Niners forfeit draft pick in Lance Briggs tampering

adam

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArJN...p&type=lgns

NEW YORK (AP)—The San Francisco 49ers have forfeited their fifth-round pick in next month’s NFL draft after commissioner Roger Goodell deemed them guilty of tampering with Chicago linebacker Lance Briggs.

Goodell also determined the teams will switch picks in the third round of the April 26-27 draft. Chicago, which had the 12th pick, will get San Francisco’s seventh pick and the 49ers will get Chicago’s choice.

Goodell determined that the 49ers violated the NFL’s anti-tampering policy by contacting Briggs’ agent, Drew Rosenhaus, about his client during the 2007 season.

So we move up 5 spots in the 3rd (from 75 to 70). That actually equates to an early 6th round pick. I'll take it. SF loses a 5th and moves down in the 3rd.

So we now have 14, 44, 70, and 90 in the first 3 rounds.

Mods - I thought this deserved its own thread.

If you insist. Usually I'd have just merged this with the other Briggs thread and changed the title, but no big deal. For a bit more emphasis I did edit your title to stick in the 3rd round draft pick flipping, since that's at least a little bit of news.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArJN...p&type=lgns

So we move up 5 spots in the 3rd (from 75 to 70). That actually equates to an early 6th round pick. I'll take it. SF loses a 5th and moves down in the 3rd.

So we now have 14, 44, 70, and 90 in the first 3 rounds.

I'd be curious to know if the Bears had any input in what their compensation was. I thought it would have made more sense for the Bears simply to receive the 49er's 5th round pick.

This is the spot I look for the Bears to draft a QB. It may be that we were anxious to move up a few spots.

If you insist. Usually I'd have just merged this with the other Briggs thread and changed the title, but no big deal. For a bit more emphasis I did edit your title to stick in the 3rd round draft pick flipping, since that's at least a little bit of news.

Thx, I thought about that after. You can merge now, I just thought that it was sort of breaking news and people don't always check older threads.

Thx, I thought about that after. You can merge now, I just thought that it was sort of breaking news and people don't always check older threads.

I see nothing wrong with starting a new thread.

The previous was a thread mostly based on speculation as to what "MIGHT" happen.

This is a thread discussing what "DID" happen.

If the Bears use the pick received in exchange for the 49ers for a "REACH" selection AND it pans out and we find out we would not have gotten him except for the exchange, we WIN.

If the Bears use the pick received in exchange for the 49ers for a "REACH" selection AND it pans out and we find out we would still have gotten him without the exchange, we gained nothing.

If the Bears use the pick received in exchange for the 49ers for a "VALUE" selection AND it pans out and we find out we would not have gotten him except for the exchange, we WIN.

If the Bears use the pick received in exchange for the 49ers for a "VALUE" selection AND it pans out and we find out we would still have gotten him without the exchange, we gained nothing.

If the pick we get, value or reach, does not make our roster, it was all for naught anyways.

We can sit back and look at the results of this case after the season is over and have a better feel as to its true impact for our team. Hopefully it proves to be of benefit.

I thought the 49ers would get penalized. A 5th rd selection lost seems fair in that we still got Briggs signed to a reasonable deal. I suspect if we had lost him it would have been far more severe. The fact that all teams were aware of this possible problem (tampering) may have been one reason no one touched him.

I certainly am surprised we got any compensation at all.

I see nothing wrong with starting a new thread.

The previous was a thread mostly based on speculation as to what "MIGHT" happen.

This is a thread discussing what "DID" happen.

I would add that sometimes a thread gets stale, and is only kept up by one or two posters. If breaking news like this is simply thrown into that thread, it will get lost in the shuffle. We won a NFL hearing, where in we moved up in the 3rd round. I would say that absolutely warrants a new thread. Hell, if this was first posted simply in the former thread, I guarantee you someone else would have started it new, not having a clue it was already mentioned.

I too am glad to say you were wrong. :)

Kudos to JA and company for pursuing this. Not only did we move up we gained ground on an opponent by having them move back and lose a pick.

Being the 7th pick in the 3rd round makes it easier to move up into the late second if someone is there that we want. Remember on day one they only have rounds 1 and 2 so if someone falls there might not be as many teams noticing it late in the day as they start to prepare for day two and they might simply assume he'll be there for them early in Rd 3.

As far as thread moving is concerned, I am on record as not liking it.