Bears sign Brandon Lloyd

vegas1211

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bears signed Brandon Lloyd to a one-year contract.

Once a promising receiver in San Francisco, Lloyd was a huge bust after the Redskins made him rich. Perhaps he'll be hungrier now and Chicago risks little by giving him a "prove-it" contract to play under college coach Ron Turner. Lloyd could wind up starting or released by Week 1, although the latter is more likely.

I dont like the signing. Brandon Lloyd would be a ? mark and have to compete with Bradley where as if we had signed Bryant Johnson he would be penciled in as the starter and and it would be his job to lose. Its also for one year so if does make an impact hes a free agent next year and try to cash in. I would rather draft a WR and watch the development of Hass, Hester and Bradley. We need to sign a tackle.

I think this is a great signing. I am an Angelo basher, but I have to give him credit for how he has played his hand in FA w/ regard to Wrs.

Just look at what Berrian, Porter, Davis and others are getting. That is a true joke. Instead of giving a mediocre WR 4 times what he is worth, I much prefer the route Angelo is going.

Lloyd developed and improved each of his 3 years in SF. He goes to the black hole called Washington, and falls off the face of the NFL. He is only 26 years old, and is well worth the shot. And that we got him on a one year deal is cake.

I wouldn't make too much of this deal. It's basically a tryout. If he can prove he is healthy and does well, he'll make the team. But I don't see him breaking out to be our #1 WR...I can certainly hope though.

How the hell is this a tryout? We need WR's!

Agreed.

In the realm of WR's I like his moves overall.

I'm still not happy he's not addressed any OL in FA...but it's still early in the game.

I think this is a great signing. I am an Angelo basher, but I have to give him credit for how he has played his hand in FA w/ regard to Wrs.

Just look at what Berrian, Porter, Davis and others are getting. That is a true joke. Instead of giving a mediocre WR 4 times what he is worth, I much prefer the route Angelo is going.

Lloyd developed and improved each of his 3 years in SF. He goes to the black hole called Washington, and falls off the face of the NFL. He is only 26 years old, and is well worth the shot. And that we got him on a one year deal is cake.

I wouldn't make too much of this deal. It's basically a tryout. If he can prove he is healthy and does well, he'll make the team. But I don't see him breaking out to be our #1 WR...I can certainly hope though.

He'll never be a #1 wr. He's a scrawny little thing who, at his best, can rotate in and make a few plays. Like you say, this is a very minor signing, basically just a tryout. Nothing to get excited or worried about.

How the hell is this a tryout? We need WR's!

Are you serious?

He'll never be a #1 wr. He's a scrawny little thing who, at his best, can rotate in and make a few plays. Like you say, this is a very minor signing, basically just a tryout. Nothing to get excited or worried about.

As far as I know, he's no longer scrawny. I watched an ESPN interview he did and he was mentioning how he had bulked up a little and a lot of his Redskins teammates were surprised.

Are you serious?

As far as I know, he's no longer scrawny. I watched an ESPN interview he did and he was mentioning how he had bulked up a little and a lot of his Redskins teammates were surprised.

Okay, that's possible. I haven't seen much of him with the Redskins. Not that anyone else has, either. :D

Some places list his weight as 200, when he was 180 or so coming out of college and with the 49ers. That's a pretty big change -- you have to wonder if he's just less effective with the extra weight. Pure speculation, just thinking out loud, but it could help explain why he was such a bust with Washington.

And who said he was going to be a #1 WR, here? Another thing, this isn't a tryout!

Is english that hard to understand for Bears fans?

And who said he was going to be a #1 WR, here? Another thing, this isn't not a try out!

I dunno. Is it so hard for you that you can't read the post I was replying to?

It's a ONE YEAR DEAL. That's done so someone can get cut without being a big cap drag. Or for faded veteran stars who can at least contribute but want a shot at another multi-year deal. Since Lloyd's not a faded star, nor even a star, and there's no guarantee he can contribute, 1+1=...tryout. Guys on the verge of washing out of the league who get a one-year deal -- tryout.

You love making unequivocal statements and just screaming them over and over again without backing up anything. It's really tiresome.

And who said he was going to be a #1 WR, here? Another thing, this isn't a tryout!

Dude, what the hell is wrong with you? If we signed some bum off Lower Wacker and called him a WR, would he be an incredible signing too? Jesus Christ, wake up.

Due to injury, Lloyd's 2007 was basically a wash. Now if you compare his first 4 years and Berrian's, they are pretty damn close:

BB - 150 receptions, 2197 yards, 13 TDs, 14.6 AVG

BL - 128 receptions, 1875 yards, 13 TDs, 14.6 AVG

Also, like ostrogoth mentioned. Lloyd played for Turner at Illinois where Lloyd had back to back 1,000 yard receiving seasons in 2001 and 2002.

So it seems like a pretty safe signing with some upside.

I don't see him as being worse than Rashied Davis and that's who I view him replacing. Or Hass replaces Davis. Or rookie replaces Davis. I never felt the Bears were that interested in keeping him around (me either) and I wanted Moose gone.

I'm not ecstatic about where our WR corps is at right now but I do like the competition that's being brought in for the second tier of the WR roster without breaking the bank. A rookie will be added to compete for the first tier this year or next. Expect at least one of our young guys to have a breakout year in 2008 (Hester, Bradley, Lloyd, Hass, rookie). If two of them do, we're ok but this is a long shot. If not we add another WR next year. In other words, rebuilding the WR corps is a two-year project and since there wasn't anyone worth the money given to Berrian (let alone the other big $$ contracts) I think that's a good decision.

Between Hester, Bradley, this years rookie and next years addition we should be able to have a decent first tier of WR (assuming we draft wisely) and a reasonably priced second tier.

Okay, that's possible. I haven't seen much of him with the Redskins. Not that anyone else has, either. :D

Some places list his weight as 200, when he was 180 or so coming out of college and with the 49ers. That's a pretty big change -- you have to wonder if he's just less effective with the extra weight. Pure speculation, just thinking out loud, but it could help explain why he was such a bust with Washington.

It's honestly tough to go on weight. The NFL reports the information the team gives out. If you look at the Bear's defensive tackles, we have them all around 300 pounds. When I see them I'll think, "That guy is way over" or "That guy is way under. Ted Washington was always listed around 350 lbs, but it was speculated his weight was closer to 400.

That being said, you do bring up a good point and that does have to be considered.

I think it's more about Washington. When Lloyd was in San Fran his last season, he was the clear #1 receiver on a bad team. This prompted Washington to give up a #2 and #3, and pay a ton of money. Then they add him in the mix with Santana Moss (who at times is a legit #1 WR), Antwaan Randle El, and James Thrash. Later they add Reche Caldwell and Keenan McCardell.

Not to mention Chris Cooley's a damn good Tight End.

Did I mention Washington has sketchy QB play and they want to "run-first."

How the hell was he ever supposed to be successful??? This isn't a great signing, but it's very solid.

Due to injury, Lloyd's 2007 was basically a wash. Now if you compare his first 4 years and Berrian's, they are pretty damn close:

BB - 150 receptions, 2197 yards, 13 TDs, 14.6 AVG

BL - 128 receptions, 1875 yards, 13 TDs, 14.6 AVG

Also, like ostrogoth mentioned. Lloyd played for Turner at Illinois where Lloyd had back to back 1,000 yard receiving seasons in 2001 and 2002.

So it seems like a pretty safe signing with some upside.

Great post. I wonder how Berrian would have been if he'd had more WR competition with the Bears? Both of them are young speedy WR's.

Berrian signs for 6 years, 42 million, with 16 guaranteed. Lloyd signs a one year deal and he'll be lucky to make a million.

This is a GREAT signing IMO. Lloyd has a ton of potential and he needs to get paid.

I disagree we signed him "for a tryout" but agree that is the deal he got.

I think we are looking at him as being a significant contributor who we can so easily afford. I think he is looking at this, not so much as a tryout, but more a one year deal to prove himself and get a bigger payday later.

One year deal can be tryouts, but they are not always just that. Often a player will take a one year deal to improve him value. A guy coming off an injury or bad season will take a one year deal so as to avoid the long term committment in a bad deal. Do well, and get paid far more the following year.

I look at it this way. We have a tiny bit more than nothing. Booker was a great signing, IMHO, but is short term. He will help us get buy until we can find our future at the WR position. Bradley has done so little, there is simply no reason to expect much. Hester? So much natural talent, but there is no telling if he can translate to WR. That's it. Lloyd comes in as a 26 year old WR w/ 5 years of experience. No stats in front of me, but I think he had more catches his rookie year than Hester and Bradley last year combined. He imrpoved each of his first three years, and then bombed after going to Wash, where frankly many go to die.

So is he a #1? Very doubtful. But can he be a starter. For our roster this year, likely. For the future, hopefully.