Hester needs to be used like Wes Welker

ParkerBear7

I'm half wrong. I was right Hester wasn't fastest, but wrong it is Yamon Figures. There's actually 13 guys faster then Hester in the NFL currently:

1. Michael Bennett- 4.13

2. Laveraneus Coles- 4.16

3. Ike Taylor- 4.184

4. Joey Galloway- 4.187

5. Ahman Green- 4.19

6. Kevin Curtis- 4.21

7. Donte Stallworth- 4.22

8. Willie Parker- 4.23

9. Randy Moss- 4.25

9. Fabian Washington- 4.25

10. Champ Bailey- 4.28

10. Jerome Mathis- 4.28

10. Willis McGahee- 4.28

14. Stanford Routt- 4.29

Hester isn't even on the top 14. Actually, he's probably in the 30's; he ran a 4.45

This is track speed, not football playing speed. Put them in pads and have them race.

Peace :bears

This is track speed, not football playing speed. Put them in pads and have them race.

Peace :bears

Can this officailly be called the "Airese Currie factor?" I like how Rex always said, "He's the fastest receiver I've ever worked with!" I'll bet Rex would have loved to add, "To bad he can't catch the damn ball, run a route, or take a hit."

Yeah and we all know how well Danielle Manning uses his speed especially when he takes the wrong pursuit angle. Controlled speed is dangerous and Devin has that ability like none other or very few. You could also argue Barry Sanders was not the fatest RB but it was his amazing ability to start full speeed, stop, cut and be back at full speed that made him a special player.

How about this: Couldn't Hester be best be compared to Reggie Bush? While they play different positions, the two are similar in size, have unbelievable talent/potential, and both need space to create a big play.

New Orleans & Chicago are both criticized for not maximizing their potential.

With Hester, the first part of the season I wondered why the hell we didn't run him in an end-around, toss him the short pass, etc. By the end of the season, as soon as I saw it coming I was screaming, "NOOOOO!!!!!" More often then not the play ended up being a 5 yard loss.

This convinced me Turner did actually know what the hell he was doing & was smart for not running it. We saw these plays more often as the season progressed, probably because we had nothing to lose. Yet the outcome remained the same.

Hester has some GREAT plays catching the pass down-field, but most plays near the line of scrimmage were a disaster.

In other words, it's real easy to say, "Get him more involved" but it's much easier said then done.

I don't remember Michael Bennett running a 4.13 forty, thought he ran a 4.3 at the combine. Coles running a 4.16, maybe in his track days back in college but not these days. Galloway still has a lot of speed after two knee operations but sub 4.2? Ahman Green might be on a couch watching football next year.

Regardless, I agree Hester can be caught by some of the elite speedsters but they need to within striking distance of him. Many of those guys (offense) will be sitting on the bench when he's on the field so it leaves a very small group that can catch him and the odds of it happening get even smaller when you consider that we have to actually be playing that team for them to get the opportunity to do so.

How about this: Couldn't Hester be best be compared to Reggie Bush? While they play different positions, the two are similar in size, have unbelievable talent/potential, and both need space to create a big play.

New Orleans & Chicago are both criticized for not maximizing their potential.

With Hester, the first part of the season I wondered why the hell we didn't run him in an end-around, toss him the short pass, etc. By the end of the season, as soon as I saw it coming I was screaming, "NOOOOO!!!!!" More often then not the play ended up being a 5 yard loss.

This convinced me Turner did actually know what the hell he was doing & was smart for not running it. We saw these plays more often as the season progressed, probably because we had nothing to lose. Yet the outcome remained the same.

Hester has some GREAT plays catching the pass down-field, but most plays near the line of scrimmage were a disaster.

In other words, it's real easy to say, "Get him more involved" but it's much easier said then done.

I agree with what you are saying. Hester did well for himself last year considering he never played WR before this season. In fact he actually had a better first year than Bearrian's 1 & 2nd seasons. I am opptomistic Hester will be a really good WR in this league.

BERRIAN

YEAR TEAM G REC YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST

2004 CHI 16 15 225 15.0 49 2 8 0 0

2005 CHI 11 13 246 18.9 54 0 8 0 0

HESTER

2007 CHI 16 20 299 15.0 81 2 11 0 0

I agree with what you are saying. Hester did well for himself last year considering he never played WR before this season. In fact he actually had a better first year than Bearrian's 1 & 2nd seasons. I am opptomistic Hester will be a really good WR in this league.

BERRIAN

YEAR TEAM G REC YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST

2004 CHI 16 15 225 15.0 49 2 8 0 0

2005 CHI 11 13 246 18.9 54 0 8 0 0

HESTER

2007 CHI 16 20 299 15.0 81 2 11 0 0

There's a good chance you're right, but the problem is...if the Bears' receiving corps next year consists of Hester, Davis, and Bradley, with Olsen/Clarke at the TE slot and Benson still in the backfield...Hester could be Jerry Rice in his prime and still struggle. There's no one there at all to take any pressure off of him in the passing game except maybe the TE's, and we still don't know what we have there. It could work if there's a solid running game and the O-line is rebuilt, but it's not going to light the league on fire by any measure unless Bradley or someone like that steps up big time.

Hester has great speed. Does that mean he is the best in the 40? No. He has great football speed. And more than speed, he has incredible quickness, acceleration and awareness. These are great attritutes for a WR, but he does not excel in the areas Welker does.

Steve Smith might be the better comparison. I don't think he runs precise routes, but he can go deep and get past the coverage, and can hurt the defense after the catch.

I just think it is a mistake to think of using Hester like Welker. That simply isn't the sort of WR Hester is.

Honestly, I like what you and Bradjock are saying, but also think there is something missing. Hester's plays for the most part are well designed plays for him. The reason they did not work is because he was not on the field long enough to put anyone off guard for the end around, WR screen or quick slant. If he's on Offense20-25 snaps a game he's no longer a gimmick, ALA Steve Smith or Wes Welker.

I'd further propose since Hester has freak skills of HIS OWN, just like Smith and Welker, that he be used like Devin Hester. If he's going to shine they are going to have think for themselves and find what makes him great.

I'll be honest. I guess I simply question how great he will ever be. Look, there is no argument he was born w/ skills few others have. At the same time, many athletes never make it at a leve as great as the NFL.

As I understand it, he was tried at WR at Miami, and just didn't take. The reports, at least those I read, talked about how he simply could not pickup the system and routes, and many have questioned whether he has the "head" to become an everydown position player. Many talk about how he could never develop at any one position at Miami because he was moved around so much, but few talk about why Miami moved him around so much. Was it because he simply couldn't learn?

We have all seen what he can do w/ the ball in his hands, but as a WR, he has to be able to know the offense and run the routes in order to get the ball. I can't help but think about that one game where, on several plays, Moose was pushing Hester around trying to line him up before the snap, because Hester simply didn't know what he was doing.

I want him to develop as a WR. I want him to be an every down player, and if that happens, I think he can be elite. What I question is whether or not he can become an every down WR. It is easy to simply say we need to have him out there for 20+ snaps a game, but if he doesn't know the offense enough to know where to lineup, how can we do that?

I do agree w/ your point though. If he does develop as a WR, we may not be looking at a Steve Smith or a Wes Welker, but at Devon Hester. I do not think he will ever be the route runner Welker is, but at the same time, he can be so much more. First though, he needs to develop (and learn) enough to be an every down WR, and one the QB can rely on to be where he is supposed to be.

It is easy to simply say we need to have him out there for 20+ snaps a game, but if he doesn't know the offense enough to know where to lineup, how can we do that?

Agreed on all but...

IMO - the 20+ snaps a game are the only way he can succeed with his unique abilities. Otherwise, he will simply be a gimmick waiting to happen; adding value as a decoy/distraction only. It's a tough scenario to debate, because it becomes. "Chicken V Egg" I also believe if he is only a situational player that he may be more of a detriment than an asset, as the the regulars may be better for continuity and diversity of play calling.

I understand what you are saying, and agree it may be a chicken/egg situation. But two points I would make.

1. WR is one of the few positions that a 3rd, non starter, can play a big role. So if he isn't a starter, he may in fact still be in a position to get plenty of reps. It may not be 20+, but can be plenty more than the 2 or 3 gimick plays he has been getting per game. Similar to a backup RB, you can get him in for 10 or so plays, where he can develop and make an impact.

2. While there is no substitute for actual game experience, I am one of those who believe you need to prove you are capable of playing before you are simply thrown into the fire. Qb is the only exception, as it is a totally different scenario. He needs to show in practices that he knows the offense, knows where to lineup and can run his route. If he does not show that in practice, I am not sure playing in a game really benefits him that much. He needs to show far more development in practice before he should be getting 20+ reps in the offense.

I'll be honest. I guess I simply question how great he will ever be. Look, there is no argument he was born w/ skills few others have. At the same time, many athletes never make it at a leve as great as the NFL.

As I understand it, he was tried at WR at Miami, and just didn't take. The reports, at least those I read, talked about how he simply could not pickup the system and routes, and many have questioned whether he has the "head" to become an everydown position player. Many talk about how he could never develop at any one position at Miami because he was moved around so much, but few talk about why Miami moved him around so much. Was it because he simply couldn't learn?

We have all seen what he can do w/ the ball in his hands, but as a WR, he has to be able to know the offense and run the routes in order to get the ball. I can't help but think about that one game where, on several plays, Moose was pushing Hester around trying to line him up before the snap, because Hester simply didn't know what he was doing.

I want him to develop as a WR. I want him to be an every down player, and if that happens, I think he can be elite. What I question is whether or not he can become an every down WR. It is easy to simply say we need to have him out there for 20+ snaps a game, but if he doesn't know the offense enough to know where to lineup, how can we do that?

I do agree w/ your point though. If he does develop as a WR, we may not be looking at a Steve Smith or a Wes Welker, but at Devon Hester. I do not think he will ever be the route runner Welker is, but at the same time, he can be so much more. First though, he needs to develop (and learn) enough to be an every down WR, and one the QB can rely on to be where he is supposed to be.

You are absolutely right -- there is no guarantee that Devin will develop into a legit WR and could easily be a freak of an athlete without a real position. But as talent evaluators often do is place a huge emphasis on players with a huge ceiling when drafting which is the reason why there are so many boom or bust picks every year. So far DH has been all boom!

I feel Devin was making solid progress as he was slowly used more as the season went along considering his lack of experience at WR. I am sure the Bears will spend tremedous amount of time helping him learn the offense during the both the offseason & preseason. That may even be why the team decided to retain Turner for consistency's sake and to not undermine any retention Hester may have of the current offense. I have already posted Hester's 1st yr production compared to BB and I would bet it is even better than Bradley's 1st 3 seasons for someone who is so new to the WR position and recieving his batism by fire at the NFL level is the reason for my optomism. I do not question Hester's work ethic nor his desire to be successful which will be key for him to pull this off!

I understand what you are saying, and agree it may be a chicken/egg situation. But two points I would make.

1. WR is one of the few positions that a 3rd, non starter, can play a big role. So if he isn't a starter, he may in fact still be in a position to get plenty of reps. It may not be 20+, but can be plenty more than the 2 or 3 gimick plays he has been getting per game. Similar to a backup RB, you can get him in for 10 or so plays, where he can develop and make an impact.

2. While there is no substitute for actual game experience, I am one of those who believe you need to prove you are capable of playing before you are simply thrown into the fire. Qb is the only exception, as it is a totally different scenario. He needs to show in practices that he knows the offense, knows where to lineup and can run his route. If he does not show that in practice, I am not sure playing in a game really benefits him that much. He needs to show far more development in practice before he should be getting 20+ reps in the offense.

Very good points. I would say that is the reason Hester was not on the field early in the season and looking back the coaches were not going to put a player on the field before he was ready which is exactly the approach they took with Hester, Olsen & Wolfe (also refer to how slowly Benson was introduced into the lineup). I would say all have shown flashes with their limited PT that should be cause for optomism. I would be very pleased if Hester learned enough to be used 10-15 plays by the first 1/4 of next season with hopes he continues to grow into his new position!