Hester upset with contract

GakMan23

Bears | Hester reportedly unhappy with contract

Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:19:34 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Chicago Bears WR Devin Hester is reportedly unhappy with his contract, according to NFL Network's Deion Sanders. Sanders said, "They're looking for tremendous things from this guy, Devin Hester, but Devin Hester isn't happy with his contract and he deserves to be paid amongst the league's best." The team has only had preliminary talks with Hester's agent, Eugene Parker.

Yep...but I don't think any of this is a surprise to any of us...there's been talk of Urlacher, Harris and Hester floating around for a while.

But, man, I tell you...I've never like Deion Sanders (other than a player), and this just solidifies it.

And so the public phase of the negotiations begin.

After the last 2 years, the team knows darn well they can't lose Hester. Nothing but posturing here before they try to hit some serious negotiations on an extension between the draft and the deadline for this year's cap.

Bears | Hester reportedly unhappy with contract

Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:19:34 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Chicago Bears WR Devin Hester is reportedly unhappy with his contract, according to NFL Network's Deion Sanders. Sanders said, "They're looking for tremendous things from this guy, Devin Hester, but Devin Hester isn't happy with his contract and he deserves to be paid amongst the league's best." The team has only had preliminary talks with Hester's agent, Eugene Parker.

Deserves to be paid amongst the league best what?! Return men? WRs?

I admit that I absolutely love Hester as a player. He's possibly the most dangerous guy in the game. HOWEVER, he still doesn't know where to line up on offense when he's in there. So, other than a return man, what can the Bears judge him as? What can they pay him as?

To me, this screams of a pampered athlete with an asshole agent renigging on a contract yet again. It's funny that they always want to renegotiate halfway through the contract for some obscene difference, but the team's can't dump them without losing out. It's also funny to me that the majority of the contracts are front-loaded so that the guys get the majority of the "X million per year" contract, but want to renegotiate after the big years are behind.

This is the kind of stuff that makes average joes like me hate athletes. Honor your contract. If you want a raise, fine...here's your 3% a year.

He is a tough nut to crack... He's got load of ptential...but that it beyond the return game. I'm happy to get the kid more loot, he's earned it... But we'll see how it shakes out.

I have a feeling Sanders is pining for him, and he just eating it up. Sanders is as bad as his agent. I freakin' dislike that blow-hard.

As far as honoring contract, I fully undertand your comments, but it's not a similar comparison. Our jobs are not NFL jobs. NFL jobs are like actors or musicians. They live in a non-reality. I don't hate them for it, I'm personally jealous!

Deserves to be paid amongst the league best what?! Return men? WRs?

I admit that I absolutely love Hester as a player. He's possibly the most dangerous guy in the game. HOWEVER, he still doesn't know where to line up on offense when he's in there. So, other than a return man, what can the Bears judge him as? What can they pay him as?

To me, this screams of a pampered athlete with an asshole agent renigging on a contract yet again. It's funny that they always want to renegotiate halfway through the contract for some obscene difference, but the team's can't dump them without losing out. It's also funny to me that the majority of the contracts are front-loaded so that the guys get the majority of the "X million per year" contract, but want to renegotiate after the big years are behind.

This is the kind of stuff that makes average joes like me hate athletes. Honor your contract. If you want a raise, fine...here's your 3% a year.

I don't hate them for their contracts. Like you, I'm just jealous.

What I do hate them for, is their greed. They get these multi-million dollar contracts, and they don't honor them. They get all their money up front, and then cry and whine about being underpaid. They turn down millions and say that they are offended by the offers. It's as if they all forgot what it was like to be un-rich.

I feel that the honoring of contracts is just like a contract you or I would sign. That's why it's a contract. Sure, money goes up, and people get raises. But it's just that all too often, these guys want extraordinary raises, whereas we get a small percentage. If they do well, they should get a raise, but what they typically ask for is ridiculous.

I hear ya...

But I do think much of it stems from these contracts not being guaranteed. It places all the power with the employer...and I think these disputes are the only way the employee can get some power back. Not that I agree with it...but I think that's just the way it is.

What I do hate them for, is their greed. They get these multi-million dollar contracts, and they don't honor them. They get all their money up front, and then cry and whine about being underpaid. They turn down millions and say that they are offended by the offers. It's as if they all forgot what it was like to be un-rich.

I feel that the honoring of contracts is just like a contract you or I would sign. That's why it's a contract. Sure, money goes up, and people get raises. But it's just that all too often, these guys want extraordinary raises, whereas we get a small percentage. If they do well, they should get a raise, but what they typically ask for is ridiculous.

JA's not going to redo a rookier contract (only a four year one at that) with two years left unless Hester gives him an offer he JA can't refuse. This is maybe some posturing for next offseason.

I think JA considers verteran contracts a little different, especially if it's a nine year deal...but let's be honest, how interested are we in making sure in 2008 that we'll still have Urlacher's services at age 35 (after his current contract runs out at age 34)? An extension to Urlacher right now wouldn't be about securing his services, just keeping him happy. Meanwhile, if you really think Hester is the future, right now is a great time to renegotiate, because he'll only get more expensive if he becomes a great WR too. But I think Lovie and Angelo know that part of Hester's success is Dave Toub and his top-notch special teams, so they're not going to let Hester take them for too much of a ride after they put him in such a great situation to succeed, effectively making him a star and multimillionaire (in exhchange for Hester helping to make the Bears a contender).

It is possibly posturing...

But Hester has proven his worth beyond his initial contract. He does deserve more...the arguement is how much more.

JA's not going to redo a rookier contract (only a four year one at that) with two years left unless Hester gives him an offer he JA can't refuse. This is maybe some posturing for next offseason.

I think JA considers verteran contracts a little different, especially if it's a nine year deal...but let's be honest, how interested are we in making sure in 2008 that we'll still have Urlacher's services at age 35 (after his current contract runs out at age 34)? An extension to Urlacher right now wouldn't be about securing his services, just keeping him happy. Meanwhile, if you really think Hester is the future, right now is a great time to renegotiate, because he'll only get more expensive if he becomes a great WR too. But I think Lovie and Angelo know that part of Hester's success is Dave Toub and his top-notch special teams, so they're not going to let Hester take them for too much of a ride after they put him in such a great situation to succeed, effectively making him a star and multimillionaire (in exhchange for Hester helping to make the Bears a contender).

Couple points on this.

One, I am not ready to blast Hester. To the best of my knowledge, Hester has said nothing to the media, and has not made this an issue. Hester can not help it if a loud mouth pops off like this.

Two, I have a real problem giving Hester a new deal right now if he is looking at himself as a WR, and looking to be paid among the upper tier of WRs. As much potential as he has, and as much skill as he has shown, he has not shown yet that translates to WR, thus I do not understand the idea of giving him a contract that pays him among the elite WRs.

Frankly, I even have a problem giving him a new deal that does not pay him the big bucks he seeks. What happens if gets a deal that gives him a sweet bump, but this year he becomes the next Steve Smith? If he is unhappy now, imagine how unhappy he will be a year from now.

To me, it just does not make sense to shell out for him now. The risk is far to great paying him among the elite WRs, while at the same time, I think there is too great of a chance that if he does excel at WR, he would be unhappy w/ any deal given to him that does not reflect that upper tier of WRs.

I mentioned this before, but this goes back to my issue w/ the idea of locking up player before they breakout. I am not a fan of shelling out top tier deals before a player proves such a value. At the same time, i think it too often backfires when you sign a player for a reasonable contract prior to their breakout. Look at TJ or Alex Brown. We signed both player (extension for Brown) to reasonable contracts, but as soon as they out-produced their deals, they were complaining and demanding new deals. What once worked so well, I simply think has less value today.

Oh, cry me a damn river, Devin. Next time, don't go spend all your money on an all Louis Vitoun (sp?) car and a "pimped" out escalade, and maybe you'd have a little more.

He deserves about 4-6 million a year, probably more like 4. Like whoever said, he isn't anything more then an average WR and great return man as of now, so they should pay him for what he is, not what he might be in 2-4 years.

Your 100% right, I totally agree with you. I hate how players will sign a contract and have one or two good years and think they can just throw that contract out the window and they deserve another. Shut up Devin Hester, the Bears will not lose you, and you will be paid.

Would you trade Hester for both of Dallas #1's?

Would you trade Hester for Chad Johnson?

Is it blasphemy to talk of dealing Hester?

I do not think it is blasphemy to talk trade w/ any of our players.

I would not deal Hester for Chad Johnson, though I think there is value there. I simply do not believe our team, as it is set up right now, can deal w/ a player like CJ.

Both of Dallas' #1 picks. Yes. I would do that. As incredible as Hester is, I think his long term value for the team is less certain. We need so much, that 3 #1 picks would be simply too much ammo. And frankly, there are few players in the league, IMHO, who would not be worth two #1 picks, and none are on our team. I would take two #1 picks for anyone on our team.

I pretty much agree.

But man...I just have a hard time letting go of the guy! I love Hester! But 2 #1's is just good business... Dang...I'm torn. The fan in me says NO, and the GM in me says yes...

I would not deal Hester for Chad Johnson, though I think there is value there. I simply do not believe our team, as it is set up right now, can deal w/ a player like CJ.

Both of Dallas' #1 picks. Yes. I would do that. As incredible as Hester is, I think his long term value for the team is less certain. We need so much, that 3 #1 picks would be simply too much ammo. And frankly, there are few players in the league, IMHO, who would not be worth two #1 picks, and none are on our team. I would take two #1 picks for anyone on our team.

Yes. We could go with Otah then Hardy.

Hardy? Do you mean Harvey? If so, he will be long gone, and regardless, why would we want another DE. We already have too many.

Maybe. Hester and a 4th for Chad and their 2nd.

Just say no. CJ may well help our offense, but IMHO, our offense would still stink, and CJ would quickly be a locker room cancer. WRs like him are only happy when they are putting up big numbers, and in our offense, I doubt that would happen. He would not only throw our QBs under the bus, but would throw the entire offense (including staff) under, and then drive the bus himself.

I was going to answer my own question, but you did it for me. Agreed on all accounts. No Ocho Stinko!

And if a "joe" like you brought in a big client that doubled your business income in a year, you'd accept just a 3% raise?

Do you think that when Hester signed his deal, they were taking into account that he would score as many touchdowns as he has?

If you seriously improve your firm, you get a new deal, not just a 3% raise. That's true in business, and its true in sports. The problem here is that you never performed like Hester does, so you can't understand it.

And by the way, this goes both ways too. The Bears should do whatever is in their best interest, and not worry about loyalty to players. If they think 2 #1's are possible and worth it for Hester, and they want that deal, then they should make that happen too.

The Bears should worry about him after Harris, Gould, and Url. He will get his money but it will be most likely be during or after the season.

Peace :dabears

Agree I don't think anything will happen contract wise with Hester till the season is underway or after the season. Once we've had more opportunity to see what he has as a WR. At this point what little we've seen of him at WR he's been spotty at best. Not always knowing where to line up (and this is considering he's only been in for handful of plays a game which means he's only likely worked in practice on a few plays/patterns) which should be a pretty basic thing. At this point we only know what he brings as a return man and as it's been pointed out earlier in this thread that a degree of his success can be attributed to top notch special teams coached by dave taub (sp?) As a WR the jury's still out. Which is exactly why a deal will not get done till during the season (I'd guess mid season at the soonest) or after the season.

In some respects I could see him becoming a WR in the mold of a Willie Gault type. A burner who is your deep home run threat but beyond the speed is an average receiver. Not to knock Gault but he was more a situational receiver. I'm also not saying that's where Hester is but that is the role I think he could fit into. As long as Turner realizes maybe we should exploit his speed instead of running trick plays that require him to almost instantly beat several guys before he even finds open field. By the way Ron, you need to set up trick plays for them to work.

Got it. While I admit I have not seen him play, from what I have read, I am not a fan. I am a tad biased going in against WRs this year as everything seems to indicate this is simply not a good year for WRs.

From what I have read, there is no questioning his size, but that is about the only part of his game that isn't questioned. He sounds, going off reports, like another in the line of WRs who were able to produce in college, based largely on his size, but it sure doesn't sound like he has the rest of the game to take it to the next level. Lack of route running is a big issue for me.

Got it. While I admit I have not seen him play, from what I have read, I am not a fan. I am a tad biased going in against WRs this year as everything seems to indicate this is simply not a good year for WRs.

From what I have read, there is no questioning his size, but that is about the only part of his game that isn't questioned. He sounds, going off reports, like another in the line of WRs who were able to produce in college, based largely on his size, but it sure doesn't sound like he has the rest of the game to take it to the next level. Lack of route running is a big issue for me.

I agree in some respects; however, isn't that essentially what all receiving tight ends are/do? He'd be a faster version with better hands. If the Bears had Hardy, it would force the opponents hands.

They wouldn't be able to play zone, because there would be too many guys who can find the spaces. So they play man on man of some kind. That works to the Bears advantage because no defense in the NFL has the bodies to match up with the Bears' two tight ends AND a physical, 6'5" WR...and that's not even mentioning Marty Booker, who is the prototype for possession WRs IMHO.