Orton vs Rex

Da Bears 88

QB Battle  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Orton
    • Rex

You know what is going to be really sad about this competition? If rex actually proves that he is better and wins the job, nobody is going to accept that he won the job. they are going to say he was handed the job again and nobody will accept that he won the job.

I want the better QB to win the job, plain and simple. I think that QB is Rex, but if Orton wins I wont be unhappy about it. But I can hear the complaining already, the headlines are ready to be printed.

Been listening to the debate on the Score. The whole Loyd angle about did he or did he not get told that Rex was the starter and simply wasn't supposed to let that slip. Was it an assumption and it is in fact an open competition. And if it isn't a competition what is there to gain by publicly stating that is when it isn't. If I were Kyle I'd be pretty peeved if I signed because I was told it would be an open competition. We'll see how this plays out. It almost wouldn't be surprising if it is a competition per say but Rex will start out as the fav. Which IMHO if that is the case say that. Let Kyle know that if he can beat Rex out in training camp than he has a chance at the starting job. Logically it could make sense to say it's Rex's job to loose (never liked that term) since he is technically the incumbent starter. Where I have an issue is that if everyone's being told it is a competition and Kyle doesn't have a realistic shot.

IMHO throughout his whole time here with the Bears Kyle has handled the situation fairly well. Rex goes down in 2005 and he comes in and manages the games then the Atlanta game he leaves the field as the starter comes out after the half as the backup. From that point on he doesn't sniff the field till the end of last season when the season was over anyway. He performed pretty well in his opportunities last season. IMHO he's earned a right to a true open competition.

As for Rex he started off horribly last year and got benched. Greise came in and struggled as well. After the Benching Rex looked much better in his return to the starting spot. Then he suffered a minor injury, enter Kyle Orton. I honestly believe that Orton would have started the following week anyway.

With Rex he has the stretches where you see potential and you see a level of play that is as good as any QB in the league. At other times he can have stretches where he look like he is completely lost and has no clue what he's doing. After his benching he looked like it did him good as he looked more under control and kept the mistakes to a minimum. The question is, is that a sign that he's past the Bad Rex and looks to return to the pre Arizona game Rex that we saw in the 2006 season.

With Orton he's done everything that has been asked of him he came in and preformed pretty well for a rookie in not loosing games for a Bears team that was predominantly lead by the Defense. He has sat quietly behind Rex and Griese over most of the past 2 seasons. You have to wonder what he was thinking while he watched Rex and then Brian stink it up out on the field and wonder what do I have to do to get a shot. I can't possibly do any worse than this. When he did get his chance he made the most of it and looked pretty good. Much better than I had even expected.

I do like Rex but I also like Orton and sort of leaning his way as I think he deserves a legit shot at winning that job. I don't see him signing a 1 year extension to be a backup for another year. This year will be a winner takes all as far as the starting spot whichever of them wins the starting spot will ultimately get a longer extension and the other is likely looking for a new home on someone else's roster. I voted for Orton but I'm definitely on the fence. If Rex can play up to the level of the first several games of 2006 and the last few that he played after his benching that Orton's got his work cut out for him. What is working in Orton's favor is he hasn't embarrassed himself in the way Rex has in the past. Sure the Cincy game in 2005 was ugly but that was one game.

As an admin, it is possible to lock a thread when your clicking through other posts (if you double click on the post icon as an admin/mod the thread will be locked).

The thread was locked on accident. No one meant to lock it. However, in the future, before creating a stir on the forums, please send the admins/mods a PM (as that is the appropriate way to handle such a situation). I am removing the other thread (the goodbye one).

As an admin, it is possible to lock a thread when your clicking through other posts (if you double click on the post icon as an admin/mod the thread will be locked).

The thread was locked on accident. No one meant to lock it. However, in the future, before creating a stir on the forums, please send the admins/mods a PM (as that is the appropriate way to handle such a situation). I am removing the other thread (the goodbye one).

I was just following the precedence.

We all know there are no hard rules for deletion/modification/locking threads. We also know that mistakes are made, in judgement and in mouse-control. HOWEVER, we also know that there needs to be action when problems arise, and there needs to be admins. Otherwise you end up with the ESPN boards, which suck.

With that said, I will speak out for anyone who feels wronged. Since I was clearly the target of the previous attack on the old board, I feel it is my duty as someone who has learned from the mistake, to campaign on the side of the wronged party and ensure that their issue is given attention. You gave it speedy attention, and I appreciate it.

I was just following the precedence.

We all know there are no hard rules for deletion/modification/locking threads. We also know that mistakes are made, in judgement and in mouse-control. HOWEVER, we also know that there needs to be action when problems arise, and there needs to be admins. Otherwise you end up with the ESPN boards, which suck.

With that said, I will speak out for anyone who feels wronged. Since I was clearly the target of the previous attack on the old board, I feel it is my duty as someone who has learned from the mistake, to campaign on the side of the wronged party and ensure that their issue is given attention. You gave it speedy attention, and I appreciate it.

I completely respect that. I still say (and I said it at the time of the action on the old board, albeit far too late since I'm not always around) that issues should first be discussed privately and if at that point the person has a problem and feels the rule is unjust than they can discuss it with the peers (and if the membership agrees, I have no problem admitting a mistake). By all means, I don't know all when it comes to running something and I could very well make a mistake, but I think it is better to let someone discuss the mistake one on one with someone, than let it turn into a public berating or anything along those lines.

Again, just my 2 cents on the issue.

I think in the coaches eyes its Kyles job to lose and I think Rex will end up with the job. I wouldnt be surprised to see both of them start 8 games next year.

I believe right now Orton probably is a 55/45 favorite on Rex. However, I think Rex knows the offense better and more importantly can make all the throws. Rex has a quicker release, stronger arm, and is more accurate. The only key is whether Rex is truly comfortable and willing to step up and be more agressive in the pocket (ie, be more willing to take off and truly forget about his leg injury).

He showed a buttload of improvement late last season (prior to getting hurt against the Redskins) and I would really like to see him continue with that development. He really has the ability, a great attitude, and man would I love to see him fight through all his adversity and suceed.

Kyle on the other hand showed a pretty good ability to take a hit and stick in and make a play. He also showed good accuracy at times and better arm strenght than I expected. He sees the field very well (better than Rex) but at the same time can't make all the throws, but if he can improve on his down field accuracy he could very well be a better QB (in the sense that with his height he can make plays to the strenght of our offense easier than Rex...ie the middle of the field where our TE's and Booker will be).

The more I am looking at it the more I think JA and the Bears intentions are to draft one of Flacco or Brohm in either one of the first 2 rounds (value of Brohm and Flacco seem to shift everyday so we'll see come draft time if they will be 1st or 2nd round selections), and then it will be either Rex's or Kyle's job to keep the seat warm for half the season or so and then hand the ball off to whoever they drafted. I could see us doing something similar to what the Broncos did with Cutler back in 06.

The more I am looking at it the more I think JA and the Bears intentions are to draft one of Flacco or Brohm in either one of the first 2 rounds (value of Brohm and Flacco seem to shift everyday so we'll see come draft time if they will be 1st or 2nd round selections), and then it will be either Rex's or Kyle's job to keep the seat warm for half the season or so and then hand the ball off to whoever they drafted. I could see us doing something similar to what the Broncos did with Cutler back in 06.

Have you seen anywhere the Bears are thinking about Brohm? Ive wanted them to target him since last year so I would like if we could get him. Any chance we can get him in the third or later?

Have you seen anywhere the Bears are thinking about Brohm? Ive wanted them to target him since last year so I would like if we could get him. Any chance we can get him in the third or later?

no, I haven't really seen the two names linked, but Flacco could be used as the smokescreen for Brohm.

Brohm has a really good shot at the 1st round but if Flacco does jump ahead, Brohm could fall to the 2nd. I highly doubt he falls out of the 3rd though.

Also, I should point it out, Brohm is my favorite QB from this class, even though Flacco is making a strong push ;)

On a sidenote, I know people call Flacco this fast riser, but isn't that similar to what Jay Cutler ended up doing. I know a lot of people had Cutler on the radars, but during the college football season I don't recall anyone having him jumping up the boards as much as he did.

Its just he threw an impressive ball and had all the tools despite playing on a relatively poor college FB team (Vandy). Obviously Vandy is superior to Delaware, but from everything I've seen, Flacco has all the tools you'd want out of a QB.

no, I haven't really seen the two names linked, but Flacco could be used as the smokescreen for Brohm.

Brohm has a really good shot at the 1st round but if Flacco does jump ahead, Brohm could fall to the 2nd. I highly doubt he falls out of the 3rd though.

Also, I should point it out, Brohm is my favorite QB from this class, even though Flacco is making a strong push ;)

Youre gonna have to find a different qb to like because we simply cant both like the same guy from this draft.

One thing I will be curious to see is how we call plays w/ each QB in camp/ preseason. To be honest, I have never been "that" impressed w/ Rex' deep game. He has made some big downfield passes, but also throws a bunch that miss. Orton on the other hand, seems to get very few opportunities to throw downfield. When he is in the game, we seem to call a shorter field than when Rex is in.

Maybe the reason for this is Orton doesn't have a deep game, but I think that we need to open it up w/ him in there to see if he is capable or not. If he is not, that may be a deciding factor as much as anything. But I think we have to give him a shot to fail first.

I think Rex goes into camp as the #1, but that is written in pencil. I believe the job is Rex' to lose, but also believe the staff is open enough that Rex can lose it. Where as in the past I said Rex would need a total meltdown in camp, combined w/ Griese being on fire, I do not believe that is the true this year. If Orton simply plays better, he could well start. So it is on Orton first to step up.

You are probably right. I guess it was somewhat similar to what I said, just not as negative!

I think Rex goes into camp as the #1, but that is written in pencil. I believe the job is Rex' to lose, but also believe the staff is open enough that Rex can lose it. Where as in the past I said Rex would need a total meltdown in camp, combined w/ Griese being on fire, I do not believe that is the true this year. If Orton simply plays better, he could well start. So it is on Orton first to step up.

You know what is going to be really sad about this competition? If rex actually proves that he is better and wins the job, nobody is going to accept that he won the job. they are going to say he was handed the job again and nobody will accept that he won the job.

I want the better QB to win the job, plain and simple. I think that QB is Rex, but if Orton wins I wont be unhappy about it. But I can hear the complaining already, the headlines are ready to be printed.

That's ridiculous, why would people be saying he was handed the job. The only way that would be said is if he goes out and throws for a qb rating anywhere from 0-30 a couple of times like he did numerous times last year. Let's get everything straight. Everyone says that grossman gets a bad rap, how many qb's A.) are injured the first three years and still annointed starter? B.) Have such horrible games consistently in one season, and C.) Throw as many int's or botch as many fumbles in one game? I don't hate grossman, however I don't believe he can consistently be a starting qb in the NFL. His mentality just hasn't grown in his years here. When he has a bad game he has a REALLY BAD GAME! That's why he is under such scrutiny. It's not undeserved nor uncalled for. He 'll go through a game without a pick then the next game you'd think that his receivers were wearing the other team's jerseys. So yeah you'll hear the Grossman was handed the starter job, but only if he goes out and throws 4-5 int's in a couple games. Why shouldn't you? Orton didn't go out and turn the ball over like rex has in the past. As a matter of fact in the t/o to td ratio I believe Orton was positive. That my friend is the reason you would hear the unfair competition argument. With a ball control, run the football first team you'll never get anywhere with a qb prone to turning the football over.