Darrell Jackson

Wesson44

Looking over Jackson's stats, you could really make a case that he's a simliar type of player to Berrian (more proven, but maybe on the downside of his career while BB is on the upside).

Jackson had a poor season in San Fran, but he had absolutely no offensive help. Gore was hurt and the QB play in San Fran made the Bears QB play look like the Colts/Patriots play. The year before in Seattle he put up just under 1000 yards and 10 TD's. Obviously Seattle could potentially inflate his stats (given they are a good offensive team, definitely a better offensive team than Chicago) but he has 3 1000 yard seasons, plus a couple 800+ receiving yard seasons.

And with the exception of one year where he was injured and this past season, he has always had over 700 receiving yards (that includes his rookie season in 2000). He would be the perfect pickup to compliment Booker and help Rex Grossman/Kyle Orton.

Mix those two with Clark/Olsen and you have a pretty servicable set of receiving weapons with the threat of having an above average to even a top 5 receiving core if Bradley/Hester develop. Man, I really want Jackson.

one of the reasons why Jackson had such good success in Seattle was because, or so I've read, is that he had a great relationship with Hasselback.

But still, like I said previously, I don't care either way. The guy I would want, however, is D.J. Hackett.

I think we need to stock pile a few vet WR and would like to add Hackett and or Jackson which would give Rex/ Orton the most talent the BEARS may have ever had from a WR corps that I recall with OL & RB the final key ingrediaents for a chance to be a successful (multi-dimensional) offensive unit!

One. It isn't that I think Lloyd is all that. At the same time, the original point I made was that if the staff really wants to push Bradley or Hester into the starting role, that is less likely to happen if we sign Jackson. Personally, I would love to add Jackson as I think our two young WRs would be far better off as #3 or #4 WRs, w/ less pressure. But that may not be the staff's desire. If they really want to see either start this year, that is simply not likely to happen if we sign Jackson.

Two. If we signed Jackson to a short term deal (2 year or so) would that really take WR off our need list? We just locked up Book for 2 years, and if we sign Jackson for the same, we would still have a need at WR. As it takes WRs 2 - 3 years to develop, I would argue w/ or w/o Jackson, WR very well could still be a 1st day pick. I guess 2nd day now that the 3rd round is on day two, but you get my point.

Why jump either. We replaced Moose w/ Book and Berrian w/ Lloyd. It looks like Davis is gone, so if we added Jackson, that would be another replacement. So,

Booker - Jackson - Lloyd - Hester - Bradley - Hass.

If we draft a WR, then Hass or Bradley could be in trouble, but w/o a drafted rookie, I don't see why we would dump either.

I don't think people should consider Hass, Rideau, or Lloyd locks yet. And I don't know where these assumptions are coming from. Right now, we have 3 WR that are sure of making the team, those being Booker, Hester, and Bradley, and even then Bradley isn't a 100% lock.

I don't think it is a matter of being a lock. I think it is a matter of experience and numbers.

Like you said, we have Booker and Hester who are absolute locks, w/ Bradley the next closest thing. That is 3, and we have 3 more spots after that. Many are so high on Hass or Rideau because of what they did in college, or camp, or practice, but they have nothing when it comes to NFL experience. When you are talking about Bradley and Hester as two of your three locks, you can only afford so many spots for developmental players.

I don't think any believe Lloyd is the 2nd coming. I think many believe it was a great signing due to risk/reward. After that, most just like the potential he brings, but that is not absolute.

Still, who is going to knock him off the roster? Right now, assuming Davis is gone, all three make the team. Assume we draft a WR. Then the previously listed three battle for 2 spots. Sorry, but while Lloyd has not proven to be a stud, he has shown FAR more in the NFL than either of the other two, and w/ so little experience, how many WRs can we afford to employ that have never played a down in a game?

Which is why I like the idea of bringing in Jackson. I'd sign him to a 3 year deal and give him a bit more cash. Nothing too high so it's at least a manageable contract for us but it would stabilize the WR position for a couple years while we sort out who's who among Hester, Bradley, Lloyd. You've got Booker for next year too so adding Jackson could let us wait a year to draft a WR.