Kevin Jones Released by Lions

dawhizz

Seems like it would make sense to make a play for him if he would come cheap. He brings some of the same things you had with Thomas Jones. He's certainly had his problems, but who hasn't running behind the Lions' O-line?

After spending a #4 on Benson and a 3rd rounder on Wolfe...any option that attempts to fix the running game without requiring the Bears to spend a draft pick in the top 3 rounds on a RB is one I'll favor.

After spending a #4 on Benson and a 3rd rounder on Wolfe...any option that attempts to fix the running game without requiring the Bears to spend a draft pick in the top 3 rounds on a RB is one I'll favor.

I've always liked KJ's hustle. He works hard for the yards he get, like TJ did.

Sure, why not go get him if the price is right?

I've always liked KJ's hustle. He works hard for the yards he get, like TJ did.

Sure, why not go get him if the price is right?

I couldn't agree more. I think having a Jones in the backfield would be superb. I would have liked to keep Thomas there and even added Julius but would be satisfied in seeing Kevin join in. He DOES have the hustle needed for that East/West running style (vice Benson's alleged ability for North/South) and has the experience to follow his blockers. However, as someone else mentioned, he is a bit of an injury risk. That would work in the Bears favor though and not needing to pay optimum price.

Here are some stats...not bad...

TEAM GS Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg YAC TD

2005 Detroit 13 186 664 3.6 5 20 109 5.5 5.1 0

2006 Detroit 12 181 689 3.8 6 61 520 8.5 9.9 2

2007 Detroit 13 153 581 3.8 8 33 199 6.0 6.4 0

Career (Full) 53 761 3067 4.0 24 142 1008 7.1 7.9 3

The only thing is that he too would have to change his number....

071001_kevin_jones_breaking_tackle.jpg

However, as someone else mentioned, he is a bit of an injury risk. That would work in the Bears favor though and not needing to pay optimum price.

He's a significant injury risk but if he passes a physical, I'd try to get him. As I expressed elsewhere on this site, I'm not certain Benson has what it takes in several regards. Having him on the team would allow us to focus on OL and WR in the draft.

He's a significant injury risk but if he passes a physical, I'd try to get him. As I expressed elsewhere on this site, I'm not certain Benson has what it takes in several regards. Having him on the team would allow us to focus on OL and WR in the draft.

I'd sign him to an incentive laden 1 yr deal and tell him and Benson that this year is an audition for their NFL career. In all likelyhood, if they both flop, we'll be drafting RB high next year anyway.

I would have an interest in Kevin Jones, however, I prefer that given the depth of this draft at the RB position, that the Bears use an early pick on an RB and pass on the WR position (using FA and Darrel Jackson to be where they fill the hole at WR, with a developmental pick or two made on the 2nd day). I also have a lot of questions regarding Jones health and given that Benson has injury questions I do not think it is a good idea to have your #1 & #2 backs with health issues (because i do not want to see AP and Wolfe being our #1 & #2 backs again anytime soon). I would also trade Garret Wolfe who I think is worthless and a horrid fit for our system (he wouldn't be worthless if we didn't have AP, but the fact is we do and AP contributes to the Bears in so many ways).

I just am not a fan of this years WR class. There are some guys I like, but I think in a typical year you'd have more talent early on in the draft that could be there for the Bears and if you get a guy like Jackson you have enough to go with Bradley/Hester that you could pass on using your WR pick early and therefor focus on the OL/RB/QB position (I would personally also pass on the QB position as well).

But I would like to see the Bears 1-3 rnd turn into this...Oline or RB (depending on which OT will be there, if they feel they will have a similar graded one there at 2, wait till 2 and take the RB), take the other spot with the rd 2 pick, go QB or Guard, than take the other pick with your 2nd 3rd round pick.

I would love Mendenhall in the 1st (great athlete and talent, may or may not be there at 14). I would have zero problem moving down and grabbing Stewart (who I know is injured, but it is a minor injury in terms of any long-term effects) or Felix Jones (Jones is a bit more raw, but again, I love his ability). As rookies, these are guys that wouldn't necessarily have to start for the Bears but will be able to make significant contributions and push Benson.

IF Benson tears it up, great, we have a good problem, and if he doesn't, we already have a guy with a year under there belt to hand the job to as we tell Benson to peace out with Peterson and Wolfe sliding up on the depth charts. Plus, I believe if Benson tears it up and our RB selection looks good, we could always consider dealing Benson for a pretty high draft pick and address other needs. Either way, I Think it just makes way too much sense to draft a RB early as opposed to signing an RB (I would have liked Julius Jones or even Michael Turner (although I'm not a proponent of giving that much money to a back that has never proved himself as a starter...and Turner money will be substantially more than what the Bears end up giving there first round draft pick) but those options are long gone.

His last 3 years leave a lot to be desired. I don't see how this would be an upgrade over Benson. The main reason is injuries. I guess it would come down to how much the Bears were willing to spend on this type of deal.

If I had to choose between paying D. Jackson or K. Jones, I am picking D. Jackson.

Even though your opinion was a bit longwinded...I would have to agree. Not on everything (getting rid of Wolfe and signing Darrel Jackson) both wastes in my opinion. But after reading this opinion from Larry Mayer at Chicagobears.com

"I don’t see Kevin Jones being an answer for the Bears given his serious durability issues. He tore a foot ligament near the end of the 2006 season and then ruptured his right ACL last Dec. 23. With Jim Colletto replacing Mike Martz as offensive coordinator, the Lions intend to commit more to the run—and they still released Jones. That tells me all I need to know. I think it’s safe to say that the Lions and Bears both could select a running back in the first few rounds of the draft."

I would still like to see the Bears try for KJ but after some time has passed (closer to draft day) and noone else of significance had popped up.

As far as the draft goes #1 - OL #2 - Flacco #3 - RB(?)