Darrell Jackson

Wesson44

The San Francisco 49ers announced on Saturday that WR Darrell Jackson has been waived.

“I always had a great deal of respect for Darrell as a player in the NFL," said head coach Mike Nolan. "I appreciated his dedication and work ethic during his season with the 49ers. He always had a positive attitude every day he came to work. While we are going in a different direction, I know he can still produce and be an asset to an NFL team this year.”

Jackson joined the 49ers on a draft day trade with the Seattle Seahawks last April.

Jackson started 15 games for San Francisco in 2007 and finished third on the team with 497 receiving yards and fourth with 46 receptions. He also added three touchdowns.

In his nine-year career, Jackson has recorded 487 catches for 6,942 yards with 50 touchdowns in his eight-year career, which includes three 1,000-yard seasons.

When healthy Jackson has been a sucessful #1 WR in the NFL. He clearly isn't as good as he once was, but he still has something left and would definitely be a solid pickup. In fact, if the Bears aren't planning on drafting a WR early (which typically is the only way to get the type of WR who would start or get significant playing time from the get-go) than it would be wise to get as many quality veteran WR's (Booker is one, Jackson could be the other) who you can surround Bradley/Hester with (since those two guys are the so-called game breakers and future top WR's).

It also gives Grossman a few guys who should know how to run crisp routes, make plays, and more importantly get open on 3rd downs which will ease things for Hester/Bradley. Bottom line, having Jackson/Booker/Bradley/Hester is not too bad of a WR core. You have two super fast guys in Bradley/Hester who can make plays and than two pretty dependalbe guys in Booker/Jackson (in fact, IIRC, Jackson has had some drops issues in the past, but he also has been a semi big play guy as well).

Financially I couldn't imagine Jackson breaking the bank either and I consider him a good buy given the fact that San Francisco had freaking terrible QB's and thus it is hard for anyone to get decent stats in the passing game there.

I'd take him in a second. He has shown that he can play at a high level with 3x 1,000 yard seasons and 5 seasons with 6 or more TDs. He is 29, so he definitely has a few more good years left in the tank.

He would be an upgrade over Berrian and Moose as well.

This would be a huge pickup. It would also allow the Bears to concentrate on other needs in the draft.

I'd take him in a second. He has shown that he can play at a high level with 3x 1,000 yard seasons and 5 seasons with 6 or more TDs. He is 29, so he definitely has a few more good years left in the tank.

He would be an upgrade over Berrian and Moose as well.

This would be a huge pickup. It would also allow the Bears to concentrate on other needs in the draft.

I would go for Darrell Jackson as well. Not sure if he would be an upgrade, but certainly would be a good option for our O.

Others I would not mind seeing (assuming they were cheap cheap) are DJ Hackett, Eric Moulds, & Peerless Price.

Still need to draft a WR to develop, the key word is develop. How many rookie WRs actually contribute much year one.

I think a key question is, how much do Angelo and Lovie want to push the development of Hester and Bradley.

I know what everyone here thinks, and I am in the same camp. While I would like to see the development of them, I do not want to go into the year 'counting on' either. To me, counting on either of the two is similar to counting on a rookie WR. Yea, they are not rookies, but as raw as they were at WR coming out of college, I think many rookie WRs are actually as, if not more, polished.

W/ all that said, the more WRs we add, the deeper Hester/Bradley will be pushed down the list. We can talk about competition until we are blue in the face, but I doubt Booker will face serious competition, and ditto if we signed Jackson. In Lloyd, I think we very much still have competition for that spot.

Anyway, I would like to do it, but if Angelo and Lovie see this as sort of a make or break year for Bradley, and a career defining year for Hester, I can see them planning to give each big time PT, and thus passing on some of the WRs still out there: Jackson, Hackett, B.Johnson.

I think a key question is, how much do Angelo and Lovie want to push the development of Hester and Bradley.

I know what everyone here thinks, and I am in the same camp. While I would like to see the development of them, I do not want to go into the year 'counting on' either. To me, counting on either of the two is similar to counting on a rookie WR. Yea, they are not rookies, but as raw as they were at WR coming out of college, I think many rookie WRs are actually as, if not more, polished.

W/ all that said, the more WRs we add, the deeper Hester/Bradley will be pushed down the list. We can talk about competition until we are blue in the face, but I doubt Booker will face serious competition, and ditto if we signed Jackson. In Lloyd, I think we very much still have competition for that spot.

Anyway, I would like to do it, but if Angelo and Lovie see this as sort of a make or break year for Bradley, and a career defining year for Hester, I can see them planning to give each big time PT, and thus passing on some of the WRs still out there: Jackson, Hackett, B.Johnson.

I understand your point and agree to an extent, but do you want Bradley and Hester to be handed the starting positions or have to compete for them with the best WR winning the starting job? If Bradley and Hester are ready to be productive WRs in the NFL, let them prove it on the field. It is not like we are bringing in Randy Moss and Terrell Owens for them to compete with.

I am not talking what I would want. I already said I would sign Jackson. My point is talking about what i think Angelo/Smith may be thinking. I can see where they think they added Lloyd, to bring some veteran experience into the competition for the 2nd job. If Bradley or Hester beat him out, great. If not, he can start.

Again, not saying this is what I would want, but what I think Angelo/Smith may want.

I am not talking what I would want. I already said I would sign Jackson. My point is talking about what i think Angelo/Smith may be thinking. I can see where they think they added Lloyd, to bring some veteran experience into the competition for the 2nd job. If Bradley or Hester beat him out, great. If not, he can start.

Again, not saying this is what I would want, but what I think Angelo/Smith may want.

Yeah, I totally forgot about Lloyd. If the Bears just signed Booker and Lloyd, and are trying to develop Hester and Bradley, then going after Jackson doesn't make much sense.

Yeah, I totally forgot about Lloyd. If the Bears just signed Booker and Lloyd, and are trying to develop Hester and Bradley, then going after Jackson doesn't make much sense.

Lloyd signed a one year contract at the minimum. While I know a lot of us are excited about the signing given the fact that he has some quality tools and had a good season or two at a very young age, we also have to realize it was a one year deal and much more of a tryout than a guy being guaranteed a job.

Lloyd would not at all get in the way of Bradley/Hester unless he came into camp and kicked ass and if he did so, than so be it, he would have earned a job based on his performance. The way I see it, you sign Jackson to a 2 or 3 year deal, have Booker, and than plan on having Bradley/Hester as your 3/4 WR's and those guys should be able to get ample reps and hopefully one of them during the season develops into a top 2 WR replacing one of Booker/Jackson.

You also have to realize injuries happen so you have another one of those guys capable of stepping up and taking a starting role with an injury to one of the top guys. Than sitting behind you have a 5th in Lloyd who is a veteran capable of coming in and making a play when needed (or given an injury, who can easily slide up and be a servicable #4).

Thats what I call depth and it also allows the Bears to ignore the WR position in the draft and given how many needs they have to fill in the draft it would be a good idea to at least try and address some of those needs now so that you can realistically fill the other needs via the draft.

Currently, the Bears have needs at WR/OT/OG/RB/QB/S. I could argue the QB spot (as I am comfortable with Orton/Rex) but it is pretty evident the Bears aren't overly comfortable with either of them). There is no freaking way, with 4 first day picks that you can seriously address all those needs for this year.

However, if you sign DJ, you've taken WR from that list. If you sign an OG, you may have just pulled OG from the list, and now the Bears just have OT/RB/QB/S which can all be addressed during day 1, knowing that your first two picks go to the biggest needs, OT/RB. You can even make a case to sign the S position and take a guy like Schuening in the 3rd if he is there (this way you get two younger guards).

And yes, there are still quality guards out there that the Bears could sign and they should have the cap room to sign a FA guard, a guy like Jackson, and than work an extension with Harris or any other current Bear that JA wants to extend now.

If the team doesn't have a ton of confidence in either Hass or in Bradley, then it makes a lot of sense to dump one of those guys and try to grab this upgrade.

I still think we will upgrade through the Draft...I know Bradley was in Lovies dog house last season,but I dont think we we see him go Davis is on the way out IMO...I like what I've seen of Hass,but I also liked Ball and he didnt last that long...my money would be on us getting another few WR's in the Draft.

I still think we will upgrade through the Draft...I know Bradley was in Lovies dog house last season,but I dont think we we see him go Davis is on the way out IMO...I like what I've seen of Hass,but I also liked Ball and he didnt last that long...my money would be on us getting another few WR's in the Draft.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if a WR was picked, but I don't think the Bears will go there in round 1, and might not do so in round 2 either.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if a WR was picked, but I don't think the Bears will go there in round 1, and might not do so in round 2 either.

yeah I agree..I dont see us getting a WR in the 1st,RB or O-Line yes...I think we wont address WR's till the 3rd IMO

yeah I agree..I dont see us getting a WR in the 1st,RB or O-Line yes...I think we wont address WR's till the 3rd IMO

And a Corrollary I'll add to that statement is...if the Bears have an opportunity to pick up another person in FA at what should be below his real value, a-la Jackson, LLoyd, etc., I think they'll take that option first, because they have the cap room to do it and because they're trying to win now instead of trying to develop everyone. And I wouldn't be surprised if Angelo would be happier using his 3rd and 4th rounders or so on defense anyway, so if he could fill a couple roles on offense with guys like this, I think he will...and I think that's what he's tried to do so far with Booker and Lloyd.

And a Corrollary I'll add to that statement is...if the Bears have an opportunity to pick up another person in FA at what should be below his real value, a-la Jackson, LLoyd, etc., I think they'll take that option first, because they have the cap room to do it and because they're trying to win now instead of trying to develop everyone. And I wouldn't be surprised if Angelo would be happier using his 3rd and 4th rounders or so on defense anyway, so if he could fill a couple roles on offense with guys like this, I think he will...and I think that's what he's tried to do so far with Booker and Lloyd.

IMO we are building for the 09 season...if JA was trying to win,dont you think we would have done more in FA with the O-line and RB position's.

IMO we are building for the 09 season...if JA was trying to win,dont you think we would have done more in FA with the O-line and RB position's.

I think they might have done more with O-Line, but overall, once Faneca got away, I think it's hard to justify giving the money being spent on these guys to the people on the market.

Remember this little, I think correct, blurb from Peter King about the first weekend of FA last season. You don't win in this league based on big FA signings. You win with the value signing and with solid drafting.

The 49ers rebuilding their secondary by signing cornerback Nate Clements and safety Michael Lewis. San Francisco went from a defense that allowed 3,571 passing yards in 2006 to one that allowed 3,643 in 2007. Not a great weekend.

The Patriots made two big moves -- signing linebacker Adalius Thomas and trading for wideout Wes Welker. Thomas was OK, but wasn't the versatile rusher they thought he'd be. Welker was spectacular, catching 139 passes in New England's 18-1 season while being the security blanket Tom Brady never had. A good but not smashing weekend. • The Bills signed a new offensive line -- Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker -- before drafting a new mega-back, Marshawn Lynch. The result: Buffalo finished 30th in scoring (15.8 points per game), 30th in total offense (277.1 yards per game) and 15th in rushing (112.5 yards per game).

In other words, buyer beware.

Plus the 3rd/4th rounds are a very good place historically to grab safeties and QB's which are two need position which rank a bit below the oline, guard and WR position (so if they can address WR via FA, it will really allow JA to go best available a bit more in the middle to latter rounds of the draft).

I hope he takes that approach during Rd 1 and 2 as well. If the best available player is a WR take him, if its a RB take it, if its a OT take it. Bottom line unless it is a LB or CB (as they are clearly not needs) I want him going best available (mainly because I think given the strenghts of this draft best available will be a tackle or RB).

Plus the 3rd/4th rounds are a very good place historically to grab safeties and QB's which are two need position which rank a bit below the oline, guard and WR position (so if they can address WR via FA, it will really allow JA to go best available a bit more in the middle to latter rounds of the draft).

I hope he takes that approach during Rd 1 and 2 as well. If the best available player is a WR take him, if its a RB take it, if its a OT take it. Bottom line unless it is a LB or CB (as they are clearly not needs) I want him going best available (mainly because I think given the strenghts of this draft best available will be a tackle or RB).

On this I'm going to sort of 1/2 disagree with you, on the grounds that I don't think you can build a successful team by spending a lot of cap space and multiple high draft picks on RB's in year after year. The Bears have invested so much already in their RB spot that unless they're getting great value at that position (i.e. Mendenhall falls) then I think they need to focus on the area of the team that's been by far the most neglected, the O-Line. Unless some top 5 projected RB or WR falls (Is there a top WR this year?), I would even tolerate the Bears stretching a bit for an O-Line pick because I think that's by far their greatest need.