.

Also, has anyone else noticed that an unusually large number of defensive players are going in the top half of round 1 in mock drafts? Seems like a good time to be looking for offense, since there might only be 5 or 6 offensive guys taken by the time we pick.

Lastly, if I have learned one thing watching the NFL the last couple years, its that you are better off having a good runing system and line than a highly touted RB. With the exception of LT (who also has a great system) and A-Pete, most of the top producing RBs were taken outside the top 10 or 15 picks. Guys like Ryan Grant, Willie Parker, Westbrook were all taken outside the first round (Grant was undrafted) and were among the top-producers in the league, whereas Benson and the other two taken top 5 the same year haven't had consistent success. Maybe its a mileage thing, maybe college running skills don't translate directly to the NFL.

Bottom line is, while I think Benson is a bust and RB is one of our top needs since JA has wasted two first day picks on RB the last couple years, I think we'd be better off scouring the free-agent, late round areas for RB, and investing more of the resources on OL and maybe an O-line/RB coach who's had proven success.

Agreed. Most sites/publications have multiple editors, and they often contradict each others, especially when it comes to mock drafts.

Also agree that, while I am NOT a Hub fan, at the same time, I do not think it is a great idea to simply write off anything he says, and wish more often we would focus on the issue and not the man.

Hub is a stupid ass and if the Bears are telling him anything at all, which I seriously doubt, they're feeding him garbage to throw other teams off the scent. Hub hasn't said anything worthwhile in his career and the bitter little man that he became after the Bears showed him the door really told me all I needed to know about his character.